CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
If the US could just use FIBA rules in HS and college we wouldn't really have this problem of adjusting to rules (except 3 in the key and goaltending, probably)
Luckily a lot of state HS associations are adopting the shot clock in a year or two.

So that's something.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
It is absolutely wild that this is a thing still
The no shot clock? I agree, but from my experiences it doesn't stop (at least in Illinois) high schools from the uptempo style of play. Only a rare few places are doing the Dean Smith four corners offense.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The no shot clock? I agree, but from my experiences it doesn't stop (at least in Illinois) high schools from the uptempo style of play. Only a rare few places are doing the Dean Smith four corners offense.
Well you can't get highlights if you're just chucking it around the perimeter for 90 seconds so I get that...more of a standardization of rules thing for me

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
PWill better be taking notice and sack up

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bulls signed their summer league star DJ Steward to a two way contract. Chicago native as well. Will probably never see the roster, much like Carlik Jones

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Bulls signed their summer league star DJ Steward to a two way contract. Chicago native as well. Will probably never see the roster, much like Carlik Jones

He almost had every pass tipped, and his footwork gets him tripped going weakside. I sure hope he doesn't make it onto the roster anytime soon. He'd easily average one turnover per minute in the NBA if the RS started today.
But he gets hot and has range, so yeah, glad they sign these guys now. Develop him 100%. Glad they didn't let him walk.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He almost had every pass tipped, and his footwork gets him tripped going weakside. I sure hope he doesn't make it onto the roster anytime soon. He'd easily average one turnover per minute in the NBA if the RS started today.
But he gets hot and has range, so yeah, glad they sign these guys now. Develop him 100%. Glad they didn't let him walk.
I'm just reminded of last year's summer league hero Jevon Freeman-Liberty, who the Bulls let sign with Toronto and the Bulls internet fandom was in outrage over it. JVL played all of 22 games for the Raptors and then got waived

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Aside from first round draft picks, any SL or GL pickups have an expectation level of relief and supplementation. None of these guys are expected to win games, they are just expected to not lose games and act as an extension of coaching tools out-side of played games. DJ Steward needs to show his Ball IQ now, because he's 6'2", not show he can come in and exploit opponent star players. Fans expectations with JFL, cheap contract, sure. We could have signed him too. Those practice guys, locker room guys, hungry young guys, the better the Bulls irrelevant guy stash is, the better the chips we have to work with.

You build from the top and the bottom in the NBA, eventually those guys at the top are on the bottom, and sometimes you luck out on someone from the bottom that realistically gets into the middle(JL3 for example on realistic expectations), rarely the top. If you don't play the lottery, you can't win it.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Aside from first round draft picks, any SL or GL pickups have an expectation level of relief and supplementation. None of these guys are expected to win games, they are just expected to not lose games and act as an extension of coaching tools out-side of played games. DJ Steward needs to show his Ball IQ now, because he's 6'2", not show he can come in and exploit opponent star players. Fans expectations with JFL, cheap contract, sure. We could have signed him too. Those practice guys, locker room guys, hungry young guys, the better the Bulls irrelevant guy stash is, the better the chips we have to work with.

You build from the top and the bottom in the NBA, eventually those guys at the top are on the bottom, and sometimes you luck out on someone from the bottom that realistically gets into the middle(JL3 for example on realistic expectations), rarely the top. If you don't play the lottery, you can't win it.
Let's not forget that Alex Caruso was once one of these SL pickups. He's not the only one either. As you said, can't win the lottery if you don't play.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Per Lonzo on his latest podcast, he's expected to play 5v5 in August and is on track to playing at the start of the season, presuming he holds up in these 5v5 workouts.

The ship has sailed on him being a key member of this team, but just on a human level I hope he can come back and play NBA ball again