21/22 Official Blackhawks Season thread

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Anyone know what the red lapel flowers are for?

chris71

Liked Posts:
Whether its just the reaction and kick up the backside from the team after Colliton was canned or the fact the team are now able to play in a way that suits them without being stifled by Collitons coaching its a marked improvement.
Its not playoff form by a long way but its the first time in a few years that the team has actually looked together and interested which is encouraging to build on for next season. At least we have more hope now Colliton has gone than before and the decision to can him was the right one without any doubt.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Best the team has looked in years...mainly 'cause they look like a team.

Honestly, they did nothing special, they just did what any hockey team should do, especially defensively: blocked shots, got stick in shooting lanes, actually got pucks out of the zone, made the smart play exiting, etc.

Where has this Calvin de Haan been?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Honestly, they did nothing special, they just did what any hockey team should do, especially defensively: blocked shots, got stick in shooting lanes, actually got pucks out of the zone, made the smart play exiting, etc.

Where has this Calvin de Haan been?
It was more a comment on how the Beancounter and his Lackey had the guys playing like 19 separate individuals on the ice, and not a team.

And I agree with you on DeHaan. He looked less like Danny Richmond and more like Nik Hjalmarsson.
Anyone know what the red lapel flowers are for?
I believe it has to do with Remembrance day in Canada/Britain

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And JC isn't making them stuff dildos in their ass in the corner, or hammer their thumbs repeatedly, blocking shots pointlessly in their own end without attacking to hold a 1 goal lead with 40 minutes left.

Minus JC it's a fair fight if we just be ourselves and it feels damn good.
Thanks for the mental image :D

Granada

Liked Posts:
It was more a comment on how the Beancounter and his Lackey had the guys playing like 19 separate individuals on the ice, and not a team.

And I agree with you on DeHaan. He looked less like Danny Richmond and more like Nik Hjalmarsson.
I believe it has to do with Remembrance day in Canada/Britain

One of Hawks analysts mentioned this when Colliton was fired and it was a good point. I'm paraphrasing here but he basically said, for the players, it's easy to say that you need to "reset" as a team, but until there is an actual tangible change, it's very hard for a team to truly reset. If everything is the same, it's almost like pretending to reset. Now that there is an actual reset -- a literal reset -- by firing Colliton, the team can now reset for real, and that looks like what they're doing. Hopefully it continues.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
One of Hawks analysts mentioned this when Colliton was fired and it was a good point. I'm paraphrasing here but he basically said, for the players, it's easy to say that you need to "reset" as a team, but until there is an actual tangible change, it's very hard for a team to truly reset. If everything is the same, it's almost like pretending to reset. Now that there is an actual reset -- a literal reset -- by firing Colliton, the team can now reset for real, and that looks like what they're doing. Hopefully it continues.

I heard that as well. Basically, every player was given a clean slate to start from.
To me it looks like Strome really isn't taking advantage of that.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I heard that as well. Basically, every player was given a clean slate to start from.
Strome won 78% of his draws playing with Rockford guys and Dach won 25% of his playing with two of the best in the game last night.......that seems right? Let's assess all the centers the same,if Dach is even a center at this point @32%

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Strome won 78% of his draws playing with Rockford guys and Dach won 25% of his playing with two of the best in the game last night.......that seems right? Let's assess all the centers the same,if Dach is even a center at this point @32%

I meant more of his play without the puck. He still doesn't fight along the boards for loose pucks. In fact, last night he completely bailed out on a puck he got to first. Doesn't look like a guy willing to redeem himself.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
It's really too bad it didn't happen in the offseason and put them in such a big hole, and that's fully on Stan and his arrogance for thinking JC was still the right person. We all saw over the summer that Stan was making a run at one last shot with the team and on Paper a lot of good moves were made to bring in talent. But we all were like, talent on paper is great but the team still seems to have holes and a coach that doesn't know how to fill them through coaching. He just tries to cover them up by double shifting stars. It's only been two games, but you can visibly see how much of a different team this is and how they are playing. Both goals last night were the first of the season for both players. But I'll just mark that as a coincidence.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I meant more of his play without the puck. He still doesn't fight along the boards for loose pucks. In fact, last night he completely bailed out on a puck he got to first. Doesn't look like a guy willing to redeem himself.

I saw that too. I think he's been a tad better the last couple games, but not much. He did make a nice play offensively. I wanted Strome in, and I still do, but from watching him the last few games, I understand the previous coaching staff's anger at him because he's essentially useless defensively. If you're a stud offensively, you can get away with that, but not when you're Strome. That said, I still think he should be in the lineup.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree. I think the best time to move on would have been the offseason, but realistically JC was going nowhere with Stan there, and the report didn't (Rightfully) crucify Stan until the season was underway.

I think JC kinda dug his own grave though. The system he deployed wasn't working. JC had to see that. With the writing on the wall once Stan got bounced he probably should have taken a good look at his system and maybe tried to alter it to fit the personnel better. He didn't so out he goes. It was an exercise in futility not unlike a Wile E. Coyote endeavor. Maybe he winds up back in the NHL in the future, but I think a lot like Mike Johnston, he's not a good coach for pros, but a better development coach.

I agree, and it's a bit puzzling especially considering Strome looked like he wanted to be there in the preseason.

I'm starting to really think Dach is not a center at this point as well.

It's really too bad it didn't happen in the offseason and put them in such a big hole, and that's fully on Stan and his arrogance for thinking JC was still the right person. We all saw over the summer that Stan was making a run at one last shot with the team and on Paper a lot of good moves were made to bring in talent. But we all were like, talent on paper is great but the team still seems to have holes and a coach that doesn't know how to fill them through coaching. He just tries to cover them up by double shifting stars. It's only been two games, but you can visibly see how much of a different team this is and how they are playing. Both goals last night were the first of the season for both players. But I'll just mark that as a coincidence.
It seems like ever since 2018 Stan was always trying to do one last run, much to the team's detriment.