21/22 Official Blackhawks Season thread

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Does 1-10-2 get this guy fired?

That’s such a hole to get out of the next coach will have his work cut out for him.

Honestly, it would take a ten game win streak to put the Hawks in fourth place with projections. To go along with all the bullshit attached with this organization, only a desperate coach, a guy looking for a break, or somebody already in the org would take that gig right now.

I wonder if Torts would be interested if offered

Granada

Liked Posts:

That’s such a hole to get out of the next coach will have his work cut out for him.

Honestly, it would take a ten game win streak to put the Hawks in fourth place with projections. To go along with all the bullshit attached with this organization, only a desperate coach, a guy looking for a break, or somebody already in the org would take that gig right now.

Not sure. I'd be fine with it, but as I've said before, these aren't coaching mistakes. Last game, I don't fault Colliton. McCabe trying to make a fucking stretch pass when he has a wide-open Toews with zero pressure on him, that's all McCabe. Guss with his stupid-ass half-pinch that leads to a breakaway, that's all Guss. Jones activating even though his team is up 2 goals instead of just being responsible and staying back, that's all Jones. It's nice to finally see Colliton snap somewhat, and honestly, he's right -- this team doesn't need to score every shift, they just need to play competent defense and wait for their chances, but they always do the opposite.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
at 1-10-2 it's already too late. The season is over. Start lining up the trade deadline deals to put a future back together. ooohhh wait you can't, you don't have a GM or executive team. Can't fire the coach until you have a new GM, probably can't have a new GM until you have a new president, Can't get a new president until things die down a bit because what good president is going to want to walk into this trash... It's a fucking unending self deprecating, self fulfilling, whatever you want to call it, cycle of shit right now.

Might as well just fire the coach, let Crawford take over, focus on getting a president who can bring in a GM by the trade deadline in order to get some prospects and picks out of this season to start the long road back to the rebuild we should have started 3 years ago.

I bet history shows that no team with 1 win through 13 games has ever made the playoffs, no idea don't know how to look it up, but right now with this team the playoffs might be the worst thing for them.

blackpep72

Liked Posts:

Why would you want Torts ?

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I always liked the flare that Torts coached with more than the thought of actually wanting him as the coach. He had a rough run with CBJ but it's hard to tell how much was him and how much is just columbus. But I'd be down for someone who has experience bit is more of a younger up and comer. Just not so young that he's coliton 2.0. No idea who that would be.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Honestly?

Torts with talent is a great coach. He will get the most out of his skill players as possible. He will hold players accountable and has no problems shortening his bench. He had Saad on the fourth line for being lazy. That’s the type of kick in the ass this team needs.

The problem with him is he only has a four year window before players tune him out. But, if any coach can pull this team to a ten game win streak, I’ll bet on Torts over Colonton.

But, I really think the Hawks as a whole have given up on this season. I don’t see them trying too hard to win until all the drama dies down instead of becoming a bad boy team throwing up the middle finger at the media and the league with a “we pulled some fucked up shit and still win, bitches!!” attitude.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I've never been the biggest fan of Torts and his the thing in Calgary's hallway (or was it Van?) when he tried to bust into their locker room, he just looked like a complete clown. He's obviously a hot head and must be a real prick to play for, but then again, maybe that's what this team needs at this point, I don't know.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I always liked the flare that Torts coached with more than the thought of actually wanting him as the coach. He had a rough run with CBJ but it's hard to tell how much was him and how much is just columbus. But I'd be down for someone who has experience bit is more of a younger up and comer. Just not so young that he's coliton 2.0. No idea who that would be.
While I have to laugh hard in agreement that he is such a massive upgrade my dislike of him is mute.

In review, I only don't like him because I think team USA needed to be better at the top.

At least he is a competent NHL coach capable of innovation and carefully interpreted changes at NHL level.

Torts would be refreshing in our situation but I doubt he would have us.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I’ll take Torts. His style screams Chicago and meatballs will love his press conferences. This team needs to be held accountable for their piss poor play, and Torts is a guy just sitting there waiting for the call.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Torts might be the only chance at a salvage, and has a Kane relationship to start leadership from at the top.

Definitely ask Kane about that choice.

DaHawkz24

Liked Posts:
That makes me think they will do the same for the GM position... Or Davidson/King will just continue being GM/Coach for the long term. If the team is playing better I don't have a problem with that

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
That makes me think they will do the same for the GM position... Or Davidson/King will just continue being GM/Coach for the long term. If the team is playing better I don't have a problem with that
It kinda sucks thought to be in limbo at what may be one of the most important trade deadlines we've had in a while knowing we'll probably be full blown sellers.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's an opportunity for these guys. Cool.

The division standing don't look horrible, but good starts by Wild/Blues and bad starts by Avs/Vegas/Dallas won't help matters come spring.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's an opportunity for these guys. Cool.

The division standing don't look horrible, but good starts by Wild/Blues and bad starts by Avs/Vegas/Dallas won't help matters come spring.
The team stats still look bad:

2nd to last in the league on goal differential (-20)
3rd from last in GF/GP (2.15)
2nd to last in GA/GP (3.63)
5th last in SF/GP (29.0)
Last in 5on5 GA (39)
Running a team .885 SV%

Not everything is bad of course (we do have a very good PK), and most of those stats were done when JC was at the helm. It's still a very hefty mountain to climb, with a lot needing to rectify itself just with the players and the gameplan itself. Once the honeymoon with the new coach ends we'll have to see how the boys do through the middle stretch of the year.

I really think a lot of the lineup was built with the caveat that a lot of things have to go right for it to succeed. That still hasn't changed in my opinion, except the clock somewhat reset. Now that we have a (possible) real coach instead of a beancounter's lackey, we really need to see if some of the guys we expected to be good and haven't been can fix themselves.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Best the team has looked in years...mainly 'cause they look like a team.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Best the team has looked in years...mainly 'cause they look like a team.
And JC isn't making them stuff dildos in their ass in the corner, or hammer their thumbs repeatedly, blocking shots pointlessly in their own end without attacking to hold a 1 goal lead with 40 minutes left.

Minus JC it's a fair fight if we just be ourselves and it feels damn good.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
This feels like another one where next goal wins.