4 Teams With Serious Interest in Khalil Mack

34 GOAT

Liked Posts:
Pace sold the farm to move up one spot to get Trubs, which is a move I hated. I am hoping he would do the same thing to get us a pro bowl caliber edge rusher in his prime, but he won't because that move would make sense to me.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Pace sold the farm to move up one spot to get Trubs, which is a move I hated. I am hoping he would do the same thing to get us a pro bowl caliber edge rusher in his prime, but he won't because that move would make sense to me.

A Pro Bowl edge rusher means nothing without a bonafide QB already in place. Bears need to first establish that Trubisky is the future and then they can worry about the pass rush a bit more. This is why Pace went all in on weapons for Trubisky and Nagy as the HC. Without a QB, you're going nowhere in the NFL.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

no he didn't.....

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If I'm the Raiders I would take the Bears' 1st over the Packers 1st plus 2nd.

I would rather have something in the ball park of 6th or 7th overall than the ~25th and 57th overall.

Obviously this is based on how good I think the Bears and Packers are going to be in 2018. If the Raiders are run by CCS posters who think the Bears will be 9-7 and the Packers will be 10-6, then you go with the two picks.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Except we don't get that 1st rd pick on a rookie contract. It's like drafting under the old CBA on steroids...

Absolutely. It is like drafting under the old CBA on steroids. The salary got pumped up to 22 million while the player got pumped up from potential NFL starter to potential NFL Hall-of-Famer.

Sounds fair.

34 GOAT

Liked Posts:
A Pro Bowl edge rusher means nothing without a bonafide QB already in place. Bears need to first establish that Trubisky is the future and then they can worry about the pass rush a bit more. This is why Pace went all in on weapons for Trubisky and Nagy as the HC. Without a QB, you're going nowhere in the NFL.

Are you actually saying, that you don't get player of Macks caliber because you are not sure of the qb you went all in on? That is lunacy. Even if Trubs is just another Trent Dilfer ( heaven forbid), you can win a Super Bowl with a dominant Defense. Mack would be an excellent step towards making our defense dominant.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
So, your saying Mike Glennon (FA-18.5 mil), Kevin White(1st rd pick 4.1 mil), Leonard Floyd(1st rd pick 4.0 mil) total of two firsts and 26.5 mil > Khali Mack for two firsts at 22 mil?

There is an old saying, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Lol in no way did I say that... but okay. I didn't even make the initial comment. I was simply trying to show didshereallysaythat, that there is still a different between risk and value. I didn't mention any players. It's just to explain why some people may have reservations about the pick.

By your logic, you can also get something like Akiem Hicks (9.6M)+re-sign Goldman and Amos (~10-12M total), and still end up picking other players that aren't busts. What if instead of KW, we got Beasley? And Floyd still can be great, no one knows yet. But the combo of Hicks, Goldman, Amos, Beasley, and Floyd, would be arguably better than just Mack. That's like half the D for the same value. You can keep going with any combo of players, so your point is kind of irrelevant. My point was simply that there is a difference between risk and value. Just because someone doesn't think the value is not worth it, doesn't mean they wouldn't take the risk if the value was more balanced. It's not solely about risk, as didshereallysaythat kept implying.

34 GOAT

Liked Posts:
why do people keep pushing this bullshit?

He sold the farm? LOL

Ok, maybe that was a bit hyperbolic, but when trade you trade picks for a player you would have got anyway,( and if even if someone would have traded up to 2, I highly doubt it would have been for Trubs, and if it was then you could still draft a qb in Watson) in my opinion you bought a lot of blue sky.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol in no way did I say that... but okay. I didn't even make the initial comment. I was simply trying to show didshereallysaythat, that there is still a different between risk and value. I didn't mention any players. It's just to explain why some people may have reservations about the pick.

By your logic, you can also get something like Akiem Hicks (9.6M)+re-sign Goldman and Amos (~10-12M total), and still end up picking other players that aren't busts. What if instead of KW, we got Beasley? And Floyd still can be great, no one knows yet. But the combo of Hicks, Goldman, Amos, Beasley, and Floyd, would be arguably better than just Mack. That's like half the D for the same value. You can keep going with any combo of players, so your point is kind of irrelevant. My point was simply that there is a difference between risk and value. Just because someone doesn't think the value is not worth it, doesn't mean they wouldn't take the risk if the value was more balanced. It's not solely about risk, as didshereallysaythat kept implying.

Huh? You think you can sign Hicks, goldman, Amos, Beasely and Floyd for less than 22 mil? I think your a nut case. LOL, and your what iff'ing your self right out of the argument. You didn't get Beasely, or any player of his caliber in the first to date, Amos and Goldman could still be had as they were not first round picks, so what is your point exactly??

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

2x3rd round picks and a 4th round pick is the farm?

Sweet Jesus people, those picks get tossed around by teams.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I will literally bet you everything I have that the Bears' next THREE first round picks won't come close to the value of a Khalil Mack...

What does that have to do with my post? And 3 1sts is more than QBs go far...if you’ll bet your crusty socks and your Xbox on it, I take it you would trade 3 1sts for Mack? That’s hilarious.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well that would be a very risky bet for you since you have zero way of knowing how any of those 3 picks will end up. I think if someone actually took you up on that bet and it was real and not some fictional bet and that you'd literally have to give up everything you would not make that bet. Internet talk is all.

It has been 18 years since the Bears drafted someone in the 1st round that has/had a similar resume to Khalil Mack.

I actually think that the odds are in his favor.

If you look at the list of players who have won DPOY and been a 2x All Pro in their first 4 seasons the list shrinks to a minuscule number of players. So the chances that the Bears draft someone on Mack's level in the next 3 years is very small, not because the Bears suck, but because of the eliteness of Mack.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Ok, maybe that was a bit hyperbolic, but when trade you trade picks for a player you would have got anyway,( and if even if someone would have traded up to 2, I highly doubt it would have been for Trubs, and if it was then you could still draft a qb in Watson) in my opinion you bought a lot of blue sky.

There's no guarantee that they would have got him at 3

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There's no guarantee that they would have got him at 3

This is true.

Being upset over losing those picks is a waste of time, much of the value was recouped in other trades.

If your GM is afraid to move mid round picks then he should not be your GM. We also tossed a 4th round pick to get Anthony Miller, everyone okay with that? We tossed a 5th round pick to move up for Eddie Jackson, we are okay with that?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
People are too in love with draft picks and I get it. The Bears drafted like garbage for the better part of a decade and all we heard about was needing to "stockpile" picks and needing more picks.

The truth is you do not need more picks, you need to make good picks. Somewhere along the line we started to equating quantity with quality.

Last season the Bears made 5 picks and it might be their best draft class in a long time. They have 4 players that look like long term starters/contributors and one of them plays QB.

If it costs extra picks to get a player that you really want and feel strongly about you have to make that move. If the Bears had been too protective of their picks Anthony Miller would not be here and we would be down 1 building block player.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Too bad you couldn't of gotten a hold of pace to let him know that from your perspective of sitting behind your computer and tv you're 100% sure that Trubs would of dropped to #3 and even if any team traded up to #2 then from your perspective from sitting behind your computer and tv they would not have drafted Trubs....if only.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
It has been 18 years since the Bears drafted someone in the 1st round that has/had a similar resume to Khalil Mack.

I actually think that the odds are in his favor.

If you look at the list of players who have won DPOY and been a 2x All Pro in their first 4 seasons the list shrinks to a minuscule number of players. So the chances that the Bears draft someone on Mack's level in the next 3 years is very small, not because the Bears suck, but because of the eliteness of Mack.

So as another poster said you think Mack is worth more than Trubisky, Floyd and R.Smith.....smart people. Glad you're not building any NFL team.

I think we've covered pretty good in this thread that drafting a player with the talent of Mack doesn't happen every draft but i'll still go ahead and take those 3 players over the one Mack.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As Joe Banner said the Eagles internal study showed that at best a 1st round pick was 50/50 top become a solid NFL starter regardless of team.

The chances of becoming an elite DPOY and All Pro early in your career is even more miniscule. There really have only been 4 players that have fit that profile in the last 10 years, Mack, Watt, Donald and Keuchly.

4 players in roughly 160 1st round defensive players is 2.5%.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
This is true.

Being upset over losing those picks is a waste of time, much of the value was recouped in other trades.

If your GM is afraid to move mid round picks then he should not be your GM. We also tossed a 4th round pick to get Anthony Miller, everyone okay with that? We tossed a 5th round pick to move up for Eddie Jackson, we are okay with that?

We also tossed next years 2nd rounder to get A.Miller.