4 Teams With Serious Interest in Khalil Mack

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So as another poster said you think Mack is worth more than Trubisky, Floyd and R.Smith.....smart people. Glad you're not building any NFL team.

I think we've covered pretty good in this thread that drafting a player with the talent of Mack doesn't happen every draft but i'll still go ahead and take those 3 players over the one Mack.

I would not trade 3 1st round picks for anyone in the league not named Aaron Rodgers.

I think that Mack is worth as much as Floyd and Smith, QB is an entirely different animal.

The truth is that there are a very small and finite number of elite NFL players. Those players are very rare and hard to find. Simply building a team of really good players is not going to win you a Superbowl unless you have an elite QB. The Bears do not lack for good players, in fact most positions on the Bears are staffed by "good players", but because the QB is not elite [fingers crossed, yet] then they need an elite impact from other spots.

The nice part about it is that they are not paying the QB elite money and can afford to make moves for elite players elsewhere.

Where you get screwed in the NFL is if you are paying a non-elite QB elite money and cannot make moves to get the players you need elsewhere. A team like the 49ers needs to hope Jimmy G is legit because they have so many resources tied to him they cannot make other moves.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We also tossed next years 2nd rounder to get A.Miller.

We just spent it early.

The 4th round pick this year was literally given up to make the move. I would be livid if Pace had sat on that pick and not moved.

34 GOAT

Liked Posts:
This is true.

Being upset over losing those picks is a waste of time, much of the value was recouped in other trades.

If your GM is afraid to move mid round picks then he should not be your GM. We also tossed a 4th round pick to get Anthony Miller, everyone okay with that? We tossed a 5th round pick to move up for Eddie Jackson, we are okay with that?

You are correct, being upset at those picks is a waste of time since you cannot change the past, but they can serve as a reminder what pace has accomplished, and the decisions he has made, and if Watson turns out to be a bust, and Trubs takes us to the playoffs, I will gladly eat a large helping of crow. However if that is not the case, we can chalk up another failure for pace. GM's have also tossed around first round draft picks to get a top caliber player, and why he wouldn't do that now when a rare commodity of a pro bowl edge rusher becomes available?

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
We just spent it early.

The 4th round pick this year was literally given up to make the move. I would be livid if Pace had sat on that pick and not moved.

The move Pace made for Miller was genius. Basically gave up a 4th rd pick to make his 2nd rd pick a year early.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
You are correct, being upset at those picks is a waste of time since you cannot change the past, but they can serve as a reminder what pace has accomplished, and the decisions he has made, and if Watson turns out to be a bust, and Trubs takes us to the playoffs, I will gladly eat a large helping of crow. However if that is not the case, we can chalk up another failure for pace. GM's have also tossed around first round draft picks to get a top caliber player, and why he wouldn't do that now when a rare commodity of a pro bowl edge rusher becomes available?

How often do you call in to The Score?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I agree on the Mack issue.

The Watson-Trubisky debate will be interesting, but no one in the NFL thought Watson was going to be great, team after team passed on him. So to blame Pace for that would be a little much.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There are really 3 ways to be a real contender in the NFL.

1. Have an elite QB [Packers, Patriots] QB covers up roster weaknesses

2. Have elite players and an average-above average QB [Minnesota, Pittsburgh now that Ben has declined]

Or the real sweet spot...

3. Have elite players and an elite QB on a rookie deal [Eagles]

If you do not fit into one of those categories you really are not set up to contend over a sustained period of time.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I agree on the Mack issue.

The Watson-Trubisky debate will be interesting, but no one in the NFL thought Watson was going to be great, team after team passed on him. So to blame Pace for that would be a little much.

I disagree on that. Pace would fully be to blame/praise for the Watson-Trubisky debate. QB was his complete focus for this team, it didn't matter what other teams thought. And for that matter, Watson was drafted 12th overall, so you can't say team after team passed on him. It's not like he dropped to the 2nd or 3rd round.

Watson was obviously a top pick at the QB position, and Pace chose otherwise. That's on Pace, for good or bad.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I disagree on that. Pace would fully be to blame for the Watson-Trubisky debate. QB was his complete focus for this team, it didn't matter what other teams thought. And for that matter, Watson was drafted 12th overall, so you can't say team after team passed on him. It's not like he dropped to the 2nd or 3rd round.

Watson was obviously a top pick at the QB position, and Pace chose otherwise. That's on Pace, for good or bad.

True, only one other Team passed on Watson, and that was KC with Mahomes, the other teams did not select a QB.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Except we don't get that 1st rd pick on a rookie contract. It's like drafting under the old CBA on steroids...

Except of course the guy is a proven elite player rather than a college player you just hoping is good.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Too bad you couldn't of gotten a hold of pace to let him know that from your perspective of sitting behind your computer and tv you're 100% sure that Trubs would of dropped to #3 and even if any team traded up to #2 then from your perspective from sitting behind your computer and tv they would not have drafted Trubs....if only.

Well actually Peter King was in the Niners draft room and said he thought Trubs would be there at 3. That was widely reported.

Water under the bridge now but your ad hominem attack on the poster for having a different opinion is misguided.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Are you actually saying, that you don't get player of Macks caliber because you are not sure of the qb you went all in on? That is lunacy. Even if Trubs is just another Trent Dilfer ( heaven forbid), you can win a Super Bowl with a dominant Defense. Mack would be an excellent step towards making our defense dominant.

Mack would make the Bears defense better. No question. That's not saying much though since anyone with a pulse at OLB would likely make the defense better too. Before the Bears are giving up 1st rounders for anyone, they need to see more from Trubisky first.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Well actually Peter King was in the Niners draft room and said he thought Trubs would be there at 3. That was widely reported.

Water under the bridge now but your ad hominem attack on the poster for having a different opinion is misguided.

Yes we've been over the Peter King in the 49ers draft room many times on here but there is still no solid proof about if he would of been there at 3 and if another team would of traded to #2 to get him. Just a bunch of here say.

Thanks for more of nothing though.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Are the Bears a Super Bowl contender with Mack? Because if they're not, how does the team get there next year when they're missing their first 2 picks and have limited cap space?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
https://t.co/BPZKl77xMM

Multiple Execs Are Buying the Bears Khalil Mack Trade Idea

Chicago Bears Khalil Mack trade cries won’t go away. If anything they’ve only grown louder. At least on social media. Even current Bears players have enjoyed jokes at expense of the rumors. Fun aside, people just aren’t sure what’s going to happen with the 27-year old former Defensive Player of the Year. Some think the Oakland Raiders will bide their time until he ends his holdout. Others think he’ll be dealt at some point.

There are so many wild cards involved that it’s difficult to predict. The biggest of all is Jon Gruden. Oakland threw everything into chaos when they not only hired him as the new head coach but also gave him GM powers as well. Suddenly a man who hadn’t been on a team in a decade and never dealt with modern players was in charge.

Never mind the fact he had no connection to Mack. This has been one of the biggest reasons people think a trade is possible. Gruden is not the type to fear such a bold move, having already made a number of trades that shocked some people the past few months. He could easily decide to cut his losses and send Mack elsewhere. In his eyes, it would remove a distraction, net quality assets in return, and save a ton of money.

The question becomes do the Bears have a shot if he’s available?

Bears Khalil Mack trade idea sounds promising to top NFL minds
Mike Sando of ESPN dug deeper into the Mack trade possibility. The general belief among the outside NFL community is the Raiders are willing to listen to offers, but won’t give Mack up for cheap. It’s going to cost multiple high draft choices or a high draft choice and a good player in return. When the idea of the Bears making a play for him was offered, it wasn’t shot down.

“ONE EXEC SAID HE COULD ENVISION THE BEARS CONSIDERING A MOVE FOR MACK. ANOTHER MENTIONED CHICAGO AS THE TYPE OF TEAM THAT COULD CONSIDER IT, BASED ON NEED AND FLEXIBILITY. THE BEARS ARE BANKING ON LEONARD FLOYD TO STAY HEALTHY AND PRODUCE AS THEIR TOP PASS-RUSHER, BUT THEY NEED HELP. THEY ALSO DO NOT HAVE A HIGHLY PAID QUARTERBACK.”

Two execs both saying it’s a strong possibility is something to think about, but it didn’t end there. Sando also spoke to a GM from another team about the Mack situation. Without being prompted, the man actually referenced Chicago as well as the Jets as the two primary teams that are most likely to go after him, if anyone does.

“IF I WAS A BETTING MAN, I’D BET ON MACK PLAYING OUT THE YEAR WITH OAKLAND. BECAUSE IF YOU ARE GOING TO GIVE UP TWO ONES, AND THEN AARON DONALD IS GOING TO COME IN AT A REALLY HIGH NUMBER, AND THEN MACK IS GOING TO WANT MORE THAN THAT, IT’S A LOT. THE JETS AND CHICAGO ARE TWO TEAMS THAT COULD DO IT, IN MY MIND. BUT IT’S A LOT.”

This comes down to Ryan Pace. So far in his career, the Bears GM has never made a significant trade to acquire a veteran player from another. All of his notable moves have taken place during the NFL draft. So this would be a substantial departure from his normal mode of operation. Also don’t forget he already gave up a second rounder in 2019 to acquire Anthony Miller.

Giving up two first rounders or a first and a future second or third will be a huge price to pay. Never mind the large contract he’d have to hand over as well. It would come down to whether Pace thinks that move would make his team an instant contender. A question only he can answer.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Are the Bears a Super Bowl contender with Mack? Because if they're not, how does the team get there next year when they're missing their first 2 picks and have limited cap space?

They are not but will definitely get more sacks and QB pressure.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Look, I don’t literally think the Raiders will get 3 firsts for Mack. But me saying the Bears’ next 3 firsts won’t come close to the value of a Khalil Mack is NOT the same as saying Mack is worth Floyd, Trubisky and Smith. All of those are top 10 picks. One is (hopefully) a franchise quarterback. God willing, none of the Bears’ next 3 first-round picks will be top 10 or quarterbacks.

It was simply to illustrate that I’d rather take a swing and try instead of playing scared. Because when the dust settles 3 years from now, Mack will still be on a HOF trajectory, and the Bears’ next 3 picks...likely won’t.

It’s ok to disagree, but don’t put words in my mouth.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams

Mack is a special talent and if the Bears believe in Trubisky as being the franchise QB they drafted him to be then the loss of those picks won't be as detrimental if the Bears were still searching for that QB. Would those picks be beneficial? Of course. But with NardFlo, Blowquan, Trevathan, and Mack as the LB's, the defense is exponetially better without the question of "Is this rookie LB going to be worth the 1st round draft pick?" I don't think the Bears end up making a deal, but the fact that there are nearly 500 posts arguing against getting a top 10 defensive talent because it could cost the Bears a couple draft picks or because he will command a high cap number is beyond me.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I disagree on that. Pace would fully be to blame/praise for the Watson-Trubisky debate. QB was his complete focus for this team, it didn't matter what other teams thought. And for that matter, Watson was drafted 12th overall, so you can't say team after team passed on him. It's not like he dropped to the 2nd or 3rd round.

A top QB gets picked at least in the top 5 of a draft.

GMs did not think (yet it seems that they were wrong) that Watson was a top QB in the 2017 draft. Trubisky was considered a top QB in the 2017 NFL draft and he was drafted in the top 5.

Do you want to know how it is a FACT that Watson was not considered a top QB in the NFL draft?

Not one single team thought it important enough for them to move up into even the top 10 for him.

Want even more proof?

He wasn´t even the 2nd QB taken! THAT is not considered a top QB by GMs.