49ers just hired John Lynch as their GM

Luke

Liked Posts:
they screwed up last year on Wentz, thinking they wont reach for a Q at 1 this year

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:

not a red flag at all, lol

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The problem here is Lynch is probably smart enough to not fuck up and pass on Garrett if the Browns pass on him.

Lynch actually is a really smart dude.

Mitchapalooza

Schefter said they're gonna give Shanahan a 6 year deal too lololol.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lynch was considered because of Kyle Shanahan. Niners want the GM and coach to be in lockstep and Shanahan is going to be Head Coach. So Lynch called Shanahan and lobbied for the GM job. He apparently impressed Shanahan and that is why the Niners became interested.

So the reality is this is Kyle Shanahan's show. Lynch got a 6 year deal because that is what they plan to offer Shanahan.

laputan

Liked Posts:
Excerpt from Ryan Pace's "Rules for becoming a young NFL GM" ebook.

Step 1: Look the part. This is the most important attribute when becoming a GM.

Step 2: Talk the part. You sound like a GM, you ARE a GM. To this day, I still catch myself saying "dude" and "um" a lot, so this is a lifelong process. There is always room for improvement.

Step 3: Have a gimmick. I wow'ed them with my Ironman history, you could be an announcer or something.

Step 4: Once you get the job, surround yourself with people smarter than you. You will automatically be given credit for their successes. I didn't figure this out until after my first draft. But look at me now, I drafted Jordan Howard!

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The last announcer to be hired as a GM? Matt Millen lolololol.

Millen and Lynch, both great players, then Fox Sports color announcers, both with no FO experience. So SF now drafts WR with their next 4 first round picks in 5 years? That would be great.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Chris Ballard got the Colts job.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
lol don't jump the gun who the fuck here knows how well or bad he will be at the job. hes a football guy cant say he doesn't know what it takes to be a pro football player and with a solid scouting team behind him he could be successful

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Chris Ballard got the Colts job.

They need offensive line Bears didn't have much OL draft success with Ballard here, should be interesting if the next coming of GM Christ will be any good.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I could only find one example of a broadcaster becoming a successful GM.

Jonathan Coachman
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Coachman

On June 18, 2007, Coachman was officially named Interim General Manager of Raw by the McMahon Family following the kayfabe death of Vince McMahon in a limo explosion.

But who knows.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Millen and Lynch, both great players, then Fox Sports color announcers, both with no FO experience. So SF now drafts WR with their next 4 first round picks in 5 years? That would be great.

In all fairness, one of those four was Megatron, and another, Roy Williams, was traded for a number one pick. It's not like the Bears track record is any better.

AussieBear

in all fairness... at least lynch knows what a sb champion locker room looks like..

gots sum brains too...

im sure he also told shazam.. let me build the defense and ill give you the offense... win win.. how it works out.. idk

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
lol don't jump the gun who the fuck here knows how well or bad he will be at the job. hes a football guy cant say he doesn't know what it takes to be a pro football player and with a solid scouting team behind him he could be successful

The dude graduated from Stanford. He isn't an idiot. Still a perculiar hire though.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
49ers just hired John Lynch as their GM

un f-ing - belieable

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What a strange hire and 6 years, just wow. I think the only thing missing to make a shit coup is a Cutler.