53- Gervon Dexter

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Dexter definitely needs technique work, but by all accounts, he has the physical and athletic traits you can work with. I think it was pretty evident that going into this off-season the Bears intended to improve their offensive and defensive lines and to add a cornerback opposite of Johnson. I don't know if the Bears took the best player available when they picked or if they picked the best player available at a position of need. I'm not sure if it was Cunningham or Poles who said that it sorta works out in their grading scale. I do know that their grading system includes player evaluation, but also includes positional value. So maybe on their boards they were the BPA
Well when you reach a little on need and development I’m 100% on board with a follow up pick at same position who is more plug and go day 1.

Pickens and Jones give Dexter the time and rotational assistance he needs to ensure best chance at reaching full potential.

I really didn’t have an issue with this draft until the 4th round because there were day 2 talents still around and we kept our horse blinders on and stuck to the day 3 pre-draft plan.

Johnson might have been had later but we will never know because we didn’t do the right thing and select Dawan Jones.

The Galloping Ghost

Liked Posts:
Well when you reach a little on need and development I’m 100% on board with a follow up pick at same position who is more plug and go day 1.

Pickens and Jones give Dexter the time and rotational assistance he needs to ensure best chance at reaching full potential.

I really didn’t have an issue with this draft until the 4th round because there were day 2 talents still around and we kept our horse blinders on and stuck to the day 3 pre-draft plan.

Johnson might have been had later but we will never know because we didn’t do the right thing and select Dawan Jones.

Leaving aside the fact that Dawan Jones is a mediocre prospect, why would you want to draft a RT when you drafted one in the 1st? Are you really that upset they didn't draft a potential back-up RT? Don't sleep on Roschon, by the way. He's going to surprise a lot of you.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
His 10 yard split was slightly below average, but I could care less whether he is a "two stepper or strider." Reaction time is one of the most trainable traits, he may never be elite, but with his physical gifts and size all he needs in that category is average. I think he will be a plus starter long term.

I dont disagree.

S2 measures cognitive reaction time, not visual. Dexter could train for get off literally in his living room. with a ball and his baby momma

It does both. Part of the test for example measures perception speed and tracking capacity. So translating that to a DL, it can measure how fast a DL would recognize the movement of ball and hence how fast they can react to it.

It was clearly a rhetorical question. Thanks for the nonsense response though!

Not really clear at all but thanks for asking.

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I think the Bears got caught trusting the analytics a bit too much. Typically 4-5 Edge rushers are taken in the 1st round and 5-7 are taken in the 2nd. This year 8 went in the first round and 11 went off the board in the 2nd before the Bears were on the clock.
So were they trusting analytics too much, or did they decide that the 20th best defensive end was not their best value at their pick?

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:

That backup OT was our biggest need?

And one who lasted until the 4th in a thin OT draft?

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So were they trusting analytics too much, or did they decide that the 20th best defensive end was not their best value at their pick?

Probably Both.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That backup OT was our biggest need?

And one who lasted until the 4th in a thin OT draft?

Dawan Jones is going to be a left tackle when Justin Fields wins the superbowl for Cleveland.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is it so crazy to think Dawan Jones is a left tackle?

He played across from the first tackle taken and had the longest reach in the draft.

PJJ was a more polished and ready player entrusted to that position on his teamm. Dawan Jones is the guy you will notice and make a pro-bowl first.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When Dexter turns to be the great draft pick that Poles was looking for, I hope this thread gets dug up and all of the bad takes about how slow he is on the snap, etc.
will it be ok to dig it back up if he ends up being a bust?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
But again you were using 10 yard split to explain his slow get off. Get off is timimg and explosion, ie vert and broad jump are much better metrics for judging that potential, not how fast a guy gets 10 yards down field. There is no start gun to the 40, it's start at the players time of choice, so it has zero bearing on how fast a guy reacts to the snap of the football and explodes into an OL. He has all the physical attributes needed, his reaction to the snap is what needs worked on.
10 yard split doesn't mean much in terms of get off. Clock starts when they move, not the player reacting to anything. We're also talking about one or two steps to engage or split a gap, not 10 yards. Nothing measured at the combine will tell us that. We'll see what he has in the preseason as it's impossible to know from what he was asked to do in college. He's not projected as the primary 3-tech anyway so if he simply has a normal good get off and bend, he'll be fine. At his dimensions (long torso and short arms) bending will be very important and if he can, he's better suited to this D than what he did in college.

Last edited:

TFDM40

Liked Posts:
People projecting as if Dexter will be playing with his Florida load and within the Florida scheme.
Silly.
He has perhaps the widest gap between his Florida play and the scheme that awaits enabling his full potential performance as envisioned by Poles.
That's why he was drafted .

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
People projecting as if Dexter will be playing with his Florida load and within the Florida scheme.
Silly.
He has perhaps the widest gap between his Florida play and the scheme that awaits enabling his full potential performance as envisioned by Poles.
Who dis?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Silly.
fantastic first post after waiting 3 years for this moment! not even sarcasm.

The Galloping Ghost

Liked Posts:
Is it so crazy to think Dawan Jones is a left tackle?

He played across from the first tackle taken and had the longest reach in the draft.

PJJ was a more polished and ready player entrusted to that position on his teamm. Dawan Jones is the guy you will notice and make a pro-bowl first.

He has lots of issues he would need to overcome to start at Right Tackle let alone Left. He is top heavy, he has bad feet and no range. He really struggles to redirect. I saw college defenders gain leverage and knock him down numerous times. There are also questions about his ability to maintain his playing weight. He's going to be a great run blocker but he has a looooong way to go as a pass blocker in the NFL. His upside is probably a bigger Orlando Brown Jr.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He has lots of issues he would need to overcome to start at Right Tackle let alone Left. He is top heavy, he has bad feet and no range. He really struggles to redirect. I saw college defenders gain leverage and knock him down numerous times. There are also questions about his ability to maintain his playing weight. He's going to be a great run blocker but he has a looooong way to go as a pass blocker in the NFL. His upside is probably a bigger Orlando Brown Jr.

Is that not a hellavu upside?

My thing is imagining what Fields would do with the routes pass rushers try to take around this guy.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Dexter definitely needs technique work, but by all accounts, he has the physical and athletic traits you can work with. I think it was pretty evident that going into this off-season the Bears intended to improve their offensive and defensive lines and to add a cornerback opposite of Johnson. I don't know if the Bears took the best player available when they picked or if they picked the best player available at a position of need. I'm not sure if it was Cunningham or Poles who said that it sorta works out in their grading scale. I do know that their grading system includes player evaluation, but also includes positional value. So maybe on their boards they were the BPA
Their roster is not good enough to pick bpa overall. It was definitely by need.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
They mentioned that part of being slow is probably scheme but regardless of scheme impact he still has issues himself as there are shotgun plays where he isn't out of his stance until after the qb has the ball and everyone is moving. No scheme is asking him to move that slowly, but that also seems easily correctable, especially for interior DL. I'm pretty confident in them being able to fix that and think if that's fixed he can be pretty disruptive along the interior early on.

You should look it up and watch it. They addressed that. Said that even for the scheme he was slow off the ball and it may have just been a bad habit developed as a result of the scheme and coaches let him get too lazy there.

Fact is it's hard to know if he can be quick off the ball on a consistent basis cause it's not on tape, but obviously the bears have some hope or reason to believe he can be a lot better at it. If so then they basically got Jalen Carter without the red flags in the latter half of the 2nd round. That's the hope anyway. ?

Dexter admitted he was slow off the ball at times and that he has yo get better at it. He said part of that was scheme not all of it. Both things can be true.

I see that now he's saying it both ways, not anyone's fault. Smoke and mirrors.. gervon didnt play slow in '21.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Silly.
s9x0wfyopzwdko1fr8vjgxg&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif
Post more.. @TFDM40

fantastic first post after waiting 3 years for this moment! not even sarcasm.
Amazing. Waited 3 years before he spoke a word. I was almost convinced myself that I had the fucking wrong player or some shit.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
will it be ok to dig it back up if he ends up being a bust?
Not really a prediction. Just answering all of the naysayers who have already written the guy off based on how slow he is off the snap.

Will you also dig it up if he is actually quick off the snap or do you agree with them?

BornAnAngryBearsFan

TF you lookin' at?!?!
Liked Posts:
Not sure if this vid has been posted before, but here's some good breakdowns of Dexter's play vs the SEC. Dude is extremely stout, versus the pass or run, and is almost impossible to move from the point. Keeps his Mike/Will CLEAN!