53- Gervon Dexter

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
That’s some good research mad max.

Dexter was a work horse and Carter still took plays off with half the load.

I never said Dexter was a bad pick, only a project that needs some technique work to better use his length. Like with Johnson I am unsure as well it was necessary to reach for the player with premium talents on the board.
I think Dexter definitely needs technique work, but by all accounts, he has the physical and athletic traits you can work with. I think it was pretty evident that going into this off-season the Bears intended to improve their offensive and defensive lines and to add a cornerback opposite of Johnson. I don't know if the Bears took the best player available when they picked or if they picked the best player available at a position of need. I'm not sure if it was Cunningham or Poles who said that it sorta works out in their grading scale. I do know that their grading system includes player evaluation, but also includes positional value. So maybe on their boards they were the BPA

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
His 10 yard split was top ten for DT , he was 3rd in vert and 6th in broad jump which is more indicative of burst and at his size is pretty amazing. Getting off at the snap of the ball is all mental processing, if you are asked to first read the play and then react you are much more likely to be slow to start than if you are looking to just tear ass to the QB at the snap.
Also, an observation at yesterdays rookie camp was he was quick off the ball early and slowed later, so the excessive reps at UF and his need for better conditioning likely played a huge role, and we know the Bears are going to be big on being in top condition.

Only 15 DTs 10 yard splits were recorded. 1.81 is not particularly good.

I have no doubt he can improve with better conditioning and emphasis but the criticism is fair until he consistently proves otherwise.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Traits are nice, But performance on the football field is far more important. Haven't we learned this time after time?

Maybe Dexter will improve as a pass rusher, but let's see it before we believe it.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
He is going to get absolutely annhilated off the ball in the NFL. If he looked slow off the ball in college he's going to look glacial in the pros.

We'll see, I'm not hopeful. The pick certainly feels like a reaction to passing on Jalen Carter. Teams blow second round picks all the time and its not franchise killing, but its hard to really like this one.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
He is going to get absolutely annhilated off the ball in the NFL. If he looked slow off the ball in college he's going to look glacial in the pros.

We'll see, I'm not hopeful. The pick certainly feels like a reaction to passing on Jalen Carter. Teams blow second round picks all the time and its not franchise killing, but its hard to really like this one.
I actually think he's going to be good. Pickens was the pick I wasn't a big fan of

maxhatter

Liked Posts:

I have a hard time believing you would like anything that the Bears do

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:

I have no doubt he can improve with better conditioning and emphasis but the criticism is fair until he consistently proves otherwise.
Poles is on record (or maybe it’s Eberflus) for putting more stock in broad jump and vert

napo55

Liked Posts:
Poles is on record (or maybe it’s Eberflus) for putting more stock in broad jump and vert
Poles/Eberflus should put more emphasis on performance on the football field--- and less on performance by guys in shorts with no opponents blocking them.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Yes which is why I said I am sure he can fix it but again Dexter dmitted that he has to work on his get off and it was not just the scheme. The traits are there though.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Yes which is why I said I am sure he can fix it but again Dexter dmitted that he has to work on his get off and it was not just the scheme. The traits are there though.
Idk if he can or will fix his get off. The 40 yard dash is irrelevant is all I’m saying, at least according to poles/flus.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Idk if he can or will fix his get off. The 40 yard dash is irrelevant is all I’m saying, at least according to poles/flus.

I referenced his 10 yard split not his 40 but yes the vert and Broad jump are considered more relevant.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

But again you were using 10 yard split to explain his slow get off. Get off is timimg and explosion, ie vert and broad jump are much better metrics for judging that potential, not how fast a guy gets 10 yards down field. There is no start gun to the 40, it's start at the players time of choice, so it has zero bearing on how fast a guy reacts to the snap of the football and explodes into an OL. He has all the physical attributes needed, his reaction to the snap is what needs worked on.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
But again you were using 10 yard split to explain his slow get off. Get off is timimg and explosion, ie vert and broad jump are much better metrics for judging that potential, not how fast a guy gets 10 yards down field. There is no start gun to the 40, it's start at the players time of choice, so it has zero bearing on how fast a guy reacts to the snap of the football and explodes into an OL. He has all the physical attributes needed, his reaction to the snap is what needs worked on.
Is there a start gun to the vert and the broad jump?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Vert and Broad jump dont have a start gun either.

"A 10-yard split measures the short-area burst of an NFL prospect and allows scouts to determine if the prospect is a two-stepper (a player who can get up to full speed in two steps) or a strider (a player who needs to hit full stride to reach his top speed). Since football players as a whole are consistently forced to explode in and out of their breaks throughout the game, short-area explosion is a pivotal reflection of a player’s overall "football speed."

"The 10-yard split is a vital time gauge for every position in the NFL, but it’s arguably more important for edge pass rushers than other positions."

It also measures short area burst but I agree vert and broad are more indicative. I mentioned the 10 yard split because it was an outlier. Those tests measure explosion but you can be explosive and still get off the ball late. There really isnt a test that measures reaction time unless you consider the s2 cognition test.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Is there a start gun to the vert and the broad jump?

Even if there was, the test isnt measuring your reaction time as it doesnt tell you how fast you reacted to the gun. Saying you have a 40 inch vert tells us nothing about whether you reacted to a gun within 1 millisecond or 2. It measures your explosion from a standstill.

I think s2 measures reaction time hence why it is important for QBs from a read and react perspetive.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Vert and Broad jump dont have a start gun either.

"A 10-yard split measures the short-area burst of an NFL prospect and allows scouts to determine if the prospect is a two-stepper (a player who can get up to full speed in two steps) or a strider (a player who needs to hit full stride to reach his top speed). Since football players as a whole are consistently forced to explode in and out of their breaks throughout the game, short-area explosion is a pivotal reflection of a player’s overall "football speed."

"The 10-yard split is a vital time gauge for every position in the NFL, but it’s arguably more important for edge pass rushers than other positions."

It also measures short area burst but I agree vert and broad are more indicative. I mentioned the 10 yard split because it was an outlier. Those tests measure explosion but you can be explosive and still get off the ball late. There really isnt a test that measures reaction time unless you consider the s2 cognition test.
His 10 yard split was slightly below average, but I could care less whether he is a "two stepper or strider." Reaction time is one of the most trainable traits, he may never be elite, but with his physical gifts and size all he needs in that category is average. I think he will be a plus starter long term.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Even if there was, the test isnt measuring your reaction time as it doesnt tell you how fast you reacted to the gun. Saying you have a 40 inch vert tells us nothing about whether you reacted to a gun within 1 millisecond or 2. It measures your explosion from a standstill.

I think s2 measures reaction time hence why it is important for QBs from a read and react perspetive.
S2 measures cognitive reaction time, not visual. Dexter could train for get off literally in his living room. with a ball and his baby momma

The Galloping Ghost

Liked Posts:
His 10 yard split was slightly below average, but I could care less whether he is a "two stepper or strider." Reaction time is one of the most trainable traits, he may never be elite, but with his physical gifts and size all he needs in that category is average. I think he will be a plus starter long term.

This. You can improve reaction time. He has traits that are not teachable. I love him as a 1-tech in this defense.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:

It was clearly a rhetorical question. Thanks for the nonsense response though!