53- Gervon Dexter

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't get why the pundits are choosing to criticize this pick. I don't see why Dexter is being shat on for lack of production. Yet, Jalen Carter supposedly dominated everyone with 3 total sacks. Sure Dexter may have not go to the QB, but he had 50+ tackles the last 2 seasons. That's plenty of production for a defense that couldn't stop the run. Plus, he is young, is 6'6 and has a great frame to work with. The upside is all there and at worst we have a good read and react run stopper.

This isn't that hard. Pundits rank players and where they expect them to go. If they go higher than there expectations then they will call that player a reach. What would be the point of creating rankings and expectations of where people are drafted if they then simply said well the team had a different grade on the player so that is why they got drafted higher. Well duh!

In short, it really isn't that serious. Until these guys play all any individual pundit has to go on is there own opinion of a player and this is all for entertainment.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
This isn't that hard. Pundits rank players and where they expect them to go. If they go higher than there expectations then they will call that player a reach. What would be the point of creating rankings and expectations of where people are drafted if they then simply said well the team had a different grade on the player so that is why they got drafted higher. Well duh!

In short, it really isn't that serious. Until these guys play all any individual pundit has to go on is there own opinion of a player and this is all for entertainment.
This is in line with my Coach of The Year theory.

The same pundits who make predictions, vote for the award, and give it to the coach of the team they were most wrong about before the season.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:

There is a difference in criticizing the player and criticizing the value. For example, some may be critical of the Detroit Lions drafting Jamyr Gibbs at #12 because they could have drafted him later for better value. But no one is really critical of Jamyr Gibbs the prospect and his ability to play in the NFL.

On the other hand, I've heard multiple pundits criicize Dexter's production and burst off the snap. Yet, I don't know many college defensive tackles who have back to back 50+ tackles in a season. And from what I remember hearing, he was sliding up draft boards to the mid to late 2nd round. So he was right in line with where he was projected to get drafted.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
He has tremendous upside and still learning the game. Certainly some risk there but with the amount of picks we had you can take an extra risk or two you usually wouldn't.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Is not the player the Bears wanted. They tried to trade up to avoid this situation but were left with him after not being able to move up.
They were trying to move up for a DE from what I read. Not DT

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This has kind of been debunked over the years as we've seen some real dunces run NFL teams. Remember Phil Emery?
So you're saying a dunce can get an NFL job, but you cannot? I'm sure those jobs pay very well with very large sums of clout. Why don't you go apply?

joec231

Liked Posts:
I like the young man, he just needs a lot of coaching and time to practice those techniques in games.

Good pick for a tanking team, rather than an edge who can help this year.

Pickens seems more ready now so he didn't leave a hole if Dexter takes time.

I don't think I love the corner value where we got him and I wanted to move Gordon inside but we drafted a future starting nickel. Ok not great.

Texas had one of the heaviest fronts in college football. They leaned heavily on defenses and led with Bijan.

So we drafted a bully back in the 4th round without standout physical traits at the next level. I don't think his college attitude translates to the bears where he will get blowed up in backfield per usual.

The 5th round corner is being called a steal but I promise he is a penalty machine. He doesn't control his edge and takes too many cheap shots and talks above his game. Like Dexter I won't write him off and his draft position is not as egregious as the 4th round mistake of moving behind and staying behind the high value players that lasted to mid 4th.

IMO, this draft will be viewed as a mixed bag, as Wright/Pickens/Sewell should at least bring solid contributions right away.

I'm worried only about Wrights knees, which are wobbly and uncoordinated. He isn't a natural runner like Dawan Jones. He's a bit goofy but full of raw power. Can't miss unless he ends up hyperextending his knees because he locks them when he walks. He's fine when bending and engaging, but chewing gum and walking looks challenging for him.
I'm genuinely curious; how many Florida, Tennessee, Texas, and Oregon games have you sat down and watched, and of those games, how many did you specifically focus your attention on Dexter, Wright, Johnson, and Sewell? You mention the Roschon Johnson pick and claim he doesn't have "physical traits at the next level", what makes you believe that? Have you created a database like RAS (which has him rated as an 8.67, highest of the Bears RB room btw) that compiles data straight from the combine, which is designed to specifically measures players' physical traits?

You've mentioned Adebawore a few times(albeit not in this particular post), what about him stands out? If he's the guy the Bears should've picked, why did he not get drafted until pick 110?

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm genuinely curious; how many Florida, Tennessee, Texas, and Oregon games have you sat down and watched, and of those games, how many did you specifically focus your attention on Dexter, Wright, Johnson, and Sewell? You mention the Roschon Johnson pick and claim he doesn't have "physical traits at the next level", what makes you believe that? Have you created a database like RAS (which has him rated as an 8.67, highest of the Bears RB room btw) that compiles data straight from the combine, which is designed to specifically measures players' physical traits?

You've mentioned Adebawore a few times(albeit not in this particular post), what about him stands out? If he's the guy the Bears should've picked, why did he not get drafted until pick 110?
He won't answer.

Its simply because he likes those guys so somehow he thinks they're the correct picks

TL1961

Liked Posts:
CCS will make a lot of jokes about who will be training camp hero, but some here do the same with the combine.

Adebawore showed little in the Big Ten but suddenly was a guy the Bears not only had to have, but two rounds before any NFL GM was willing to pick him. Based on nothing but a glance in Indy. (Granted, those GMs are not more skilled at evaluating players than @Noonthirtyjoe , but....)

Yet the guys the team did draft will be criticized for lack of production.

Puzzling.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There is a difference in criticizing the player and criticizing the value. For example, some may be critical of the Detroit Lions drafting Jamyr Gibbs at #12 because they could have drafted him later for better value. But no one is really critical of Jamyr Gibbs the prospect and his ability to play in the NFL.

On the other hand, I've heard multiple pundits criicize Dexter's production and burst off the snap. Yet, I don't know many college defensive tackles who have back to back 50+ tackles in a season. And from what I remember hearing, he was sliding up draft boards to the mid to late 2nd round. So he was right in line with where he was projected to get drafted.

The production they are referring to is pressure production and he himself acknowledges he is slow off the ball in part from playing in a read and react D rather than one that allowed him to get up the field immediately. So they are criticizing him for things that appear to be true. Carter had 19 pressures in 182 pass rush snaps ie 10.4% pressure rate. Dexter had 24 pressures in 326 pass rush snaps ie 7.4% pressure rate.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
A couple quick thoughts: I remember back in 2014 when Aaron Donald was in the draft. There were tons of questions about his size and his ability to play the run. I watched a couple of his Pitt games, and I was sold. I did not think he would end up being an MVP caliber pro, but I thought he would be a solid player. I was pounding my desk hoping the Bears would move up and get him, of course they drafted Kyle Fuller with the next pick. My greater point is, the Bears know exactly what they are looking for at each position, I don't. So, it is hard to judge any pick. The Bears passed on a top flight player in Donald to get a so so pro, but maybe they wanted a cornerback far more than a tackle, I don't know. I am skeptical of this draft, but I am looking forward to seeing the recruits show their stuff. Just remember, what we hear and see at training camp and in the pre-season means nothing. We will all have to wait and watch the real games...

TL1961

Liked Posts:
A couple quick thoughts: I remember back in 2014 when Aaron Donald was in the draft. There were tons of questions about his size and his ability to play the run. I watched a couple of his Pitt games, and I was sold. I did not think he would end up being an MVP caliber pro, but I thought he would be a solid player. I was pounding my desk hoping the Bears would move up and get him, of course they drafted Kyle Fuller with the next pick. My greater point is, the Bears know exactly what they are looking for at each position, I don't. So, it is hard to judge any pick. The Bears passed on a top flight player in Donald to get a so so pro, but maybe they wanted a cornerback far more than a tackle, I don't know. I am skeptical of this draft, but I am looking forward to seeing the recruits show their stuff. Just remember, what we hear and see at training camp and in the pre-season means nothing. We will all have to wait and watch the real games...
The Bears didn't pass on Donald.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I didn't read this whole thread but I see many here criticizing Dexter for his burst off of the snap.
The problem with this critique is that Florida told their dline to play read and react, otherwise called "mirroring". So they were told not to burst through the line, and instead wait to see the play develop and then burst. So he was coached out of his burst, which is not that hard to bring back in the Bears scheme.

I think this pick is going to be one of the steals of the drafts and is excellent scouting by the Bears to realize that his major critique by analysts isn't really viable.

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
They were trying to move up for a DE from what I read. Not DT
The depth in this draft was at edge rusher and somehow the Bears failed to draft one.

32 sure looms large right now especially since the DT they did draft has a massive flaw that they're already making excuses for.

I don't understand how they draft a guy and then the first thing you have to say in the media is yeah he was slow getting off the ball but that's because he was tired all the time.

A second round pick with a major caveat that doesn't make me confident in the least.

The offensive tackle Wright is by all accounts a pretty good pick. The Bears however needed more than just one guy that looks like a sure thing.