53- Gervon Dexter

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I didn't read this whole thread but I see many here criticizing Dexter for his burst off of the snap.
The problem with this critique is that Florida told their dline to play read and react, otherwise called "mirroring". So they were told not to burst through the line, and instead wait to see the play develop and then burst. So he was coached out of his burst, which is not that hard to bring back in the Bears scheme.

I think this pick is going to be one of the steals of the drafts and is excellent scouting by the Bears to realize that his major critique by analysts isn't really viable.
That's the excuse they're using. It doesn't matter if you're read and react or a two gap player you still have to get off the ball. When the rest of your teammates are getting off the ball in the same scheme and he's not that's a problem.

Call it out for what it is.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The depth in this draft was at edge rusher and somehow the Bears failed to draft one.

32 sure looms large right now especially since the DT they did draft has a massive flaw that they're already making excuses for.

I don't understand how they draft a guy and then the first thing you have to say in the media is yeah he was slow getting off the ball but that's because he was tired all the time.

A second round pick with a major caveat that doesn't make me confident in the least.

The offensive tackle Wright is by all accounts a pretty good pick. The Bears however needed more than just one guy that looks like a sure thing.
Bro you eat papa John's you don't get to be so picky

The Galloping Ghost

Liked Posts:
That's the excuse they're using. It doesn't matter if you're read and react or a two gap player you still have to get off the ball. When the rest of your teammates are getting off the ball in the same scheme and he's not that's a problem.

Except his job isn't to get up field. His job is to clog the line of scrimmage, take on blockers and control his gaps. If you watch the tape you see plays where he is firing off the ball and plays where he's just holding his gaps at the LOS. You don't need to fire off the snap if your job is to take on blockers

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Except his job isn't to get up field. His job is to clog the line of scrimmage, take on blockers and control his gaps. If you watch the tape you see plays where he is firing off the ball and plays where he's just holding his gaps at the LOS. You don't need to fire off the snap if your job is to take on blockers
Everyone but Bears fans are saying the same thing. Even the Bears brass addressed it and said it happened because he was tired.

You're so anxious to put me down that you don't listen to what THEY said about the player.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
The depth in this draft was at edge rusher and somehow the Bears failed to draft one.

32 sure looms large right now especially since the DT they did draft has a massive flaw that they're already making excuses for.

I don't understand how they draft a guy and then the first thing you have to say in the media is yeah he was slow getting off the ball but that's because he was tired all the time.

A second round pick with a major caveat that doesn't make me confident in the least.

The offensive tackle Wright is by all accounts a pretty good pick. The Bears however needed more than just one guy that looks like a sure thing.
Bears draft grade- F

Analysis: They didn’t make @DanielCCSBears feel confident.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
CHGO on YouTube (Hoge and Wooton) did a breakdown on Dexter. They basically said that he's a beast, shows a lot of ability but was indeed really slow off the ball. If the Bears coaches can fix that then maybe we got a steal. Hope so anyway!

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I think the Bears got caught trusting the analytics a bit too much. Typically 4-5 Edge rushers are taken in the 1st round and 5-7 are taken in the 2nd. This year 8 went in the first round and 11 went off the board in the 2nd before the Bears were on the clock.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:

That isn't an excuse, it is a reason. Knowing the difference is key to the context here. He had the burst on his high school tape and he didn't in college. The difference being scheme.
And yes, if others on the line were bursting through that is because that was their role.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I didn't read this whole thread but I see many here criticizing Dexter for his burst off of the snap.
The problem with this critique is that Florida told their dline to play read and react, otherwise called "mirroring". So they were told not to burst through the line, and instead wait to see the play develop and then burst. So he was coached out of his burst, which is not that hard to bring back in the Bears scheme.

I think this pick is going to be one of the steals of the drafts and is excellent scouting by the Bears to realize that his major critique by analysts isn't really viable.

That is only part of the equation. His 10 yard split was not that impressive so it does seem in addition to scheme he has to get better at his get off.

The Galloping Ghost

Liked Posts:
Everyone but Bears fans are saying the same thing. Even the Bears brass addressed it and said it happened because he was tired.

You're so anxious to put me down that you don't listen to what THEY said about the player.

I'm not putting you down, I'm putting your opinions down.

“YOU’RE KIND OF PIECING IT TOGETHER. FOOT SPEED. THE ABILITY TO GET SKINNY. THE ACCELERATION OF BURST TO FINISH. THE TOOLBOX IN YOUR PASS-RUSH SKILLS. THOSE GO INTO IT. AND THEN WHAT IS HE ASKED TO DO AT HIS SCHOOL? SO FOR DEXTER, LITTLE BIT MORE OF A SQUARE STANCE, READ AND MIRROR, WHEN THAT’S THE CASE, YOU’RE NOT REALLY ON YOUR TOES AND PENETRATING AND GETTING UP THE FIELD, SO YOU GOT TO PIECE THOSE THINGS TOGETHER AND THAT CAN HELP YOU SHOW WHERE THE UPSIDE IS AND HOW IN OUR SYSTEM IT CAN BE EVEN BETTER IN TERMS OF HOW THEY AFFECT THE QUARTERBACK.”

As far as the tired comment, he was speaking generally about DTs, Dexter was on the field a lot and constantly taking on double teams. He said they want a rotation at DT to keep the big guys fresh.

Dexter profiles as a nose tackle in this defense where he can use his natural.power and athleticism. Yeah, there are times he is slow off the snap but so was Chris Jones when he came out. It's not an unfixable problem and jumping the snap simply isn't important when your job is to react to the o-line.

Pickens has the skill set to be a disruptive 3 technique. The two of them have a chance to be very good in the middle of the defense.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
CHGO on YouTube (Hoge and Wooton) did a breakdown on Dexter. They basically said that he's a beast, shows a lot of ability but was indeed really slow off the ball. If the Bears coaches can fix that then maybe we got a steal. Hope so anyway!
They basically said that he's a beast, shows a lot of ability but was indeed really slow off the ball.

I didn't hear this interview but you OR they had got them words wrong.

Gervon's slow get off is SCHEME RELATED. Most people that been watching ball should know this shit. Unfortunately, Gators fans are still fucking stupid too, they're unless to the entire football fan base.

Plus I posted a clip of him where he obliterates on the snap earlier in this thread.

JFC @DanielCCSBears .. whereTF do you get your misinformation from???

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Georgia OL/Offense vs Florida Defense (2022)

Gervon Dexter SR. (DT Florida) vs Kentucky 2022

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
They basically said that he's a beast, shows a lot of ability but was indeed really slow off the ball.

Gervon's slow get off is SCHEME RELATED. Most people that been watching ball should know this shit. Unfortunately, Gators fans are still fucking stupid too, they're unless to the entire football fan base.

Plus I posted a clip of him where he obliterates on the snap earlier in this thread.

JFC @DanielCCSBears .. whereTF do you get your misinformation from???
They mentioned that part of being slow is probably scheme but regardless of scheme impact he still has issues himself as there are shotgun plays where he isn't out of his stance until after the qb has the ball and everyone is moving. No scheme is asking him to move that slowly, but that also seems easily correctable, especially for interior DL. I'm pretty confident in them being able to fix that and think if that's fixed he can be pretty disruptive along the interior early on.

Nelly

Liked Posts:

You should look it up and watch it. They addressed that. Said that even for the scheme he was slow off the ball and it may have just been a bad habit developed as a result of the scheme and coaches let him get too lazy there.

Fact is it's hard to know if he can be quick off the ball on a consistent basis cause it's not on tape, but obviously the bears have some hope or reason to believe he can be a lot better at it. If so then they basically got Jalen Carter without the red flags in the latter half of the 2nd round. That's the hope anyway. ?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Dexter admitted he was slow off the ball at times and that he has yo get better at it. He said part of that was scheme not all of it. Both things can be true.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:

Wow, a big defensive lineman getting tired? That shouldn't happen! Dexter played nearly 80% of the defensive snaps last year (690 in 12 games) by comparison, Jalen Carter played 392 in 15 games. Unlike Carter, Dexter had to stay on the field when he was gassed. The Bears plan to have him play in a rotation of Jones, Pickens, and Billings, with DeMarcus Walker also getting snaps inside. That's why Poles said that they spent a lot of time reviewing his best plays, they felt that it would give them the best evaluation of what he could be in this system as part of a wave of defensive talent.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I'm worried only about Wrights knees, which are wobbly and uncoordinated. He isn't a natural runner like Dawan Jones. He's a bit goofy but full of raw power. Can't miss unless he ends up hyperextending his knees because he locks them when he walks. He's fine when bending and engaging, but chewing gum and walking looks challenging for him.
He's made progress since childhood. I'm sure with your keen eye and advice about walking gait and some @run and shoot supplements he will be a 320 lb ballet dance in no time.
1683389153875.jpeg

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow, a big defensive lineman getting tired? That shouldn't happen! Dexter played nearly 80% of the defensive snaps last year (690 in 12 games) by comparison, Jalen Carter played 392 in 15 games. Unlike Carter, Dexter had to stay on the field when he was gassed. The Bears plan to have him play in a rotation of Jones, Pickens, and Billings, with DeMarcus Walker also getting snaps inside. That's why Poles said that they spent a lot of time reviewing his best plays, they felt that it would give them the best evaluation of what he could be in this system as part of a wave of defensive talent.
That’s some good research mad max.

Dexter was a work horse and Carter still took plays off with half the load.

I never said Dexter was a bad pick, only a project that needs some technique work to better use his length. Like with Johnson I am unsure as well it was necessary to reach for the player with premium talents on the board.

Last edited:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
That is only part of the equation. His 10 yard split was not that impressive so it does seem in addition to scheme he has to get better at his get off.
His 10 yard split was top ten for DT , he was 3rd in vert and 6th in broad jump which is more indicative of burst and at his size is pretty amazing. Getting off at the snap of the ball is all mental processing, if you are asked to first read the play and then react you are much more likely to be slow to start than if you are looking to just tear ass to the QB at the snap.
Also, an observation at yesterdays rookie camp was he was quick off the ball early and slowed later, so the excessive reps at UF and his need for better conditioning likely played a huge role, and we know the Bears are going to be big on being in top condition.