53- Gervon Dexter

Thedude

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didnt really follow Florida's defensive scheme, although I did go to one one of their games....anyway

A couple things....he was potentially being thought of as a top ten pick at the end of 2021. His performance was that good in 2021. He dropped off production last year, but played 50% more snaps..

Poles was referencing his play style.

Dexter was asked to play a read and mirror technique. I assume Florida was playing a 4-3 hybrid in which they asked Dexter to cover two gaps. That would mean he isn't instantly shooting a gap like a typical 1 gap 4-3 defense.

Poles said he'd be a 1 gap player here which means his job is to get up field immediately.

The whole knock on his quickness probably stems from what play style he was asked to do.
I have read that he was asked to play significant more snaps this year in multiple places and Poles even mentions it in his press conference when talking about him. For a dude his size that’s Hugh

I would like to hear the bears scout breakdown on him but don’t think the posted it.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When Dexter turns to be the great draft pick that Poles was looking for, I hope this thread gets dug up and all of the bad takes about how slow he is on the snap, etc.

Thedude

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When Dexter turns to be the great draft pick that Poles was looking for, I hope this thread gets dug up and all of the bad takes about how slow he is on the snap, etc.
His get off is way off, you could make yourself a sandwich. You would think that is something that can be corrected with coaching, so I am optimistic

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I like the young man, he just needs a lot of coaching and time to practice those techniques in games.

Good pick for a tanking team, rather than an edge who can help this year.

Pickens seems more ready now so he didn't leave a hole if Dexter takes time.

I don't think I love the corner value where we got him and I wanted to move Gordon inside but we drafted a future starting nickel. Ok not great.

Texas had one of the heaviest fronts in college football. They leaned heavily on defenses and led with Bijan.

So we drafted a bully back in the 4th round without standout physical traits at the next level. I don't think his college attitude translates to the bears where he will get blowed up in backfield per usual.

The 5th round corner is being called a steal but I promise he is a penalty machine. He doesn't control his edge and takes too many cheap shots and talks above his game. Like Dexter I won't write him off and his draft position is not as egregious as the 4th round mistake of moving behind and staying behind the high value players that lasted to mid 4th.

IMO, this draft will be viewed as a mixed bag, as Wright/Pickens/Sewell should at least bring solid contributions right away.

I'm worried only about Wrights knees, which are wobbly and uncoordinated. He isn't a natural runner like Dawan Jones. He's a bit goofy but full of raw power. Can't miss unless he ends up hyperextending his knees because he locks them when he walks. He's fine when bending and engaging, but chewing gum and walking looks challenging for him.

Lurk McGurk

Liked Posts:
One thing I do note about this pick is the bears brass were shitting bricks when they drafted him.

I would not be shocked if he was one of their best defensive lineman in the draft. Poles already confirmed he was BPA at 53
They drafted Dexter at 53, then traded up to 56 to grab Stevenson immediately afterwards. They traded back later in the draft to regain what they gave up to trade up for Stevenson. I take away a couple things from those facts:

A. They don't like trading away picks, but they valued Stevenson enough that they were willing to to trade up for him.
B. They drafted Dexter before trading up for Stevenson because they value him even more than Stevenson.

Hopefully they're right but it gives me the impression that they think they have something with him.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I don't get why the pundits are choosing to criticize this pick. I don't see why Dexter is being shat on for lack of production. Yet, Jalen Carter supposedly dominated everyone with 3 total sacks. Sure Dexter may have not go to the QB, but he had 50+ tackles the last 2 seasons. That's plenty of production for a defense that couldn't stop the run. Plus, he is young, is 6'6 and has a great frame to work with. The upside is all there and at worst we have a good read and react run stopper.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I like the young man, he just needs a lot of coaching and time to practice those techniques in games.

I don't think I love the corner value where we got him and I wanted to move Gordon inside but we drafted a future starting nickel. Ok not great.

Texas had one of the heaviest fronts in college football. They leaned heavily on defenses and led with Bijan.

So we drafted a bully back in the 4th round without standout physical traits at the next level. I don't think his college attitude translates to the bears where he will get blowed up in backfield per usual.

The 5th round corner is being called a steal but I promise he is a penalty machine. He doesn't control his edge and takes too many cheap shots and talks above his game. Like Dexter I won't write him off and his draft position is not as egregious as the 4th round mistake of moving behind and staying behind the high value players that lasted to mid 4th.

IMO, this draft will be viewed as a mixed bag, as Wright/Pickens/Sewell should at least bring solid contributions right away.

I'm worried only about Wrights knees, which are wobbly and uncoordinated. He isn't a natural runner like Dawan Jones. He's a bit goofy but full of raw power. Can't miss unless he ends up hyperextending his knees because he locks them when he walks. He's fine when bending and engaging, but chewing gum and walking looks challenging for him.

You're really sitting here comparing Dawand and Darnell when one is taken in the 4th round and the other was considered one of the 4 best tackles in the draft? Put the meth down

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're really sitting here comparing Dawand and Darnell when one is taken in the 4th round and the other was considered one of the 4 best tackles in the draft? Put the meth down

Im still unsure which I would rather have in three years.

Would have preferred the both option at the 4th round value on Jones, especially when you consider the size/strength flaws of our own Jones. Kick Borom inside where he belongs in this offense as depth.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:

There's almost nothing accurate in this post.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
His get off is way off, you could make yourself a sandwich. You would think that is something that can be corrected with coaching, so I am optimistic
I'd think it'd be as simple as having him watch the ball and go when you see it go. Especially easy for an interior guy.

Florida appeared to not give a shit about guys exploding off the line at the snap because you can see the other interior guys generally were late as well. Watching Dexter it looks like he watched the lineman in front of him or the backfield and moved when they did. Idk if that was what was taught since he was suppose to read and react? The coaching there appears to be pretty bad though. He seemed pretty dominant once engaging, so if the Bears staff can improve his snap recognition (simply ask him to go when the ball does) I think his play could be really good at the next level.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He's slow get off was by design which is good because it's not usually something you can easily correct. Guys like that never get off quickly but if you watch enough of Dexter, you'll see he can be quick off the snap when he wants to and was asked to react instead of attack.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
To be fair everyone was comparing Braxton jones to the first round tackles taken last year. With that said wright dominated the competition so I don’t see why anyone isn’t confident he will succeed here.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I don't get why the pundits are choosing to criticize this pick. I don't see why Dexter is being shat on for lack of production. Yet, Jalen Carter supposedly dominated everyone with 3 total sacks. Sure Dexter may have not go to the QB, but he had 50+ tackles the last 2 seasons. That's plenty of production for a defense that couldn't stop the run. Plus, he is young, is 6'6 and has a great frame to work with. The upside is all there and at worst we have a good read and react run stopper.
Was dexter having an asthma attack every other down on the sideline like Carter was?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I'd think it'd be as simple as having him watch the ball and go when you see it go. Especially easy for an interior guy.

Florida appeared to not give a shit about guys exploding off the line at the snap because you can see the other interior guys generally were late as well. Watching Dexter it looks like he watched the lineman in front of him or the backfield and moved when they did. Idk if that was what was taught since he was suppose to read and react? The coaching there appears to be pretty bad though. He seemed pretty dominant once engaging, so if the Bears staff can improve his snap recognition (simply ask him to go when the ball does) I think his play could be really good at the next level.
I think the starting point for Dexter is simply getting him to press the gap and disrupt. Don't think, there is nothing to react to. Just try to beat the guard into the backfield.

This of course isn't analogous but I played in 5T in a two gap system in high school and 3T in a one gap system in college. It was tough to adjust because it's a totally different mindset. In one you're waiting on the OL. In the other you are just exploding into the backfield. Can't ask him to think too much or to worry to much about rush plan. Just get used to getting off the ball in a different way. If he can just beat the G, he will be impactful even if he doesn't actually make plays at the outset.