53- Gervon Dexter

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Poles was just asked about Dexter's production and his explanation of the system he was in at Florida played a big role in it. Square in his stance and asked to read and mirror instead of on his toes and penetrating a gap.

You see this alot in the sec, these big athletic kids are almost done a disservice by being asked to play the zero or the shade and read instead of getting up the field. It's a big reason you see these reports of player x is slow out of his stance even though they have tons of athletic ability. Two gapping is so popular in college because the hashes are wider.

Last edited:

Bears27

Liked Posts:
Kinda head scratching, especially waiting for them to trade up and snag Keanu Benton or Keion White – who I thought were better picks. But the more I think about it and along with the Pickens selection, the Bears have a pair of nasty big SOBs that'll swallow up the interior. Excited to see how Tremaine Edmunds & TJ Edwards play off these boys.

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Dexter is a basketball player who quit basketball because he kept fouling out. Are we sure he loves football? Or does he quit on plays because he’s slowly getting lazier than the bball days?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Poles was just asked about Dexter's production and his explanation of the system he was in at Florida played a big role in it. Square in his stance and asked to read and mirror instead of on his toes and penetrating a gap.

You see this alot in the sec, these big athletic kids are almost done a disservice by being asked to play the zero or the shade and read instead of getting up the field. It's a big reason you see these reports of player x is slow out of his stance even though they have tons of athletic ability. Two gapping is so popular in college because the hashes are wider.
Nuance, detail, and context are pretty difficult concepts for some of the “immediate reach” crowd, but it’s nice to see you’re trying.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
From the article you posted:

“The feedback for Dexter, who told media in early December that he’d received a second-round projection from the NFL, was mostly positive. The areas in need of correction were relatively minor, and aspects of his game he’s confident will soon be corrected, long before he steps foot onto the field as a rookie for one of 32 NFL teams.

“Just clean up small technique things, like, one of the things was sometimes my get-off on film was a bit late,” he said. “So, just a small technique things that's not huge, not impossible to fix quickly. That’s really it.”

Outside of his apparent coachability, his heavy workload during his third season in Gainesville and his prowess along the interior of the defensive line, one of Dexter’s most desirable traits for the next level is his versatility.

He’s strong enough to face interior offensive linemen while swift enough to beat tackles on the outside, giving Dexter an opportunity to fit into any system at the next level.

He believes it gives him an edge over the rest of the pack vying to be selected”

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Rated higher than Benton on some sites. Initially, he looks slow off the snap but the more you watch, you see that it's by choice more than ability to get off as he's right on it sometimes. Could be that he's not fresh without enough rotations or simply preferred to read and react.

The more I watch, the better I like the pick. The guy worth trading up for was White but that would have cost way too much.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

I didnt really follow Florida's defensive scheme, although I did go to one one of their games....anyway

A couple things....he was potentially being thought of as a top ten pick at the end of 2021. His performance was that good in 2021. He dropped off production last year, but played 50% more snaps..

Poles was referencing his play style.

Dexter was asked to play a read and mirror technique. I assume Florida was playing a 4-3 hybrid in which they asked Dexter to cover two gaps. That would mean he isn't instantly shooting a gap like a typical 1 gap 4-3 defense.

Poles said he'd be a 1 gap player here which means his job is to get up field immediately.

The whole knock on his quickness probably stems from what play style he was asked to do.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I am telling you guys the DL at Florida was so thin last year. He was completely exhausted.

He is very quick and strong for a big man. His grade suffered due to inconsistency.

Certainly some risk here but many people thought he would be a first rounder going into the season.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I didnt really follow Florida's defensive scheme, although I did go to one one of their games....anyway

A couple things....he was potentially being thought of as a top ten pick at the end of 2021. His performance was that good in 2021. He dropped off production last year, but played 50% more snaps..

Poles was referencing his play style.

Dexter was asked to play a read and mirror technique. I assume Florida was playing a 4-3 hybrid in which they asked Dexter to cover two gaps. That would mean he isn't instantly shooting a gap like a typical 1 gap 4-3 defense.

Poles said he'd be a 1 gap player here which means his job is to get up field immediately.

The whole knock on his quickness probably stems from what play style he was asked to do.
Thanks for that. Exactly what I saw after watching more film. Didn't see him as a 3-tech at the time drafted but now see he has that versatility if he rotated there.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins