$60 Million guaranteed to Jackson and Whitehair.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is what you get by over evaluating your own draft picks and paying them early. The point of paying early is to get a better deal but instead Pace gives tag # deals early, after players have career years. EJ is fine at FS but he's WAY overpaid with ramifications elsewhere. Cody has been an average starter at best this year which is fine and functional at 1/2 his pay but not playing anywhere near his deal. These contracts are about hubris/confirmation bias, thinking your smarter than everyone else. The same things giving Pace too much patience with other aspects of the team of his doing is helping to create these cap problems.

Last edited:

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
This is what you get by over evaluating your own draft picks and paying them early. The point of paying early is to get a better deal but instead Pace gives tag # deals early after players have career years. EJ is fine at FS but he's WAY overpaid with ramifications elsewhere. Cody has been an average starter at best this year which is fine and functional at 1/2 his pay but not playing anywhere near his deal. These contracts are about hubris/confirmation bias, thinking your smarter than everyone else. The same things giving Pace too much patience with other aspects of the team of his doing is helping to create these cap problems.
But but but…you get what you pay for?! Right?!

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Same people that cheered those signings were pushing for AR at 20 mil a year last offseason and just a few weeks ago 10mil a year for James daniels. None of it makes sense. And in Jackson case when he got his extension it was coming off a fairly mediocre season

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's not even about Pace giving out the contracts to Jackson, Whitehair and Trevathan. It's how he backloaded the hell out of them so their most severe cap hits are coming next year and the year after that. If the Bears fire Ryan Pace in January...his successor is virtually stuck with these bum contracts.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
It's not even about Pace giving out the contracts to Jackson, Whitehair and Trevathan. It's how he backloaded the hell out of them so their most severe cap hits are coming next year and the year after that. If the Bears fire Ryan Pace in January...his successor is virtually stuck with these bum contracts.
It’s such shitty as cap management he keeps redoing those bad deals to push those figures into future years.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
But but but…you get what you pay for?! Right?!
You hope, right? When was Whitehair special, ever? He was good at C except he couldn't snap consistently. Kinda important. You can be less than beefblock at center with good hands and leverage which he has but he has a smaller anchor than you want at G. When we drafted him, I said he may be a good C because he had those great hands in college and he's not a road grader. Unfortunately, he never got snapping down at the position that his other play was best at.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yup and why the guaranteed money emphasis. I would have signed Kwiat instead though he's also getting fewer reps this year.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Same people that cheered those signings were pushing for AR at 20 mil a year last offseason and just a few weeks ago 10mil a year for James daniels. None of it makes sense. And in Jackson case when he got his extension it was coming off a fairly mediocre season
Daniels still needs seasoning but is actually our best lineman outside of Peters. My biggest issue with the line is Mustipher and Whitehair next to each other since neither is a power player. You can get away with one that has good hands and technique (Whitehair) but as is, it's a soft spot that's compressing the pocket.

You can't use your 3rd or 4th RT, not help him and expect what may be the strongest middle DL to not get a push. Makes it too easy for edge blitzes. How can Lazor and Nagy not adjust the (already poor) protection plan when they found out about Wilkerson. Doesn't matter if it's a same day thing. This O is poorly coached.

Last edited:

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I agree Whitehair has been solid but not spectacular. 0 false start penalties in the last 3 years, giving up only a few sacks, only missed like 3 games in his career, I do think the fans underrate him though.

This line is certainly getting alot of hate right now but with 3 injured tackles any line is going to struggle.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree Whitehair has been solid but not spectacular. 0 false start penalties in the last 3 years, giving up only a few sacks, only missed like 3 games in his career, I do think the fans underrate him though.

This line is certainly getting alot of hate right now but with 3 injured tackles any line is going to struggle.
I don't think anyone here dumped on Whitehair but he's way overpaid for an average starting NFL G.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Daniels still needs seasoning but is actually our best lineman outside of Peters. My biggest issue with the line is Mustipher and Whitehair next to each other since neither is a power player. You can get away with one that has good hands and technique (Whitehair) but as is, it's a soft spot that's compressing the pocket.

You can't use your 3rd or 4th RT, not help him and expect what may be the strongest middle DL to not get a push. Makes it too easy for edge blitzes. How can Lazor and Nagy not adjust the (already poor) protection plan when they found out about Wilkerson. Doesn't matter if it's a same day thing. This O is poorly coached.

I'm good with Whitehair as long as we fix the two spots next to him at C and RT. Fixing those two spots will make him better as well. The o-line needs to be one big cohesive unit for it to be good/great.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I'm good with Whitehair as long as we fix the two spots next to him at C and RT. Fixing those two spots will make him better as well. The o-line needs to be one big cohesive unit for it to be good/great.
Do you actually watch games? He plays LG. Nobody said he wasn't viable, just overpaid.

I said before we lost all these RTs that the line would grade out as average this year. I still think that's the case if the O scheme better to match opponents and Fields gets rid of the rock more timely because at this point, teams know to bring it and not get burned. Our weaknesses right now are RT and C. But you can help a T if needed.

Last edited:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Do you actually watch games? He plays LG. Nobody said he wasn't viable, just overpaid.

I said before we lost all these RTs that the line would grade out as average this year. I still think that's the case if the O scheme better to match opponents and Fields gets rid of the rock more timely because at this point, teams know to bring it and not get burned. Our weaknesses right now are RT and C. But you can help a T if needed.
You seem so angry with me just giving my opinion. So i haven't missed a game since the early 80's, how bout you? I got them mixed up cause Daniels has been our LG when he wasn't playing C before this year. Simple mistake but so angry about it. Nobody can touch me on Bears football i promise you that.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:

If Peters wasn't 39 he would be the only person on the line I wouldn't absolutely be looking for an upgrade for in the offseason. Unfortunately all 5 spots need upgraded. Whitehair has got abused pretty consistently in the pass game this year. Also him and Daniels both seem to miss their assignments fairly often by turning the wrong way and leaving the T or C screwed with too many guys to block.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You seem so angry with me just giving my opinion. So i haven't missed a game since the early 80's, how bout you? I got them mixed up cause Daniels has been our LG when he wasn't playing C before this year. Simple mistake but so angry about it. Nobody can touch me on Bears football i promise you that.
70s for me. Doesn't make my dick longer. WTF?
That's was angry? LOL. You claim that Whitehair will get better with better players next to him and that's obvious but he'd still be overpaid. Kinda the subject of this thread. Nobody here said he wasn't deserving to start.

Last edited:

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Lol okay Erik Lambert

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Peters wasn't 39 he would be the only person on the line I wouldn't absolutely be looking for an upgrade for in the offseason. Unfortunately all 5 spots need upgraded. Whitehair has got abused pretty consistently in the pass game this year. Also him and Daniels both seem to miss their assignments fairly often by turning the wrong way and leaving the T or C screwed with too many guys to block.
In my mind, they don't. C and hopefully our young Ts can play and we're OK. Of course that projects some improvement from Daniels. You don't need a bunch of stars on the OL. You need competence.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
In my mind, they don't. C and hopefully our young Ts can play and we're OK. Of course that projects some improvement from Daniels. You don't need a bunch of stars on the OL. You need competence.
Most SB teams have elite line play. Obviously we need to improve from bad, but at some point over the next several years I'd like them to build an elite OL

discplayer

Liked Posts:
This is what you get by over evaluating your own draft picks and paying them early. The point of paying early is to get a better deal but instead Pace gives tag # deals early, after players have career years. EJ is fine at FS but he's WAY overpaid with ramifications elsewhere. Cody has been an average starter at best this year which is fine and functional at 1/2 his pay but not playing anywhere near his deal. These contracts are about hubris/confirmation bias, thinking your smarter than everyone else. The same things giving Pace too much patience with other aspects of the team of his doing is helping to create these cap problems.
Except that Jackson is NOT fine at FS. He's a shell of the player he flashed as in '18. He hates to tackle, never wraps up, hasn't sniffed or forced a turnover in forever - which was the one thing that got him that ridiculously fat contract - and he loafs toward the action when other bodies are already there. No swarming to the ball whatsoever.

No, Jackson is the worst of Pace's bloated signings.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Except that Jackson is NOT fine at FS. He's a shell of the player he flashed as in '18. He hates to tackle, never wraps up, hasn't sniffed or forced a turnover in forever - which was the one thing that got him that ridiculously fat contract - and he loafs toward the action when other bodies are already there. No swarming to the ball whatsoever.

No, Jackson is the worst of Pace's bloated signings.
He sucks less than he's given credit for but I agree he's been below average and pressing.