[A] Keith Returns Against Wild, Toews Questionable

Ton

Liked Posts:
Duncan Keith has served his five-game suspension and will return against the Minnesota Wild on Thursday, while Jonathan Toews remains questionable. Keith stated this morning that he feels well rested and took his time off to get stronger.

"I feel good and stronger than I was before so hopefully it pays off."

Joel Quenneville told media that it was up to Toews on whether or not he will play on Thursday and that he is progressing well after he was cleared for contact less than a week ago.

"It's up to him," said Joel Quenneville, "He's progressing enough where he'll make that call."

Toews has not ruled out the possibility of suiting up against the Wild, but it will remain a game-day decision for the captain.

“I would love to play in these couple games before we go into the playoffs," Toews said. "I haven’t made that decision for Thursday (vs. Wild) yet. I have another full day before that," he continued. "You’ve got to have that gut instinct that feels right that it’s time to play."

According to Committed Indians, the process for returning from concussion seems to have a big grey area. Although Toews may return to the line-up Thursday, that doesn't necessarily mean he will be 100% ready.

"Even team medical staffs are very limited in what they can and can't tell players regarding the timing for a concussion comeback. As we saw with Crosby and even with Toews, Hjalmarsson, and Kruger in Chicago this year, a player can pass a baseline test and still be closer to 70% than 100%. It's an awful grey area that doesn't have an easy fix, so the best they can do is leave it up to the player once their fitness level appears to be back to normal and they pass a baseline test."

Quotes via Jesse Rodgers, Adam Jahns [TWITTER]

Click here to view the article

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
From the Chicago Trib

[font=Georgia,]Toews said he has passed [/font]NHL[font=Georgia,] concussion protocols but indicated he is not completely symptom-free.[/font]

[font=Georgia,]"I'm very close to that," Toews said. "I'm just trying to work my way back to whatever that might be. There are always little things here and there that trigger it. It's not a perfect thing that I know what to expect at every given part of the day. It always seems to be different. I'm just trying to make sure every part of my life is back to normal first."[/font]

So is Toews OK or not? I would think that any symptoms is reason enough to not come back, even if passing NHL protocols. I don't like the sound of this at all.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Sounds to me that toews is playing it smart. Too many guys come back after meeting nhl protocol but who still have lingering symptoms. Typically those players dont last a month.

There is no rush at all here. Let the kid tell us when he feels he is ready. In a week and a few days the game becomes a lot more physical and exhausting. He needs to think about a lot of things and he has to be as healthy as he can be.

As for keith. Its going to be a great lift for this team. In so much it might get us home ice. We will see.

Ashor-redtribe

Liked Posts:
He is traveling with the team, so my guesstmaition, he will play against the Wings, which could come down to playoff seeding.

R K

I think he's been past them (symptoms) for a week or more and the plan was always to play the last game agains the Wings as I said last week. Remember that last test is a bitch to pass. NO question one of the worst things players like doing is taking that test. If he passed it, I'd think he's ready. He's being bombarded with questions he's probably not sure how to answer at this point.

If he plays, it will be when he thinks he's ready.

EspoForever

Liked Posts:
I hope he is DAMN good and ready when he does play, but I like that he's being coy about the information regarding when that will be. Keeps the opponent guessing.

Pounder

Liked Posts:
I think he's been past them (symptoms) for a week or more and the plan was always to play the last game agains the Wings as I said last week. Remember that last test is a bitch to pass. NO question one of the worst things players like doing is taking that test. If he passed it, I'd think he's ready. He's being bombarded with questions he's probably not sure how to answer at this point.

If he plays, it will be when he thinks he's ready.

What's the test he has to pass that is a bitch to pass? Sorry but I don't know.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
What's the test he has to pass that is a bitch to pass? Sorry but I don't know.

players have to watch a rangers game with Stu. If they make it through without dizzy spells or headaches then they are good to go.

trust me it's harder than you think. I watched the Rangers/Flyers game with him yesterday and after the first period I was concussed and vomiting.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
players have to watch a rangers game with Stu. If they make it through without dizzy spells or headaches then they are good to go.

trust me it's harder than you think. I watched the Rangers/Flyers game with him yesterday and after the first period I was concussed and vomiting.

You are a better man than I.

I didn't make it past the five minute mark before I puked blood.

R K

HAHA! That would do it.

Pounder there are a couple of tests. Both physical and cognitive. There is a thread around here some where explaining them. They are taken as standards during training camp at the beginning of the year. The last 1-2 are a bitch to pass (cognitive) and if you don't, you don't play. Period.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
But why does Toews say he still has symptoms? Either the tests are shit or the medical staff is not up to par about them. They've already let people return too early only to have them back the next game.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
But why does Toews say he still has symptoms? Either the tests are shit or the medical staff is not up to par about them. They've already let people return too early only to have them back the next game.

just because you pass a test does not make you 100%

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, then the tests are shit. If you are not 100% from a concussion then you simply don't get to play. Toews already did the stupid thing and continued to play despite getting his bell rung, who knows what lingering long-term effects that caused. And where was the medical staff in all this? I don't want to see Toews going through what Crosby did, or worse Savard.

Variable

Liked Posts:
Just from his comments, if true, about different things that trigger the return of those symptoms without having even been in a practice or game yet, I really think they need to consider just sidelining him for as long as it takes, playoffs be damned, if they haven't already considered it.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just from his comments, if true, about different things that trigger the return of those symptoms without having even been in a practice or game yet, I really think they need to consider just sidelining him for as long as it takes, playoffs be damned, if they haven't already considered it.

How do you know that he did'nt pass the test some time ago and thats what they've been doing the past few weeks?

Pounder

Liked Posts:
Another thing I thought of - they may already know that Toews is done for the season including playoffs but they are stringing along the fans with hope that he returns for the playoffs. This way the fans don't give up on the season. (marketing call)

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Another thing I thought of - they may already know that Toews is done for the season including playoffs but they are stringing along the fans with hope that he returns for the playoffs. This way the fans don't give up on the season. (marketing call)

Why would he be skating in practice if this was true?

R K

absolutely not.