[A] Keith Returns Against Wild, Toews Questionable

Ashor-redtribe

Liked Posts:
I found out yesterday from a co-worker who playes hockey, and said he flew with the team because the last test is the airline preasure test. If he feels good then he's ready to go, I thought he was joking but shit it makes total sense. I did not know that was a process also.

R K

The last test is a cognitive test they take during preseason. It's a battery of pictures and shapes.

dlrob315

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I found out yesterday from a co-worker who playes hockey, and said he flew with the team because the last test is the airline preasure test. If he feels good then he's ready to go, I thought he was joking but shit it makes total sense. I did not know that was a process also.

He being the co-worker or he being Toews?

R K

That is not a process. Again if anyone is adventurous there is a thread around here some where that has the discussion Seabrook and I had about the tests. Probably at the time Seabrook was out with a concussion.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:

is he the same friend that walks Kubinas dogs?

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
Seems to me that there is a huge flaw in the NHL's concussion protocol that allows a player to return without being COMPLETELY SYMPTOM FREE. How many doctors would tell you to go ahead and play even though you are still feeling symptoms? I'd like to see another wholesale review of the NHL concussion protocols. As we've seen recently, guys being cleared to play is NOT working. Guys are coming back and immediately going out again... Should be a gigantic fucking red flag for the league. The list of guys that come back and are gone a game or two later is too big to list.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
Seems to me that there is a huge flaw in the NHL's concussion protocol that allows a player to return without being COMPLETELY SYMPTOM FREE. How many doctors would tell you to go ahead and play even though you are still feeling symptoms? I'd like to see another wholesale review of the NHL concussion protocols. As we've seen recently, guys being cleared to play is NOT working. Guys are coming back and immediately going out again... Should be a gigantic fucking red flag for the league. The list of guys that come back and are gone a game or two later is too big to list.

if you pass the test, then what? though they are not symptom free, they will just lie about it to play.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
Part of the test should be being 100% symptom free. If you're taking it easy, and are good to play, there should be no reason to be feeling concussion symptoms.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
Part of the test should be being 100% symptom free. If you're taking it easy, and are good to play, there should be no reason to be feeling concussion symptoms.

but how do they test for that? Like I said, the players will just lie.

R K

but how do they test for that? Like I said, the players will just lie.

Exactly. The onus at that point is on the player. I don't think there is a test they know of Pez to test for "symptoms". Just like with the flu going around at the time I'm not sure if you'd know it was a concussion verses being sick.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
Exactly. The onus at that point is on the player. I don't think there is a test they know of Pez to test for "symptoms". Just like with the flu going around at the time I'm not sure if you'd know it was a concussion verses being sick.

when it's a playoff game, and your team needs you. If you can pass the test no player will care that he ocassionally has headaches.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:

Having had a few concussions, there's really no way I would confuse concussion symptoms with the flu.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
Having had a few concussions, there's really no way I would confuse concussion symptoms with the flu.

I've had a few in the past too. The end of the concussion for me was basically just lack of energy and the occasional headache.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
The headaches are what give it away for me. I get totally different headaches with the flu or colds than I do with a concussion.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
The headaches are what give it away for me. I get totally different headaches with the flu or colds than I do with a concussion.

what gave it away for me was the severe neck pain, kind of like whiplash...but I assume that most concussions don't have that side effect, and it was just how I got the concussion.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I don't think he's saying the symptoms are the same or even similar. Just using the flu as an example of symptom types that are hard to quantify. That's how I took it anyways.

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

For me it was not the headaches that were silimar but the feeling of my head being in the clouds.

R K

I don't think he's saying the symptoms are the same or even similar. Just using the flu as an example of symptom types that are hard to quantify. That's how I took it anyways.

yes.

R K

For me it was not the headaches that were silimar but the feeling of my head being in the clouds.

And it's different for every person. Right now the medical community is having a hard time grasping and diagnosing it, but the fans appear to have it nailed. Even without a medical degree. Yea..... Fans know everything.