[A] Marian Hossa: Potential Buyout Candidate?

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
Definitely has to be considered in a couple of years.

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
Definitely has to be considered in a couple of years.

Definitely a candidate. Gonna be interesting to see who we let go, most of all the league is going to be absolutely flooded with very good players. Really wondering how the guys who are bought out are gonna even get picked up by another team.

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Any buyouts the Hawks do will be those that (1) they cannot bury, and (2) have a long term negative impact larger than the positive. I do not think Hossa fits into #2. If Hammer is not moved or Monty does not retire they are higher on the list than Hossa, IMO.

dlrob315

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Any buyouts the Hawks do will be those that (1) they cannot bury, and (2) have a long term negative impact larger than the positive. I do not think Hossa fits into #2. If Hammer is not moved or Monty does not retire they are higher on the list than Hossa, IMO.

I think you can throw Oduya in there too.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
I think Oduya is getting paid more then he maybe should be getting, but look at what FA D men got this last off season. Yes, with the new cap and economics contracts like that will disappear, but you still have to consider when he was signed to that deal, comparatively, the Hawks got a good deal.

puterwiz53

Liked Posts:
Buyouts would be farther better used for long term contracts rather than for a player who only has 1 to 3 years left on his contract. Hossa will definitely be considered as one of the buyouts due to his age, injury history and length of his contract. Keith has a long term contract but is younger and relatively injury free. A good GM will look to the future when considering buyouts and not just the next couple of years. Buyouts will definitely not be easy as GMs will have to consider many things like amount of salary already on the cap, where the upper salary cap will be in 3 or 4 years, how healthy the player is and how many more years this player is expected to play, injury history, etc. All this may be way to far above Bowman's head.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Why would this be above Bowman's head? This team was in salary cap hell 2 years ago and he did a pretty good job of getting it under control. Hossa's contract when signed was a phenomenal deal. It's not his fault they changed the rules on it now.

puterwiz53

Liked Posts:
Yes Bowman got the Hawks out of cap hell but he made wrong decisions in doing it and then look who he signs to fill those gaps. Not a very bright GM in my books. I for ne will be glad when the Hawks get a decent GM who has some hockey smarts and not one that has to listen to his daddy to make decisions.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
RIght. Daddy makes the decisions. Not him and/or any of the scouting team. He had a lot of "choices" who to get rid of when they were ridiculously over the cap (thanks Dale)...and teams pretty much had them at their mercy.

They guys he "got rid of" still in the league -

Byfulien - 5.2

Campbell - 7,14

Ladd - 4,4

Versteeg - 3.08 (is a RFA now)

Fraser - 825k

Niemi - 3,8

Please let me know who he should get rid of on the current roster, to be able to have kept more in salary. This is their salaries now, 2 years after leaving CHI. There's about 25 mil in contracts. Not to mention Brouwer (2,35 mil) and Kopecky (3mil). The players that left were up for RFA status shortly/were going to be cashing in. Keep them for 1 more year, and then they'd lose them regardless.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Montador failed his physical, still has concussion issues.

His cap hit won't hurt the Hawks it seems till he's cleared.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ben Smith reportedly injured his hand, may need surgery. Pirri, Stanton, Saad called up to training camp along with Bollig, Shaw. Also listed Leddy and Kruger as call ups, but being roster players last season, not really a call up IMO.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Leddy and Krüger are technically callups since they played in the AHL this season.

Variable

Liked Posts:
RIght. Daddy makes the decisions. Not him and/or any of the scouting team. He had a lot of "choices" who to get rid of when they were ridiculously over the cap (thanks Dale)...and teams pretty much had them at their mercy.

They guys he "got rid of" still in the league -

Byfulien - 5.2

Campbell - 7,14

Ladd - 4,4

Versteeg - 3.08 (is a RFA now)

Fraser - 825k

Niemi - 3,8

Please let me know who he should get rid of on the current roster, to be able to have kept more in salary. This is their salaries now, 2 years after leaving CHI. There's about 25 mil in contracts. Not to mention Brouwer (2,35 mil) and Kopecky (3mil). The players that left were up for RFA status shortly/were going to be cashing in. Keep them for 1 more year, and then they'd lose them regardless.

Aren't you kinda doing the same thing Rosh is with that little jab? Plus, if they had one more year with those guys, that might be one more Cup. Worth it to me.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Pirri should get every chance to be our 2nd line center. He's paid his dues and looked pretty good in a few rockford games I saw. Unless Saad is playing on the 2nd line (or first) put him back in Rockford. He's gonna need the reps and he won't get that many here in the show.

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
BLASPHEMERS!!!!!

Let today's game againt LA serve as a just a taste of why you don't ditch a healthy Hossa. I've said it before and still believe that the contract Hawks nation is gonna lose their minds in regret over is the Keith one. Hossa was trained too welll as a kid under that Soviet system in Czechoslovakia and his father. He's just a fundamentally sound two-way forward and he's a hoss. Period. Keith is a fundamentally brilliant skater and is fundamentally fast for a d-man but I could bever say he's a fundamentally sound d-man. Yeah, I'd place my wager on Hossa being more Selanne-like and take him pushing 40-41 while being productive over Keith pushing 36-37 every day and twice on Sundays.

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, because Hossa's never proven over his whole career that when healthy he's been a consistent stud---best to hold tight and see if he even knows how to play this whole thing they call hockey.