[A] Marian Hossa: Potential Buyout Candidate?

EspoForever

Liked Posts:
Yeah...I'm kind of shocked those contracts didn't get 'grandfathered' in

Exactly...how the hell can they punish you for playing by the rules as they were at the time? Pretty crappy.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I thought it was because that was Bettman's "screw you" to the teams that gave out those long ass front loaded contracts.
I'll assume you were kidding as not grandfathering those contracts in hurt the owners more than the players, they still get paid either way. And who does Bettman work for?

hawky

Liked Posts:
I realize I'm late to the party on this topic, but as a long time Hawks fan and new member to this site I just felt the need to remind everyone (if it already hasn't been done) that we need to be careful here. Hossa is an unbelievable talent, no question. But with age and recent injury concerns, this buyout has to be carefully looked at. Check out the Bruins and having to pay Savard $4,021,429 this year and the next four because of LTIR. That possibility as well as early retirement? Buyout is less painfull for the long term goals of the team.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
Welcome.

And I don't envy the decision the front office has to make. Is Hossa strong enough to work the entire length of the contract? It is a huge question mark.

Conversely, if they do buy him out and turns into the next Gordie Howe, they will look like dupa's.

Right now I am in the keep him for better or worse group.

Ton

Liked Posts:
I realize I'm late to the party on this topic, but as a long time Hawks fan and new member to this site I just felt the need to remind everyone (if it already hasn't been done) that we need to be careful here. Hossa is an unbelievable talent, no question. But with age and recent injury concerns, this buyout has to be carefully looked at. Check out the Bruins and having to pay Savard $4,021,429 this year and the next four because of LTIR. That possibility as well as early retirement? Buyout is less painfull for the long term goals of the team.

Welcome.

It's a tough situation for the Hawks to be in. On one hand, you have one of the best two way players in the game today... on the other hand, he just can't seem to stay healthy. I think it's worth exploring the possibility of a trade before a buy out and that could lessen the cap hit if he were to retire early. I think that would have to come around 2014-2016ish if they tried to trade him.

If they bought him out after the season, it's $15 million out of Rockys pocket spread out until 2028. It's not counted on the cap, but I don't think the Blackhawks, or anyone, would be comfortable shelling out that kind of money for nothing. If you read the whole article, (not sure if your read it or not) it explains both sides of the story. Personally I don't think they will buy him out.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
This thread is funny... whoever made it should suit up in goalie pads and let Hossa rip shootout slapshots at them!!!!!!!!

<

R K

by the Louongo rule he will never be bought out, and or traded. Unless he's waived first. And claimed.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Personally, I think if the Hawks win a Stanley Cup in the next two seasons, you buy him out. Obviously wait till the last season, but with his size of a contract and the style of hockey he plays, its an EXTREME risk to hope he is able to fufill his entire contract and want to play for those minimum dollars end the end of it.

supraman

Liked Posts:
THanks for the link, very interesting. It looks like the rule just basically holds the teams accountable for the full cap hit of the players contract no matter what happens. I'm ok with that.

Frankly in a trade I dont think the original owner should be held accountable. The other team knew what they were getting it wasn't like "Aha now you have to eat this terrible contract I didn't tell you about"

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Frankly in a trade I dont think the original owner should be held accountable. The other team knew what they were getting it wasn't like "Aha now you have to eat this terrible contract I didn't tell you about"
But that's not what it's about. It's only held accountable if they use the trade to circumvent cap rules and to get savings which put them on uneven ground. Unless that team holds on to the player long enough to balance out the cap savings, they should be penalized for going well over the cap that year in real money, then trading off that player before it evens out. If you don't penalize them, then some teams could be over the cap 6-10 million every year and just trade off the players down the road and sign news ones. Obviously it's not that simple because you have to have trade partners and such. But you have to tell vancouver that they can't get away with 6+ million over the cap for 2 years by trading the player away.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
From the capgeek.com Recapture penalty calculator. In this scenario Hossa retires once the 4 bogus years start.

[font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]If [/font]Marian Hossa[font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif] retires or defects in the [/font]2017[font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif] off-season (age [/font]38[font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif] as of July 1 that year) and is not traded before doing so, following is an estimated breakdown of the recapture penalties for the involved teams.[/font]

Chicago Blackhawks (2017-18 through 2020-21)

Benefit $18,375,000

Cap Penalty $4,593,750

R K

THanks for the link, very interesting. It looks like the rule just basically holds the teams accountable for the full cap hit of the players contract no matter what happens. I'm ok with that.

The only way around that would be to put the player on Waivers. I'm going to guess Hossa would never clear them contract or not, because the cap hit is not bad at all.

Then if claimed the Hawks or any team would be off the hook. Either way he is not a buy out option, nor are any of the other cirumventing contracts like Keith, Zetterberg, Ovechkin, Pronger (Flyers are fucked), and probably 1-2 more.

R K

From the capgeek.com Recapture penalty calculator. In this scenario Hossa retires once the 4 bogus years start.

[/size]

One step further if you trade Hossa, he retires under the same scenario, the two teams involved would split the yearly cap penalty.

Ton

Liked Posts:
The only way around that would be to put the player on Waivers. I'm going to guess Hossa would never clear them contract or not, because the cap hit is not bad at all.

Then if claimed the Hawks or any team would be off the hook. Either way he is not a buy out option, nor are any of the other cirumventing contracts like Keith, Zetterberg, Ovechkin, Pronger (Flyers are fucked), and probably 1-2 more.

Why wouldn't the Flyers buy out Pronger? The amnesty buyout was made for contracts like his.

EDIT: Nvm, because his contract doesn't qualify under the Cap Benefit Recapture anyway. Rick DiPietro on the other hand...

inhoc83

Liked Posts:
One step further if you trade Hossa, he retires under the same scenario, the two teams involved would split the yearly cap penalty.

Not according to Cap Geek's calculator. It claims that the team he is traded to only is responsible for splitting their share of the cap benefit. So if Hossa is traded in a year where his cap hit is equal to or greater than his actual salary then the team he is traded to has no cap penalty if he retires.

R K

Not according to Cap Geek's calculator. It claims that the team he is traded to only is responsible for splitting their share of the cap benefit. So if Hossa is traded in a year where his cap hit is equal to or greater than his actual salary then the team he is traded to has no cap penalty if he retires.

I thought that too but it was explained different than it read on there. If that were the case Lou would be playing in a different city right now I imagine.

inhoc83

Liked Posts:
I thought that too but it was explained different than it read on there. If that were the case Lou would be playing in a different city right now I imagine.

The whole situation is extremely confusing. The calculator on cap geek is interesting to play around with possible scenarios but who knows if it is accurate on all the rules and loop holes. I am in no way advocating that Hossa should be bought out but you have to at least hold on to one of the buy outs until after next season and see where things are. The potential cap penalties/punishments down the road could be devestating for a year or two.

I want Hossa to finish the contract and retire a Hawk but if he decided to retire early the team could be in cap hell for a year or 2. On the other hand there could be an all new CBA before the huge cap penalties kick in so...