[A] Marian Hossa: Potential Buyout Candidate?

Variable

Liked Posts:
That's not the point. Head trauma is unpredictable. This is his first game back with actual contact after that concussion. We don't "know" anything yet as to how he is going to react. It's something that has to be taken into account with him and because of his contract length and the consequences the Hawks face if he doesn't finish it, the option of buying him out is a legitimate one, like it or not. No one WANTS to get rid of him. I'd love it if he could play through to the rest of this contract. He's just a question mark as to how he will react throughout this season.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Barring any serious injuries, I would tend to agree with Book that Hossa seems like a player that could perform well into his 40s.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Everyone is missing the point if you think the 'buy him out' idea is because held not good

The reasoning is - does he plan on playing those last few years when his contract is minimum. Show me one single post where anyone said he isn't good?? Oh yeah...you can't, because no one ever said he wasn't.

I'd consider it in summer 2014. Get this year, and next out of him...then see where his health/mind is

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Everyone is missing the point if you think the 'buy him out' idea is because held not good

The reasoning is - does he plan on playing those last few years when his contract is minimum. Show me one single post where anyone said he isn't good?? Oh yeah...you can't, because no one ever said he wasn't.

I'd consider it in summer 2014. Get this year, and next out of him...then see where his health/mind is

You still have to consider what he brings to the squad, and whether or not it can be at least reasonably replaced. Given his numbers last year and his start this year, if we would buy him out I would expect to see both bowmans, rocky, and mcdonut bouncing down the sides of the hancock tower...

...not a bad visual for any 'hawks fan but that's besides the point. 30+ goals and 80+ points is a lot to replace and right now, I don't see anyone in our system that can replicate that level of offensive play and/or anyone that can replicate his play as a strong defensive forward. If the hawks want to buy him out, they have to start acquiring pieces to replace that right now. If not and he is bought out this team would be taking a HUGE step back.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Starting in 16/17 his salary drops to 4mil...(and he'll be 37)

Then the last 4yrs 1mil, 1mil, 750k, 750k

He wals away from that, the Hawks still will have to 5mil cap hit

So if they keep him this, and next ...they will prob only be losing him for the 14/15 and 15/16 seasons

Yes..big loss in talent. But bigger cap hit for a guy that may retire and not even be in the lineup the last 4 years of his deal. 5mil can go a long way

JOVE23

Liked Posts:

But if he keeps producing when he's 700?

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Firstly, I would not be a Hossa fangirl of the highest order if I didn't defend him at all costs! LOL

Secondly, NO ONE is missing the point of the buyout chatter. MY point several posts ago is that folks had better think long and fucking hard about which long-term contracts they'd have Stan run outta town and today's game was exactly what I said, "a taste" of why I'm incredulous about it. The notion behind Ton's article that starts the thread is clearly focused on the common sense fiscal realities of the new CBA and that if you swing at the bat on him you have to realize Hossa will be in his 40s when his contract ends and so it's risky esp. considering the concussion versus say the Keith contract. I personally think you can't factor the concussion at this juncture in determining who's invaluable to your squad. There are several key players who have concussion histories I live in career fear for on this team like Toews and The Biscuit and now Hossa's just another added to the list as far as I am concerned though naturally it's the Toews situation that can make you wake up sweating from night terrors. Career-ending concussions don't care if you're in your 20s or 30s.

My point is that I think that if his body feels good Hossa will play for years and because he's so fundamentally rock solid a player he should deliver for you---not always leading in team pts. necessarily but because his being a fucking BOSS won't just disappear all vapor-like. Fans bitch all season long about players who are terrible in this zone or that zone, who are turnover machines, who don't check, who don't hustle. who don't have "hands", who don't have hockey IQ, etc., etc. He's just like any player star or not in that of course Hossa will be invisible in games too and he can make turnovers and with he will go on the schneid a few times a season (not EPIC! ones though) but he tries to compensate by doing other things to contribute so I still maintain that since following him when he was with OTT that if his body is okay he will play well overall because he's a fundamentally great forward. Players can watch and learn from this man for years---as many Hawks have said they do on camera. Two-way play. Work ethic. Quiet leadership. Blah blah blah intangiblescakes! And based on what happened after the last lockout who's to say what the cap will be after the 2013-14 season? Based on this week of training camps and this weekends season openers fans sure aren't going to make the NHL "pay" with their pocketbooks.

Many fans think Hossa is not the one you take the risk with with after the two-season buyout grace period? Fine. But there might be a very few of us who actually do think you swing the bat for him and it's fine to have that opinion too. Though I love having The Biscuit locked up long-term I personally would give serious consideration to the Keith contract because for all his physical gifts I still think a fast PMD can be had down the road. If not Keith then I'd serve up the new Sharp contract which I was pretty steamed had a NTC in the first place because yes, I do think an aging Hossa still will provide more all around as a forward then even The Most Handsome Goal Scorer That Ever Goal Scored!

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
How motivated will he be to play from 38-42...when his total contract those 4 years will be 3.5mil and he'll be entering his 20th year in the NHL

I'm sure he'll be talented enough, like Selanne....except Sellane in these last 4yrs has made what..15mil?

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
How motivated will he be to play from 38-42...when his total contract those 4 years will be 3.5mil and he'll be entering his 20th year in the NHL

I'm sure he'll be talented enough, like Selanne....except Sellane in these last 4yrs has made what..15mil?

lol, exactly. Take a risk that Hossa plays out his contract? Just because he CAN doesn't mean he WILL.

Like PMXC has said, give him the next two seasons and then decide.

IMO I'd rather have that 5 million going to guys who will be playing than risking it on a guy who may not.

Ton

Liked Posts:
For the record, I don't miss Havlat anymore... lol

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I have no idea and that's an entirely separate issue IMO. If he has an honest discussion with himself and with the Hawks brass and wants to retire after 2013-14 or can honestly tell them that he can only see playing a season more then yes, he should get the compliance buyout and he would de facto be complicit in this decision. If he doesn't want to play then I can't fangirl wish him into continuing. If the subject is just the general "Who should your team use their compliance buyouts on? Hey, Hossa has a long contract so him!" without knowing his long term intentions then you bet your ass I'm going to argue that folks take a more pensive approach and think their shit out. I have zero problems with waiting until the summer of 2014 but I'll say now, if he's fine physically, has played fine the two seasons, and doesn't envision retiring and no serious weight is given to letting him play out his contract then yeah, I'm gonna be pissed.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Starting in 16/17 his salary drops to 4mil...(and he'll be 37)

Then the last 4yrs 1mil, 1mil, 750k, 750k

He wals away from that, the Hawks still will have to 5mil cap hit

So if they keep him this, and next ...they will prob only be losing him for the 14/15 and 15/16 seasons

Yes..big loss in talent. But bigger cap hit for a guy that may retire and not even be in the lineup the last 4 years of his deal. 5mil can go a long way

The key is *may*. None of us know what he's thinking now, nor what he will be a couple of years from now. For all we know he could play out his entire contract and even in his final year not be a complete liability. IMHO unless Hossa is asked by/comes straight out to management saying he's only playing for a couple of more years then he's gone, you don't buy out our best FWD. IMHO if we're going to blow up the team like that, we might as well do it that far ahead into the future when all of our young talent right now is past their prime rather than *now* when they are in or approaching their prime.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
You're not "blowing up the team" if you buyout Hossa at 35 years old when you'd have a very large majority of your team under 30, as well as Toews/Kane at 26/27

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Isn't it amazing how in an instant Hossa's contract goes from being one of the best in the league to talking about buying it out....

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Yeah...I'm kind of shocked those contracts didn't get 'grandfathered' in

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
BLASPHEMERS!!!!!

Let today's game againt LA serve as a just a taste of why you don't ditch a healthy Hossa. I've said it before and still believe that the contract Hawks nation is gonna lose their minds in regret over is the Keith one. Hossa was trained too welll as a kid under that Soviet system in Czechoslovakia and his father. He's just a fundamentally sound two-way forward and he's a hoss. Period. Keith is a fundamentally brilliant skater and is fundamentally fast for a d-man but I could bever say he's a fundamentally sound d-man. Yeah, I'd place my wager on Hossa being more Selanne-like and take him pushing 40-41 while being productive over Keith pushing 36-37 every day and twice on Sundays.

I fully endores this post.

Variable

Liked Posts:
Firstly, I would not be a Hossa fangirl of the highest order if I didn't defend him at all costs! LOL

Secondly, NO ONE is missing the point of the buyout chatter. MY point several posts ago is that folks had better think long and fucking hard about which long-term contracts they'd have Stan run outta town and today's game was exactly what I said, "a taste" of why I'm incredulous about it. The notion behind Ton's article that starts the thread is clearly focused on the common sense fiscal realities of the new CBA and that if you swing at the bat on him you have to realize Hossa will be in his 40s when his contract ends and so it's risky esp. considering the concussion versus say the Keith contract. I personally think you can't factor the concussion at this juncture in determining who's invaluable to your squad. There are several key players who have concussion histories I live in career fear for on this team like Toews and The Biscuit and now Hossa's just another added to the list as far as I am concerned though naturally it's the Toews situation that can make you wake up sweating from night terrors. Career-ending concussions don't care if you're in your 20s or 30s.

My point is that I think that if his body feels good Hossa will play for years and because he's so fundamentally rock solid a player he should deliver for you---not always leading in team pts. necessarily but because his being a fucking BOSS won't just disappear all vapor-like. Fans bitch all season long about players who are terrible in this zone or that zone, who are turnover machines, who don't check, who don't hustle. who don't have "hands", who don't have hockey IQ, etc., etc. He's just like any player star or not in that of course Hossa will be invisible in games too and he can make turnovers and with he will go on the schneid a few times a season (not EPIC! ones though) but he tries to compensate by doing other things to contribute so I still maintain that since following him when he was with OTT that if his body is okay he will play well overall because he's a fundamentally great forward. Players can watch and learn from this man for years---as many Hawks have said they do on camera. Two-way play. Work ethic. Quiet leadership. Blah blah blah intangiblescakes! And based on what happened after the last lockout who's to say what the cap will be after the 2013-14 season? Based on this week of training camps and this weekends season openers fans sure aren't going to make the NHL "pay" with their pocketbooks.

Many fans think Hossa is not the one you take the risk with with after the two-season buyout grace period? Fine. But there might be a very few of us who actually do think you swing the bat for him and it's fine to have that opinion too. Though I love having The Biscuit locked up long-term I personally would give serious consideration to the Keith contract because for all his physical gifts I still think a fast PMD can be had down the road. If not Keith then I'd serve up the new Sharp contract which I was pretty steamed had a NTC in the first place because yes, I do think an aging Hossa still will provide more all around as a forward then even The Most Handsome Goal Scorer That Ever Goal Scored!

Except if Toews gets re-occurring concussion symptoms and has to retire early or before his contract ends, there's no cap penalty like there is with Hossa. Sharp's doesn't either. No one can argue that Hossa when healthy can be one of the top players in the league. It's just like you said, you can't predict head trauma and how it affects players so because of that the option of buying him out always has to be on the table. Don't have to like it but it is a reality because of those circumstances.