[A] Mike Haviland Fired

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
People want Q gone...and at the NHL level - 15 years, he missed the playoffs once, won the Stanley Cup as a head coach, and an assistant coach. Has a career coaching record over .600 in those years. Won the NHL Coach of the year. Also, the second fastest coach to 600 victories (only behind Bowman)..and only the 10th coach to win 600+

He's 12th in NHL history in win percentage

7th in playoff games coached (1st in active)

1st in active coaches wins

9th in playoff coaches wins (tied 1st active)

There's no active coaches with 2 Stanley Cup wins

But...he's an idiot that people want run out or some ECHL guy to replace, because he juggles lines to much

Or you know, it's entirely possible that the new, younger generation of NHL coaches are given their shots and they usually to a man are naturally culled from minor leagues? Or you know, maybe some people saw that Havi was a coaching winner at every level and think that at least deserves a shot in The Show to succeed or fail on its own merits? Like oh I don't know Mike Yeo being given his chance or even Tippett being given his chance back in the day, They have to start somewhere---it's that simple.

I have no problems refraining from wholesale fellating Q's dick and thinking his "winning" record is an inflated smoke and mirrors reflection of the mega-stacked teams he was literally handed in every NHL club he's coached. Interesting how said teams until the mega-mega stacked Hawks completely underperformed against Cup expectations and then his talent just successively regressed until his ass was booted out of those other towns.

Or you know maybe it's as simple as regardless of his past record maybe people can legitimately feel that he is not the right "fit" for this team or not the right fit anymore. Every coach not known as Scotty Bowman has a club expiration date.

OMG peeps. I was offline all afternoon and then went straight to dinner and a 4.5 hr play and got home to read this fucking HOT ASS MESS disguised as Hawks news. I can't get over the mental clusterfuckery of it yet. This has come out of left field and taken me utterly by surprise. Q is an incompetent fucking charlatan and if you thought I was was all over him like a bad diaper rash before then you can imagine what's going to come from me in the future since I was Team Havi. I can't believe it really. This is what it's come to. The organization will rue this decision just like I always say they will in keeping Q and insist on learning lessons the hard way like COL and STL. {{{shakes head}}}

The only thing that can redeem this situation even slightly is if the Bowmans sac up and act like they're the ones with all the fucking "hand" force him to take on someone he doesn't really want who they view as a successor.

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Although I will also add that as a book geek I am taking especial glee from Stan rolling 100% Machiavelli style and letting Q willfully tighten the slack on his own HC noose. That's pretty much evil genius at work right there. Heh.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
This team keeps doing the wrong decisions all the time. I don't wonder if all the egomanicas in the front office are on the same page, I wonder if their even reading the same book.

I am not happy with Q, I think he's got a shelf-life, but I do think he is the best option available out there, his achievements speak for themselves (although it could be argued, considering the talent he had to work with over his headcoaching years he should have won a Cup before).

Q firing Haviland over his drinking buddy is a political move and not a hockey move, as so many of the decisions this organization have made since McD stepped on board. Bowman played it smart and made it Q's decision, so if shit goes wrong next year, he's protected on that front and has an easy out to fire Q and his buttbuddy as I don't really see him letting Kitchen run the ship for a second.

I don't see what merits Kitchen brings that let him stay, ever since he's joined the staff both special teams and team D has gone to shit, Haviland at least was around when that stuff worked. Sure, the blame falls on Q, and the coaching staff as a whole, in the end but this just stinks. I doubt we'll hear any comments from Haviland, as he seems like a classy person, which can't be said for the rest of the organization. I doubt he'll be needing to wait too long before finding a new job.

I doubt Barry Smith will be joining the staff. If someone that potentially could take over the HC position is brought in, then it tells me that Scooter is very involved in this no matter what he says to the press. And of course the media is so in the pocket that they won't ask the hard questions.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I liked Havi as he always had a smile on his face and from what I've heard about him and from him is he's a class act and a respected coach.

I don't know who ran the PP/PK or shit like that as it always changed in passing, but Bucci was right, the front office is a mess.

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So ironic after Ton's epic article. At least this now confirms the front office is not just slighty clueless but completely and utterly clueless.

I blame Ton's article for Haviland's firing.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
Lets Go Panthers? -.-

I expect Havi either to go to Montreal or to Florida with Dale in some capacity. Either way, its definitely not going to be the last we'll see of Havi. Definitely wish him all the best.

Boy, the Hawks management is really making me want to hate the organization at this moment with weekly moments of stupid decisions like this....

They'll get theirs come Convention time. The boos will be louder than ever this year, I'm sure of that.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
This isn't about wanting Q gone. This is about his inept assistant, Kitchen, being given a free pass. The guy is a fucking failure, yet, he stays, and Havi goes? Give me a fucking break man. Why would Q even bring Kitchen up in the presser, when nobody asked about him, if he wasn't feeling guilty about keeping his designated driver, and firing Havi?

What I find amazing about this is the fact that around most hockey circles, Kitchen is known for being an inept coach. He doesn't know what he's doing or how to coach a team on his own. The fact was proven in both cases here and in St Louis. What I don't get is the fact that our management AND our coach don't seem to understand this proven point. What I also don't get is the supposed "value" Kitchen brings to the table OTHER than being Q's designated driver... Cabana boy? "Personal secretary"? I doubt its being a coach since he can't seem to get the special teams portion of it right....

Either way, I'm with you, Pez. I feel bad for Havi in all this. He doesn't deserve this shit.

This is so gonna bite us all in the ass and we all know it will.

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Step back and really look at this, and this is nothing but a political move from Q. He just secured the next season as head coach of the Blackhawks. If the Hawks were going to fire Q, they would likely have promoted Havi to head coach. Now, he's gone. There's ZERO CHANCE the Hawks fire Q, and promote Kitchen to head coach. ZERO. So, the chances of Q getting fired if the Hawks struggled next season just dropped dramatically. He leaves his designated driver Kitchen in place, knowing damn well the Hawks won't fire him and promote Kitchen. Stan gave Q an ultimatum about the coaching staff, and he chose his drinking buddy over Haviland. Not surprised in the least, to be honest. What a fucking clusterfuck this is.

This isn't about wanting Q gone. This is about his inept assistant, Kitchen, being given a free pass. The guy is a fucking failure, yet, he stays, and Havi goes? Give me a fucking break man. Why would Q even bring Kitchen up in the presser, when nobody asked about him, if he wasn't feeling guilty about keeping his designated driver, and firing Havi?

Good stuff!

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Q's decision?

There was a power struggle between management and coaching mid-season and your telling me Q came out smelling like roses? Bullshit. It was evident at Stan/Q's post season presser. Management told him to make changes or find a new gig. And he kept his boy on board with him over the talent brought up through the Blackhawks affiliate minor league teams.

Having said that, based on the special teams play and the last 2 seasons, the entire coaching staff sucked ass. They should've just made a clean sweep of it.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Well see how long it takes for Havi to land, ultimately that will tell all.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Q has really consolidated his hold on the team, I wonder what roster changes are coming down the pipe. Several bloggers/insiders have said it was no secret Q was not happy with the roster he was provided the last 2 seasons. Might we see a roster shake up?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My dad once told me that the worst thing about all Chicago sports teams is the clueless brass.

Vindication for him.

Ashor-redtribe

Liked Posts:
As little faith I had in this organization.......I have lost all faith. What would have been a dynasty from two years ago. We will not see another cup. Not with who we have running this team. NOT WITH McD. I am a very sad Hawks fan right about now. I atleast thank God I witnessed a Cup.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
They might as well be the Canucks now?

R K

As little faith I had in this organization.......I have lost all faith. What would have been a dynasty from two years ago. We will not see another cup. Not with who we have running this team. NOT WITH McD. I am a very sad Hawks fan right about now. I atleast thank God I witnessed a Cup.

Didn't you just tell everyone to stop bitching about Stan yesterday? Which is it? Because this clearly has his hands on it as well.

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well see how long it takes for Havi to land, ultimately that will tell all.

Every season I read and hear from the hockey press that Havi is perennially one of the so-called "up and comers" who's being considered or on the radar for a HC job but what I have also always heard concurrently is that he doesn't interview well because he refuses to tow a corporate line and bs in said interviews. God, for Havi's sake I hope he's able to find a balance in the next few weeks so he can land a sweetass HC or another Asst. position somewhere good for him and his family.