Adam Wainwright probably out for the season

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ken Rosenthal ‏

Sources: Expectation is that #STLCards’ Wainwright is done for season with Achilles injury. Has not yet undergone MRI.

Six

Liked Posts:
Things just got a lot more interesting in the NL Central.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cards will be in the market for a ace this year. I don't think it affects the Cubs that was as the Cubs will be looking at a #3.

Now they have Lacky 4.34 ERA. About equal to Hammel. Lynn 1.56 ERA Martinez 1.35 ERA. Wacha 1.33 ERA. Over all their staff is stronger but lacks a leader.

AAA they have Tim Cooney. 2-1 3.63 ERA. seems ok.

Over all if Wacha steps up into the ace role and Cooney is able to hold down the #5 they are still going to win games with their staff ERA. Cole Hamels IMO becomes a target if Wainwright is lost for the year.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Cards will be in the market for a ace this year. I don't think it affects the Cubs that was as the Cubs will be looking at a #3.

Now they have Lacky 4.34 ERA. About equal to Hammel. Lynn 1.56 ERA Martinez 1.35 ERA. Wacha 1.33 ERA. Over all their staff is stronger but lacks a leader.

AAA they have Tim Cooney. 2-1 3.63 ERA. seems ok.

Over all if Wacha steps up into the ace role and Cooney is able to hold down the #5 they are still going to win games with their staff ERA. Cole Hamels IMO becomes a target if Wainwright is lost for the year.

Clooney's not that highly regarded. MLB.com has him as their 10th best prospect with a 45 grade which roughly equates to 4/5th starter or bull pen depending largely on control. For example, Hendricks was a 45 guy too IIRC and Ramirez/Grimm were. Their stuff was more dominant but they didn't have quite the same control.

Marco Gonzales would probably be the guy to call up as their best pitching prospect.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Clooney's not that highly regarded. MLB.com has him as their 10th best prospect with a 45 grade which roughly equates to 4/5th starter or bull pen depending largely on control. For example, Hendricks was a 45 guy too IIRC and Ramirez/Grimm were. Their stuff was more dominant but they didn't have quite the same control.

Marco Gonzales would probably be the guy to call up as their best pitching prospect.

Yep, it will likely be Gonzales in the rotation at some point. I just heard Bob Nightengale say they don't have nearly enough in prospects to get Hamels but might try to add a veteran #3 or #4 starter if the rotation falters at all. Not sure this helps the Cubs much unless they trade for another starter. Just probably makes the division a true three team race.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yep, it will likely be Gonzales in the rotation at some point. I just heard Bob Nightengale say they don't have nearly enough in prospects to get Hamels but might try to add a veteran #3 or #4 starter if the rotation falters at all. Not sure this helps the Cubs much unless they trade for another starter. Just probably makes the division a true three team race.

If anything the Cubs adding a legit #3 puts them into the convo with the Cards. They have to match up with Martinez, Wacha and Lynn.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
If anything the Cubs adding a legit #3 puts them into the convo with the Cards. They have to match up with Martinez, Wacha and Lynn.

I tend to agree but it leaves the race open for Pittsburgh as well and maybe it emboldens Cincy to get some help for one last run. Sure makes it more interesting but there is one thing I learned a long time ago; never count out those damned Cardinals.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Cardinals definitely have the prospects/young players to pull off a trade

*Cue the DH to the NL stories*

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Like I said before, if they are nice to the cubs I'll let them have Edwin Jackson :D

KingDarude7

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cuing mass suicides among Cardinals fans in 3...2...1...

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is a big blow for the Cards. Dont let the ERA fool you. Carlos Martinez is having some serious issues. Dont let the ERA fool you. His FIP is 3.94. It was much higher before his start against the Brewers, but the biggest things is his velocity went down from over 96 last year to just a tick above 93. That is a huge drop. He is carrying a ridiculous BABIP against him of .178. That isnt sustainable and I think very soon he is going to start getting knocked around. He has all the signs of luck at this point.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Sucks for him, but good for us.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Cardinals and Cubs will both look to add a starting pitcher. If Wainwright ends up being out of the season, it could be the difference between a Wild Card and division title of the Cubs. Losing his leadership is really going to hurt their rotation (obviously), but also put a lot more pressure on Molina to help guide these young pitchers through games.