Alfonso Soriano returns to New York Yankees

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Depends on the return if I care or not.

Say the Cubs ship over 18 of the 24 mil left on the deal and take back Manny Banuelos

(Scouting Grades* (present/future): Fastball: 5/6 | Curveball: 5/6 | Changeup: 5/6 | Control: 4/5 | Overall: 5/6
Banuelos was on the brink of making the Yankees back in 2011 as one of the most exciting left-handed pitching prospects in baseball, but has backslid since. While he reached Triple-A in 2011, he lost some of his feel for pitching and his command dissipated considerably. He made just six starts in 2012 and eventually needed, and had, Tommy John surgery. He'll miss the 2013 season as a result, but he's still young enough to bounce back and reclaim the buzz surrounding him. When he's healthy, he has the chance to have three above-average pitches in his fastball, curve and changeup and has shown the ability to have average command in the past.)

Maybe a arm or 2 ranked in their 20-30 range then sure.

I don't see the Cubs contending and right now they should just turn over the roster of the players that are not part of the future.

It also frees up LF earlier. The way I see it Olt is going to 3B. Lake is playing at a clip that may push a ful time gig. Vitters is getting pushed to the OF and has a project-able bat. Add in Szczur a year away.

They need to get some of these kids some AB's at the majors to see if they are or they are not.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
This will make Lake play full-time when DeJesus returns. And the Cubs could be players in the off-season (Not many and any you would think of), per reports already. If Soriano gets dealt, Gregg, Schierholtz and Russell could be on deck. I think the Pirates could offer a good 'spect for Schierholtz in which the Cubs can't decline.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Depends on the return if I care or not.

Say the Cubs ship over 18 of the 24 mil left on the deal and take back Manny Banuelos

(Scouting Grades* (present/future): Fastball: 5/6 | Curveball: 5/6 | Changeup: 5/6 | Control: 4/5 | Overall: 5/6
Banuelos was on the brink of making the Yankees back in 2011 as one of the most exciting left-handed pitching prospects in baseball, but has backslid since. While he reached Triple-A in 2011, he lost some of his feel for pitching and his command dissipated considerably. He made just six starts in 2012 and eventually needed, and had, Tommy John surgery. He'll miss the 2013 season as a result, but he's still young enough to bounce back and reclaim the buzz surrounding him. When he's healthy, he has the chance to have three above-average pitches in his fastball, curve and changeup and has shown the ability to have average command in the past.)

Maybe a arm or 2 ranked in their 20-30 range then sure.

I don't see the Cubs contending and right now they should just turn over the roster of the players that are not part of the future.

It also frees up LF earlier. The way I see it Olt is going to 3B. Lake is playing at a clip that may push a ful time gig. Vitters is getting pushed to the OF and has a project-able bat. Add in Szczur a year away.

They need to get some of these kids some AB's at the majors to see if they are or they are not.

That's it right there...

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seems like this has a good chance of getting done. We've heard about so many Soriano trade scenarios over the last few years, it's gonna be crazy when it actually happens.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I know the Cubs are in rebuild mode but it's dumb to just trade him so the Yankees can eat a little bit of his salary. It's not like they are desperate for money either because they most likely won't be spending money in the off season. I don't want Soriano to be traded but, if he is, I hope they get at least one player in return.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
The Cubs should also give Junior Lake playing time at third base unless if they are going to give Josh Vitters another chance.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I know the Cubs are in rebuild mode but it's dumb to just trade him so the Yankees can eat a little bit of his salary. It's not like they are desperate for money either because they most likely won't be spending money in the off season. I don't want Soriano to be traded but, if he is, I hope they get at least one player in return.

My guess is they're trading him for two reasons, and neither is "so the yankees can eat a little bit of his salary."

1 - You want to get a young guy with upside for him if possible.
2 - You want to send him to a team where he has a chance to win a ring. He's earned it.

Should've accepted the deal to San Fran last year :lol:

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Anyone heard who might be coming back? MLBTR is reporting a "mid-level prospect", which sounds like "we have no &$*(@% clue who is coming back."

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
My guess is they're trading him for two reasons, and neither is "so the yankees can eat a little bit of his salary."

1 - You want to get a young guy with upside for him if possible.
2 - You want to send him to a team where he has a chance to win a ring. He's earned it.

Should've accepted the deal to San Fran last year :lol:

I know I just haven't seen any names thrown around as possible players in the Cubs and Yankees trade so I assumed that it was just for the Yankees to eat a little bit of the salary. I want them to get at least one player in return, just haven't seen an namoes.

I also agree on him being traded to a possible playoff contender. If Soriano is traded, I would like to see the Rangers and Yankees in the AL Championship series.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
8:11am: The Cubs scouted 24-year-old Triple-A right-hander Chase Whitley over the weekend, tweets Joel Sherman of the New York Post. Whitley has a 3.52 ERA with 8.7 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9 in 38 1/3 innings this season.
Sherman adds that right-handed relief is one area where the Yankees feel they're deep in young. In addition to Whitley, they have Preston Claiborne and Shawn Kelley at the Major League level and prospects Dellin Betances, Danny Burawa and Tommy Kahnle on the way.

h/t: mlbtraderumors

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
8:11am: The Cubs scouted 24-year-old Triple-A right-hander Chase Whitley over the weekend, tweets Joel Sherman of the New York Post. Whitley has a 3.52 ERA with 8.7 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9 in 38 1/3 innings this season.
Sherman adds that right-handed relief is one area where the Yankees feel they're deep in young. In addition to Whitley, they have Preston Claiborne and Shawn Kelley at the Major League level and prospects Dellin Betances, Danny Burawa and Tommy Kahnle on the way.

h/t: mlbtraderumors

With the Cubs netting Justin Grimm yesterday, it certainly seems like they're starting to stockpile pitchers who're fringe major leaguers/AAA guys. I'd be really excited if they were able to land a second starter.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Well after losing Feldman and Garza (again 2/3rd's of their rotation) and the possibility of now Soriano, it should be no problem for the Cubs to once again net a top 3 pick in the draft next year.

I think Cubs fans are going to demand something of substance this off-season if Soriano is indeed dealt. Quite frankly, I don't blame them.

Pretty much. I also expect Rizzo to have a tough couple of months with no protection behind him......I definitely wont be surprised if he dips toward a .200 average.

I'd rather keep Soriano; you still need offense, and though Lake has been really fuckin good; I'd deal Nate or DeJesus first......

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Pretty much. I also expect Rizzo to have a tough couple of months with no protection behind him......I definitely wont be surprised if he dips toward a .200 average.

I'd rather keep Soriano; you still need offense, and though Lake has been really fuckin good; I'd deal Nate or DeJesus first......

I think they're both gone, too.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow...if Soriano gets traded back to the NYY, I guess the big question for this forum is what hat Soriano will be wearing on his plaque in Cooperstown...Cubs or Yankees?

Horrible attempt at comedy and just proved your troll status. Keep trucking little buddy. P.S. No one said Soriano was going in to the hall. Those voices in your head are getting in the way of reality again.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
We aren't going to get much for Soriano. If this is a move to keep young kids playing then I am for it. But, if they trade him and put Brian Bogusevic out there then I wont be happy.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Get rid of Sori now, if they can get Manny B for him I would be shocked.

Something tells me tho that the Cubs will make a late run at the WC and after trading Sori will have a problem with scoring runs, pointing fingers at Theoyer saying they just wanted to lose on purpose.

CHAMPS!!!