All-purpose Alfonso Soriano Trade Speculation Thread

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
That also goes hand in hand with the perception that Soriano had a fluke year last year.

Sent from MR Phone

Really, I think he would have been gone by now if he had the NTC, but that is what prevents anything from happening at this point. The fluke year perception certainly doesn't help, but the 10-5 rights is the bigger issue imo.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Methinks the NTC was built into the contract as a way to depress the overall moneys paid to Soriano. Basically you give him the option of getting more money but limiting his no-trade rights, or you say "we won't trade you, but you gotta give us a discount" so that's basically what happened. 10-5 isn't even an issue here, he had NTC all along according to Cots.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Methinks the NTC was built into the contract as a way to depress the overall moneys paid to Soriano. Basically you give him the option of getting more money but limiting his no-trade rights, or you say "we won't trade you, but you gotta give us a discount" so that's basically what happened. 10-5 isn't even an issue here, he had NTC all along according to Cots.

You can call it whatever you want but through either means he has that protection. I understand why it was put there in the first place, but that is why he is still here.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
You can call it whatever you want but through either means he has that protection. I understand why it was put there in the first place, but that is why he is still here.

I was agreeing with you in principle. Dickhole.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
And of course, after today's news of Curtis Granderson's injury, the big names in sports and the twitters are all talking about potential trade of Soriano to the Yankees. Caveats: Granderson may only miss a month of the season, Soriano may or may not have the Yankees on his trade list (Gordo says no, post-game comments suggest the same) and has a desire to stay in Chicago.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chicago Cubs' OF Alfonso Soriano is back in the headlines about a possible trade partner once again. During yesterday's spring training game vs. the San Francisco Giants, news broke that New York Yankees' OF Curtis Granderson will miss time with a broken forearm. An initial report said Granderson will miss 8-10 weeks, but was later changed to 5 weeks of lost time. Right when the news broke, the speculation began about Soriano and the Yankees.

The Yankees, of course, denied they would pursue Soriano and will go with in-house replacements until Granderson is back in action. It actually makes sense for the Yankees because Granderson could return from the DL when the 15 days are finished if the reports are correct.

On Tuesday, Soriano told Gordon Wittenymer of the Chicago Sun-Times that he will not accept a trade to the Yankees. The Yankees are also not on Soriano's new list of teams he would approve a trade to.

Last week, Soriano and his agent met with the Cubs about a possible trade and Soriano gave a list of 6-7 teams of whom he would approve a trade to. The teams are most likely in the Central or the East as he doesn't want to play on the West Coast.

I wrote an article on Soriano and his new list of teams last week and you can find it here.

Soriano keeps going back and fourth on a possible return to the Yankees. He told Buster Olney of ESPN last summer he would approve a trade to the Yankees.

Soriano was asked about a trade to the Yankees and this is what he had to say; "I would have to think about it, but I want to win here [with the Cubs]."

"I don't want to say no of yes quick, I'd have think about. My family and friends will have an influence on my decision."

Soriano keeps saying he wants to win in a Cubs uniform, but that's unlikely to happen in the final 2 years of his contract. Soriano wants to at least remain a Cub until they fall out of contention.

Jon Heyman of Cbssports.com says the Yankees should make a play for Soriano and that GM Brian Cashman's next call should be to Theo Epstein/Jed Hoyer. Heyman said he would be a better DH than what they have now and one of their top right-handed hitters on the team. Heyman and many teams are surprised Soriano hasn't been traded and is still a Cub.

Buster Olney chimed in and said the Cubs will pay the majority of the 36 million owed to Soriano. Yeah, what we knew for the past couple seasons.

I don't think Soriano will be traded very soon, but at some point he will. I don't know if it'll be the Yankees, but they will be linked to Soriano until he is traded.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2013/02/25/alfonso-soriano-back-in-the-headlines/

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sounds like Sori wants to see how season goes with Cubs before he gets traded. If Cub fall out (very likely to happen) sounds like then he be willing to go

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Conflicting reports 780-AM this morning had quoted Soriano as willing to go to the Yankees but the Yankees not interested.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's really no reason for the Yankees to panic. Granderson is key, but he's only out about a month and they can probably fill in with platoons using in-house and non-roster invitees as well as waiver claim guys until he gets back.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Like I said in my article, he will barely missed much time. Reports say only 5 weeks niw and were not even in March yet.! DL stint and when the 15 days are up, he may return. So, that's not long and they really don't need to make a trade. '

But like Heyman says, he'll be a better GH than Hafner and one of the better right-handed hitters in line-up. They are very lefty friendly.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's this:

While the Cubs "feel the presence of teams watching Alfonso Soriano," nevertheless "no substantive talks have taken place yet," tweets Nick Cafardo of The Boston Globe. Cafardo mentions the Phillies and Yankees as teams that are "on the radar" for a possible Soriano deal.