Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Get it done, Hoyer.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only problem will be the Cubs lost all their power in their line-up. But it doesn't matter and they will figure something out. The Cubs will then need 3 OF then if Soriano goes. Thet could mean Jackson won't be in the minors too long. Go with Sappelt/.Campana for a bit until ready, sign Sweeney whom was just non-tender, he'll start until Jackson is back, then he'll be 4th OF and the Cubs will sign another player.

Maybe sign veterans Ludwick or Victorino to be a starter for a year or two until Almora/Soler are ready. Ludwick I can see and I think Victorino's price is falling. We don't hear him in the news and he would want to start, the Cubs would give him the option. Is likely? No, but you never know.

Steps:
1) Trade Soriano
2) Sign Sweeney to a 1-year contract to be starter, then 4th OF when Jackson is back up. Campana/Sappelt will be 4th OF until Sweeney is.
3)Sign a veteran like Ludwick/Victorino

schizm032003

Liked Posts:
I like the idea of trading Soriano, tho we'll miss his power/vet presence. If we move him, sign both Victorino & Ludwick. Ludwick'd provide some of the power we lose when Soriano is moved, we can guarantee him a starting job, he's a good bet to sign a 2 yr deal. Victorino'd come in & play CF/leadoff, both needs for us. I'd also give him a 2 year deal. Both add vet presence, Victorino gives us speed at the top, w/pop in his bat. He's very good defensively, he & DeJesus would provide good defense in the OF, & Ludwick shouldn't be too bad either, that leaves a hole at 3B.

I'd look at trading Soriano, Vogelbach, Barney, Marmol, & cash for Zobrist, Wade Davis, Chris Archer. They get a vet power bat & closer, Soriano & Marmol, at a cheap price w/the cash we send, a solid defensive 2b, & a power 1B prospect that in 2 yrs'd fill the void they've had at the position for yrs. We get a guy as 2B, 2 young arms w/ML experience. Go to the royals w/Garza, Jackson, & Vitters & cash for Moustakas, & Hochevar. They get a front line starter, a young CF w/speed/power, & a 3b prospect that has history of adjusting after struggles. We get a 3B w/power/defense, & a starter thats value is low, can improve in the NL.

After these deals we'll have added Baker, Feldman, Davis, Archer, Hochevar to the rotation, w/maybe Davis & Hochevar going into the pen til we trade a starter/injury occurs. Kyuji as the closer. Ludwick, & Victorino in the OF, Zobrist, & Moustakas, to the IF. We'll have improved defense, versatility, speed/power thru the order. The rotation'll be deep w/additions & Shark & Wood, giving us 7 guys that start. Trades/injuries will be covered thru the yr. Davis, Shark, Archer, Wood, & maybe Feldman could be around for a while, til the young pitching starts reaching the ML's. Hochevar could turn it around in the NL, or be a good pen arm, Davis's solid in the pen/rotation. Kyuji is the closer w/guys like Camp, Russell, Davis, Hochevar giving us some decent arms in the pen.

We will be able to play solid ball thru the yr, maybe contend for a wildcard. If we don't, we'll have alot of flippable pieces to overstock our system. Adding these guys also gives us a good core of players to go w/Rizzo, Castro, & Shark. Moustakas, Zobrist, Archer, Davis, added to the core, that we'd be developing. None of these ideas would kill payroll. Most would be on low based/prove it contracts, we can do these deals, I believe we should. It gives our youth time to develop, gives the fans a better product to watch, & gives us a chance to maybe compete while not giving us false hope, or complete dispair.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I like the idea of trading Soriano, tho we'll miss his power/vet presence. If we move him, sign both Victorino & Ludwick. Ludwick'd provide some of the power we lose when Soriano is moved, we can guarantee him a starting job, he's a good bet to sign a 2 yr deal. Victorino'd come in & play CF/leadoff, both needs for us. I'd also give him a 2 year deal. Both add vet presence, Victorino gives us speed at the top, w/pop in his bat. He's very good defensively, he & DeJesus would provide good defense in the OF, & Ludwick shouldn't be too bad either, that leaves a hole at 3B.

I'd look at trading Soriano, Vogelbach, Barney, Marmol, & cash for Zobrist, Wade Davis, Chris Archer. They get a vet power bat & closer, Soriano & Marmol, at a cheap price w/the cash we send, a solid defensive 2b, & a power 1B prospect that in 2 yrs'd fill the void they've had at the position for yrs. We get a guy as 2B, 2 young arms w/ML experience. Go to the royals w/Garza, Jackson, & Vitters & cash for Moustakas, & Hochevar. They get a front line starter, a young CF w/speed/power, & a 3b prospect that has history of adjusting after struggles. We get a 3B w/power/defense, & a starter thats value is low, can improve in the NL.

After these deals we'll have added Baker, Feldman, Davis, Archer, Hochevar to the rotation, w/maybe Davis & Hochevar going into the pen til we trade a starter/injury occurs. Kyuji as the closer. Ludwick, & Victorino in the OF, Zobrist, & Moustakas, to the IF. We'll have improved defense, versatility, speed/power thru the order. The rotation'll be deep w/additions & Shark & Wood, giving us 7 guys that start. Trades/injuries will be covered thru the yr. Davis, Shark, Archer, Wood, & maybe Feldman could be around for a while, til the young pitching starts reaching the ML's. Hochevar could turn it around in the NL, or be a good pen arm, Davis's solid in the pen/rotation. Kyuji is the closer w/guys like Camp, Russell, Davis, Hochevar giving us some decent arms in the pen.

We will be able to play solid ball thru the yr, maybe contend for a wildcard. If we don't, we'll have alot of flippable pieces to overstock our system. Adding these guys also gives us a good core of players to go w/Rizzo, Castro, & Shark. Moustakas, Zobrist, Archer, Davis, added to the core, that we'd be developing. None of these ideas would kill payroll. Most would be on low based/prove it contracts, we can do these deals, I believe we should. It gives our youth time to develop, gives the fans a better product to watch, & gives us a chance to maybe compete while not giving us false hope, or complete dispair.

Victorino's got multiple 3-yr offers and a 4-yr offer on the table...we'd probably be outbid.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Wonder if Sori would sign off on a deal to Houston. They need a LF & and DH, they're in an incredibly hitter-friendly park for Righties...but they won't contend before the Cubs will. ha.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Cardinals are chasing Tulo...FACK

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
@benmaller: Cardinals trying to trade for Rockies SS Troy Tulowitzki who signed $157.75 mil extension in Colorado back in 2010. ow.ly/fLwUn

Apparently they did...

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I find it really peculiar that the Rockies would do that deal, but that depends on what the Cards want to give up.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Heyman sez the Cubs and Phils discussed a swap. Very few details.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jayson Stark says it's a long shot, but at least the Phils almost considered it :D

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I would gladly sign up for a Dom Brown for Soriano swap with the Cubs eating all but 10 million of it.

I would too, even if Dom Brown ends up being Matt LaPorta. Might as well take a chance on the guy and see what he can become.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Too bad it might not happen unless the Cubs strongarm Philly a bit.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I doubt it does, but it does show what the market can return for Soriano. You're looking at getting guys like Brown, guys who once showed potential but never got anywhere.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights

Not all of your guys' power is gone. Remember, they still have Anthony Rizzo and that dude could become a perennial 30 HR/.350 +OBP guy.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Swisher goes to Cle, Hamilton re-signs with Tex and Rosee may be the only one that will go to the Phills. But there are still a lot of teams that need a OF. For some reason, I think Ross will stay in the AL. So, if that happens, maybe we will see a trade happen.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
BN today:

Jim Bowden reported on the radio on Friday evening (h/t CCO) that he hears that there is a deal on the table between the Cubs and Phillies involving Alfonso Soriano. He did not mention the details, but said the Phillies are waiting until Michael Bourn signs to pull the trigger. Not necessarily because the Phillies want Bourn, I’m assuming, but instead because they want to see what impact his signing has on the trade market – and, I’m guessing, if the Cubs are involved on Bourn, there’s an additional layer of intertwined-ness between the Cubs, Phillies, Bourn, and Soriano. Bowden offered only that Soriano would play left field for the Phillies and the return to the Cubs would depend on how much of his salary the Cubs ate, which, obviously. Very intriguing stuff, but a huge grain of salt is necessary – the Cubs and Phillies have made sense as Soriano trade partners for some time, but teams explore all kinds of deals. Soriano isn’t the only outfielder on the market, and he isn’t the only option for the Phillies.

Very intriguing.