All-purpose Alfonso Soriano Trade Speculation Thread

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Q about GB/FB ratio...as an outfielder it's really difficult to convert a groundball that makes it through all the way to him into an out unless he is able to record an assist, obviously. But if he's able to make it to that grounder in time he can prevent runners from advancing multiple bases. So that seems like looking at GB/FB ratio doesn't matter as much except when you take into account his arm (accuracy and strength) and his ability to actually get to the grounder without flubbing it.

Therefore the efficiency by which he can record an out is mostly centered around how many fly balls he can actually get to.

As I've said, though, Soriano simply doesn't look like a good defender out in the field, but he's at least efficient at converting outs. That seems to be the criteria 2seam is using. The Gold Glove voters probably won't look at that efficiency and will instead note that Soriano looks like crap on routes to the ball and even when he makes the catch he sometimes looks awkward doing so. The fact that it always looks so painful when he's trying to chase down a ball probably works against him too.
Tough to do on a balky knee, no?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tough to do on a balky knee, no?

Definitely, and I've made allusions to that knee numerous times. I think 2seam is focused on the flyballs converted into outs, though, and the lack of errors (just one) so far this season. I haven't watched Ryan Braun enough this season to know whether he's improved, and I also think Martin Prado switched back to 2B because Uggla sucks so hard, so if those two are in any way out of the mix it's not impossible to imagine Soriano as a Gold Glove candidate, even if some of us disagree with it.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://muskat.mlblogs.com/2012/09/13/913-sorianos-hot-streak/

Who’s providing the offense on the Cubs? It’s 36-year-old Alfonso Soriano. He has 96 RBIs, his highest single-season total in six years with the Cubs and the most since he drove in 95 in 2006 with Washington. He hit his 29th home run on Wednesday, the most since Soriano hit 29 in 2008. The veteran outfielder is one of only three players in the National League this season to thus far reach 29 home runs and 95 RBIs, joining the Reds’ Jay Bruce and the Brewers’ Ryan Braun.

On the Cubs’ 10-game road trip, Soriano was 10-for-39 with four home runs, a triple, a double, and 11 RBIs. He has 25 RBIs in his last 24 games, and was tied for fourth in the NL in home runs with Carlos Beltran, Jason Kubel, and Adam LaRoche.

Soriano’s home run Wednesday was No. 369 of his career, and he’s now tied with Ralph Kiner for 72nd on the all-time home run list.

What she doesn't talk about is the fact that Soriano's OBP is .316 and that despite the good-looking power numbers he's unfortunately not been as productive as those numbers would have us think.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
MLBTR bullets:

The Cubs will look again this offseason to move Alfonso Soriano, who is one home run and one RBI shy of his first 30-homer, 100-RBI season since 2005. If the Cubs fail to receive a sufficient offer, they could always bring back Soriano, owed $36MM over the next two years, and try to move him at the deadline again. Rosenthal cited the example of Carlos Lee of how it is easier to deal an overpriced player the closer he gets to the end of his contract.

Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com surveyed four MLB execs about B.J. Upton's free agent outlook, and their estimates varied greatly. A National League GM predicted sees a three-year, $27MM deal for Upton while the other estimates ranged from four years at $50MM to five years at $70MM. The Rangers, Nationals, Phillies, Braves, Red Sox, Yankees, Reds, Giants, and Cubs are among the teams that could be in need of outfield help this winter.

Highly doubt the Cubs go after BJ Upton at that pricetag and with the Rays likely to do the qualifying offer.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
MLBTR bullets:

Highly doubt the Cubs go after BJ Upton at that pricetag and with the Rays likely to do the qualifying offer.
There was some talk about the Cubs when it appeared like BJ Upton would be a buy low candidate, but at that pricetag the Cubs rae likely to look elsewhere. That and the OF is actually pretty full unless they can move Soriano with BJax, DeJesus, Sappelt, LaHair, and Soriano.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldnt count on this "awesome" defense to continue onto next year. Age regression + bad knees= DL at some point next year.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldnt count on this "awesome" defense to continue onto next year. Age regression + bad knees= DL at some point next year.

I doubt the Cubs are counting on it either, which is why we hope he's traded early in the offseason.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs manager Dale Sveum admitted to reporters, including the Chicago Tribune's Paul Sullivan, that Alfonso Soriano's trade value has never been higher and could be dealt this offseason. "It’s as high as it can be,” Sveum said. “Those kind of things are all (dependant ) on what you’re getting back and all those kind of things. The replacement value of that is very difficult to find."

Keep your eyes open this offseason...

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
i expect him to be traded this offseason. He basically said he wants out. I wouldnt want to be on this team either. Going to be 10+ yrs to rebuild this. Theo thinks he can just rebuild from specs and not spend in FA while having highest ticket prices in NL then he not going to get past 5 yrs of having job

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
From Nick Cafardo's column:

Cubs outfielder Alfonso Soriano would make a lot of sense for the Rays as a DH, especially since the Cubs would pick up the bulk of his final two years under contract. Soriano could also help the Blue Jays, Orioles, or Indians.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I read that article earlier and think the trade could work well.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Latest buzz on the twitters is that the Cubs are shopping Soriano and the Phillies may be involved.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the chance of Soriano being moved are higher than ever.

The OF market is weak and the player's are asking for too much. Hamilton wants 7 years 150 million plus. Bourn also wants a 100 million contract.

The Phillies are said to have interest, but that could sign Pagan.

I think he goes to the AL, so he can play DH and the OF. Rays are my favorite for him and I do expect to hear rumors nexty week involving all 3 parties (Cubs, Rays, Soriano)