All The Damn Rumours Thread

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
Just to play devil's advocate:

- His 17 games were not all on him. He was ready to go this year, but the team didn't play.
- The ND State offense has a lot of pro concepts (under center, west coast, audibles, etc...) and transitions well.
- ND State was a run first team who did will all their games in 2019. Not much of a reason to air it out.

A couple if additional thoughts:

- Sure he just played in 17 games, but never threw a pick. 288 attempts and not once had a brain fart that would have caused a turnover. That's not bad.
- His 2019 season was better than any of Carson Wentz' seasons.
- Physically he checks all the boxes. Big, strong, fast and has shown to be very efficient within a pro offense.

To be clear, I'm not a 'Lance Lover', but I see why a team would have him highly rated on their board.

ND State can do whatever they want in almost any game in FCS. Recently they have run the ball until it can be stopped, which it usually isn't, and let their defense dominate the other team. Lance never had to carry the team or rally them.

I strongly feel 2020 was going to be the Trey Lance show (showcased by NDSU) as they were going to easily dominate the FCS with the roster they had at the time. Lance's one game against Central Arkansas was not his best game and I can see why people are skeptical. I think the world was going to see a lot more of Trey Lance during the 2020 season, but Covid. The 2020 season would have really helped him grow and get better.

I could go either way on Lance regarding his pro prospects. I do know that an organization like the Bears would absolutely ruin him and guarantee that he doesn't succeed. I love Lance and the Bison, but I don't want to see get drafted by the Bears. His career will be over before it starts.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Betting line for the #3 pick has haulted/closed. There was a spike in the Lance odds before it happened, so I'm guessing there's a leak and he's the guy.
If you really think about it he was the one that made the most sense all along. Extremely talented, very coachable, high leadership intangibles but probably needs a year on the bench. I really actually like him and Mac Jones quite a bit, but there's just no doubt who has that crazy high boom potential.

This idea that Mac Jones was going to be Tom Brady because they both were pudgy and both make good reads is silly. Tom Brady is a fucking maniac who won't eat a strawberry. I don't doubt he'll be a good player but if you push in three first round picks worth of chips on Mac Jones you are dooming your franchise.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
All great points. But the fact he didn't play last season makes this too small of a sample size to risk trading 1st round picks. 17 games in the FCS with a powerhouse team around him.
All picks have risk/reward and outside of Lawrence no prospect is perfect.

If you are firm on more than 17 games, then you pass on Kyler Murray. If you only want big schools then you draft Dwayne Haskins. 2019 to itself sorta broke that rule.

SD Bears

Liked Posts:

If you are firm on more than 17 games, then you pass on Kyler Murray. If you only want big schools then you draft Dwayne Haskins. 2019 to itself sorta broke that rule.

2019 was an exceptionally poor QB draft class. And the jury is still out on Murray.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Lance is clearly over-hyped. Started 17 games in college and threw for over 200 yards only 4 times, and that was in the FCS! It would be quintessential Pace to move up and take Lance. I'm getting RGIII flashbacks.
I was kind of on that train, but the more I read the more I heard great things about his football IQ, film study and ability to read the field. That plus athletic ability is a high ceiling. I would be fine with a small move up, maybe to #12, but nothing higher. I won't mortgage the entire future, but I would move if the price is right. I agree there is always risk with his inexperience and coming from a small school, but he can still warrant a mid round 1st selection.

SD Bears

Liked Posts:
Idk about the Murray comment. He may not be a top 5 qb, but I think he's shown that his floor is pretty high at this point.

Definite flashes of brilliance but I don't see the consistency... yet.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
I'd love to come away with either Lance or Fields, but I have no confidence the Bears can move up high enough to have a realistic shot at either one of them.

I think they'll stay at 20 and draft a WR or OT and take their chances on one of the 3 lesser QB's (Mond, Mills, Trask (please, no!)) in round 2.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:

Or if you are firm on 17 games you draft Mahomes/Watson over Trubisky. I personally think its better to go for the higher floor.

With someone like Lance, I agree, he has too small of a sample size. I think the same for Zach Wilson. Its one good season for each. Who is to say both are not fluke years? And as far as Lance, literally every TD throws was to someone that was WIDE open. I dont know if he has the ability to consistently make short to intermediate throws

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Someone will come up and grab him in the midst of those three straight NFC East teams.
Idk if any of the nfc east teams will trade back. Gettleman has something against trading down, Philly already likely traded back to as far down as they might be comfortable and Jerry Jones is an idiot

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
Or if you are firm on 17 games you draft Mahomes/Watson over Trubisky. I personally think its better to go for the higher floor.

With someone like Lance, I agree, he has too small of a sample size. I think the same for Zach Wilson. Its one good season for each. Who is to say both are not fluke years? And as far as Lance, literally every TD throws was to someone that was WIDE open. I dont know if he has the ability to consistently make short to intermediate throws
I could talk myself in or out of any of these guys. I really do like Fields and think he's being overanalyzed, similar to Watson, but none of us know about any off field red flags.

I just think the Bears need to take a shot, as they are just going to continue to be a middling franchise without a franchise QB.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
I could talk myself in or out of any of these guys. I really do like Fields and think he's being overanalyzed, similar to Watson, but none of us know about any off field red flags.

I just think the Bears need to take a shot, as they are just going to continue to be a middling franchise without a franchise QB.

And if they do make a major move and move up, they will be a middling (or worse) franchise for the next 3 years because of lack of draft capital and maybe longer if the pick doesn't pan out.