Are things really that dire?

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its a good post and you are correct, I think that fans have just been disappointed since the 2018 run because our team hasn't performed up to the talent level IMO due to Nagy.

A good coach and you could easily add 2 wins to the 2019-2020 seasons and that would have been a pretty successful run with likely some playoffs wins... but that is all speculation.

Fields makes all the difference in my opinion. It makes the glass half full. The QB positon is settled, there are some position players to work with and you just have to make some good draft selections to replace some defensive players.

If Fields continues to progress and Rodgers leaves the Packers this offseason, Bears are definitely in contention to win the NFC North.
winning the NFCN is like the Sox winning the american league central, gives you something to brag about, but still only leads to a one and done

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Ok so my argument to the drafting picks though (using your example of Diggs and Johnson) is that at the end of the day the draft is ultimately a lottery. You can hedge your bets on who will turn out better but there are no guarantees who will develop quicker or better and come out on top.

Looking at college stats for Diggs and Johnson, they were incredibly similar in their final year with Johnson having better stats in years prior, which is perhaps a suggestion he’d be the better pick.

With that in mind you can argue there wasn’t much to choose between them (as reflected in their eventual picks). Diggs has just happened to develop at a quicker rate.

As for the difference makers part is it not better to have a solid roster where you can bring in a couple of difference makers, then it is to have a couple of playmakers but a dogshit roster around them?

Like I’ve stated I haven’t been around long enough to have a “fall guy” but ultimately I don’t feel that a GM should be judged so strongly on his drafting ability (good or bad) because it can ultimately be a lottery.

Surely a better judgement would be on there FA signings since they’re known commodities and you should know what you’re getting (which I believe the general consensus is that Pace shits the bed in this regard).

Just playing devils advocate here and respect everything you’ve said so far.
I think Pace’s bigger problem for most have been some of the contracts handed out. As far as the draft-you never know. I don’t blame Pace for the White pick. Most people had him around that spot. His bones are just made of glass.

Pace built a 2-3 window where with the right QB, they could’ve made a serious run. Pace just picked the wrong QB, and the wrong coach.

But if Fields is the real deal, all will be forgiven. Solving that position has been their Achilles heel, and having a franchise QB masks a lot of other issues on the roster. Get him a new coach and OL and hope pieces fall into place.

Welcome to the brotherhood. It can be a painful experience rooting for this team, but at least there’s always hope, like those guys in the movie Shawshank Redemption.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Well Johnson is a top 10 CB. That's game changing, even if he doesn't make big splash plays.

Borom if he's a good T (which for pass blocking it seems he might be, which is what you want from him), then he's game changing.

Monty and Herbert are a wonderful 1-2 punch (that Monty wildcat is nice) and they'll both be here for next season.

Cole Kmet has a connection with Fields and is kinda breaking out rn.

If ARob builds a connection with Fields over the last 7 games (he had probably his best game against PIT) you think about keeping him.

Honestly you don't need special players everywhere, just at a couple positions.

Oh really?

Midway Monsters

Liked Posts:
Exactly zero if you have a top 5 NFL QB.

You just need a great offensive line, a good scheme, and an offensive supporting cast that meshes well together.

The packers have been doing it for decades. No idea why the hell there are so many dumb NFL GM's who don't focus on line talent.
Exactly this. People are always fooled into thinking Green Bay has all this offensive talent but really they have a top 3 QB that make them look much better than they are. Then they leave Green Bay and people wonder what happened. Jordy Nelson or Randall Cobb anyone?

Packers brass know they can just keep investing in defense and Rodgers will be able to polish turds year after year, be it James Jones, Marquez Valdez or Allen Lazard. Then you put a scrub like Jordan love in and suddenly that vaunted GB offense looks like the Bears offense earlier in the year.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Nah, not really. But BE YOU!

Fields may be one. Talent is certainly there for it.

Quan is one.

Mack and Quinn are old and you're spouting the nice core to build around BS? Sure...

Johnson is good. Needs more INT's to be a true difference maker.

Monty is a good back. But not a difference maker. I mean Dallas's BACKUP RB has more yards than him. (Typical Bears fan overrating what they have)

Not sure you really know what a true difference making player is? Maybe watch more non-Bears games?
Wake up, Monty is a top 5 back in this league. Try watching some film.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The Bears have a decent young core. Not an amazing one(yet). Fields getting better every week will make the strength of the young core grow exponentially.

My guess is that we fire Nagy, and keep Pace. From there, we'll have to see what direction the new coaching staff wants to go in. But when you have a 22 year old QB that's going to start getting really good, we need to get younger. Build through the draft, and smart signings. We need to stop giving away picks, and start stockpiling them. And put more money on offense going forward. It's time for the Chicago Bears to finally get out of the 1960s and play 21st century football.

mecha

Liked Posts:
The Bears have a decent young core. Not an amazing one(yet). Fields getting better every week will make the strength of the young core grow exponentially.

My guess is that we fire Nagy, and keep Pace. From there, we'll have to see what direction the new coaching staff wants to go in. But when you have a 22 year old QB that's going to start getting really good, we need to get younger. Build through the draft, and smart signings. We need to stop giving away picks, and start stockpiling them. And put more money on offense going forward. It's time for the Chicago Bears to finally get out of the 1960s and play 21st century football.
unfortunately all the guys they have that are very good are on the wrong side of 30. they can't pull a Belichick and dump them for more picks. Pace needs to stop being so aggressive with trade-ups and trades in general.