My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
That contract is proof that NFL contracts don't actually mean anything and the salary cap is a joke. Signed a 140M contract, but Hill will see $0 of that contract beyond what he was already going to get paid in 2021.
It's not a joke. In fact it's just Accounting. Companies account for certain liabilities and assets differently then they would just looking at cash flow. This is called amortization. I hope I can do this justice, but effectively a company has an asset like a vehicle that has a useful life greater than one tax cycle (one year), so even if they paid for it up front, they allocate a portion of it's cost over it's useful life.

The salary cap is essentially the NFL's version of this accounting where they can pay a large signing bonus to attract a free agent, but they 'amortize' the cost over the useful life of the contract.

This also creates things like holdouts, where a players cap number is higher (example: $10M), but they are only getting paid $5M for that season. They only care about what they are getting paid, so they look to hold out to get paid more.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
That contract is proof that NFL contracts don't actually mean anything and the salary cap is a joke. Signed a 140M contract, but Hill will see $0 of that contract beyond what he was already going to get paid in 2021.
It makes it so they can spread out the remaining signing bonus over more years, but it still hits their cap. Just pushes more into future years.

And if they cut him next year, the rest of that bonus immediately hits their cap.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners

Montucky

Liked Posts:
If Tampa Bay has a first two picks like Tristan Wirfs and Antoine Winfield Jr. again basically good luck beating them in 2021.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
RE: Jones resigning - I hate the move. I had Dillon in a dynasty league and now he's pretty much useless. Also, looking at that team and how Superbowls winners are built I just don't get it. When was the last time a team who spent big on RB won a Superbowl? Hell, when GB last won their last two Superbowls they had the vaunted runningback combos of Brandon Jackson/John Khun/James Starks and Edgar Bennett/Dorsey Levens.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
RE: Jones resigning - I hate the move. I had Dillon in a dynasty league and now he's pretty much useless. Also, looking at that team and how Superbowls winners are built I just don't get it. When was the last time a team who spent big on RB won a Superbowl? Hell, when GB last won their last two Superbowls they had the vaunted runningback combos of Brandon Jackson/John Khun/James Starks and Edgar Bennett/Dorsey Levens.
Marshawn Lynch had a $10,000,000 cap hit the year the Seahawks won the Super Bowl. Cap was significantly smaller then too. So this is not totally without a successful precedent, though personally I agree it seems like a silly move. Their defense is soft and bad basically all over, and they have pretty mediocre receivers after Davante Adams. Runningback was a luxury item, and now they have to basically go wild in the draft to improve.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
If Tampa Bay has a first two picks like Tristan Wirfs and Antoine Winfield Jr. again basically good luck beating them in 2021.
Yeah, Imagine how good the Patriots could have been if they were actually above average at drafting? They could have been even better.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Marshawn Lynch had a $10,000,000 cap hit the year the Seahawks won the Super Bowl. Cap was significantly smaller then too. So this is not totally without a successful precedent, though personally I agree it seems like a silly move. Their defense is soft and bad basically all over, and they have pretty mediocre receivers after Davante Adams. Runningback was a luxury item, and now they have to basically go wild in the draft to improve.
They could pay a RB $10M because they were paying their franchise QB $1M. That's not the case in GB.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
It's not a joke. In fact it's just Accounting. Companies account for certain liabilities and assets differently then they would just looking at cash flow. This is called amortization. I hope I can do this justice, but effectively a company has an asset like a vehicle that has a useful life greater than one tax cycle (one year), so even if they paid for it up front, they allocate a portion of it's cost over it's useful life.

The salary cap is essentially the NFL's version of this accounting where they can pay a large signing bonus to attract a free agent, but they 'amortize' the cost over the useful life of the contract.

This also creates things like holdouts, where a players cap number is higher (example: $10M), but they are only getting paid $5M for that season. They only care about what they are getting paid, so they look to hold out to get paid more.

I am an MBA having accountant. I understand how it works. It was mostly a joke.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Remember when Anthony Barr was good? Seems like forever ago.
NFL players age like supermodels. They go from having their highest earning years to unemployed really quickly.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
That's one of those signings that seems fair but there's a good chance it works out poorly for Detroit.