Around The NHL

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
thompson to the ducks. that team is going to be hell if we get to the wcf against them.

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't want him because he's old, cost too much money, and would take away time from youth in the pipeline ready to contribute this year.

i will give you the money factor. unprovens when you are trying to win a cup is a gamble.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't want him because he's old, cost too much money, and would take away time from youth in the pipeline ready to contribute this year.

It would help if Q played the young guys more instead of catering to washed up has beens.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
The biggest problem with Spezza is his cap hit: $7 million. Granted, that's only for one more year. But with the Hawks currently having just $710,000 of cap space, you've got to free up probably $9-$10 million to accommodate him as well as pick up the backup goaltender that the Hawks have supposedly been after.

Essentially, Sharp and Oduya would probably both have to be moved. My issue with moving Sharp in this scenario is the hole that it ultimately leaves. Spezza would be out of the Hawks price range after 2014-15 (especially factoring in the Toews/Kane extensions). You'd assume Teuvo would slide into the 2C role vacated by Spezza. But then Sharp's spot in the top 6 would be open.

If Teuvo happens to develop into that 2C role during the upcoming season, Sharp isn't vacated, then your Top 6 is intact for another 3-4 years.

Another HUGE red flag for Spezza: he missed about four months in 2013 with a herniated disc in his back. I've never heard anything good about a player that's stepped back on the ice after significant back injuries.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
i will give you the money factor. unprovens when you are trying to win a cup is a gamble.

Wasn't Saad relatively unproven in 2013?

who besides zus and brunette did Q do that with?

And even so, Zus was an excellent PKer for 2 playoffs and played well in the cup run. Father time caught up with him.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

what is your point? does it happen? sure. do you gamble that every year hoping for the same thing from someone else...hell no.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

He was. But the only reason Saad got bumped up to the top line was due to an injury to Dan Carcillo, who was playing the top line over Saad.

Q always seems to have a strange fascination with one or two tough guys on his roster each year. This year is going to be quite interesting, given that he currently doesn't have one on the roster. Well, as long as Mashinter stays in Rockford, which is no sure bet.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just meant Q likes his veterans. :shrug:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
what is your point? does it happen? sure. do you gamble that every year hoping for the same thing from someone else...hell no.

It's a lot bigger gamble to have Spezza at $7M or 34 year old Thornton at $7M filling out the 2C than it is for Teuvo at $800,000 next year, especially when TT might be the better player now and in the future.

Acquiring guys with those large cap hits for years down the road will hurt them in retaining pieces like Saad, Kruger, Shaw, etc.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Kesler was a big pickup for ANA but don't sleep on that Nate Thompson acquisition. One of the better shutdown 3Cs in the NHL. Basically, what Dave Bolland was to the Hawks in the playoffs when healthy.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The biggest problem with Spezza is his cap hit: $7 million. Granted, that's only for one more year. But with the Hawks currently having just $710,000 of cap space, you've got to free up probably $9-$10 million to accommodate him as well as pick up the backup goaltender that the Hawks have supposedly been after.

Essentially, Sharp and Oduya would probably both have to be moved. My issue with moving Sharp in this scenario is the hole that it ultimately leaves. Spezza would be out of the Hawks price range after 2014-15 (especially factoring in the Toews/Kane extensions). You'd assume Teuvo would slide into the 2C role vacated by Spezza. But then Sharp's spot in the top 6 would be open.

If Teuvo happens to develop into that 2C role during the upcoming season, Sharp isn't vacated, then your Top 6 is intact for another 3-4 years.

Another HUGE red flag for Spezza: he missed about four months in 2013 with a herniated disc in his back. I've never heard anything good about a player that's stepped back on the ice after significant back injuries.

I hope this isn't because of eric daze that you are focused on this.

It has happened to kovalchuk, hossa, and quick just off the top of my head.

It's a lot bigger gamble to have Spezza at $7M or 34 year old Thornton at $7M filling out the 2C than it is for Teuvo at $800,000 next year, especially when TT might be the better player now and in the future.

Acquiring guys with those large cap hits for years down the road will hurt them in retaining pieces like Saad, Kruger, Shaw, etc.

yeah, I get numbers fisch. TT is unproven and that line will be way too small. They will get crushed. The odds for TT being the answer are a lot higher than bringing in a proven 2c with some size if you want to win the cup. There is no debate to that. Spezza or thornton give you a better chance to win the cup than TT at this current time minus the money issue which is an issue with this team.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just meant Q likes his veterans. :shrug:

There is a difference between Vets and guys who are just old that should have hung up their skates.

A true vet is sharp, hossa etc...those you have to play.

you wont win the cup with a bunch of morins and TTs skating around.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I hope this isn't because of eric daze that you are focused on this.

It has happened to kovalchuk, hossa, and quick just off the top of my head.

For every Kovalchuk and Hossa there's a Daze and a Dave Bolland and a Tomas Holmstrom. It could go one way or the other. For a $7 million cap hit, though, any injury--especially a potentially nagging one like a herniated disc--is something that's going to make me very, very cautious.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
ahhh so you have a legit reason. im curious on why your thankers who are known hawks fans wouldn't want spezza.

Im curious on why they wouldn't want a 23/43 2nd line center with some size. with a 6.4 OPS in the point shares department. also averaged a point a game. very confusing.

Spezza has size but I'd rather have a more responsible C (or at least not a puck demanding playmaker for Kane's line--as Spezza is).

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Spezza has size but I'd rather have a more responsible C (or at least not a puck demanding playmaker for Kane's line--as Spezza is).

hes a damn good playmaker though iago. i dont really know what can be done. we are fucked by the cap no matter who we disagree/agree on as far as a 2c. losing sharp would suck. tomorrow kane and toews will be a lot more richer.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
hes a damn good playmaker though iago. i dont really know what can be done. we are fucked by the cap no matter who we disagree/agree on as far as a 2c. losing sharp would suck. tomorrow kane and toews will be a lot more richer.

Yeah I'm with ya on that. Those kids will be raking in more dough. And right now we are kinda capfucked and a couple of overages (although we're not bent over like Toews's CS trophy) doesn't help.

That line already has an amazing playmaker without Spezza, one of the league's best. There's only 1 puck on the ice, though.

Maybe we ought to continue on with a carousel of 2c? Maybe Shaw continues to be a short term answer if he can continue to help make some room for Kane?

Maybe the Hawks should focus more on a 3rd or 4th line addition instead of a top six. I know it's not as sexy but maybe a much improved depth and the Hawks have the gas that gets them past the Kings.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I'm with ya on that. Those kids will be raking in more dough. And right now we are kinda capfucked and a couple of overages (although we're not bent over like Toews's CS trophy) doesn't help.

That line already has an amazing playmaker without Spezza, one of the league's best. There's only 1 puck on the ice, though.

Maybe we ought to continue on with a carousel of 2c? Maybe Shaw continues to be a short term answer if he can continue to help make some room for Kane?

Maybe the Hawks should focus more on a 3rd or 4th line addition instead of a top six. I know it's not as sexy but maybe a much improved depth and the Hawks have the gas that gets them past the Kings.

your last paragraph is perfect. that is what beat us