Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Tommy and Mike Brown weren't on the field enough under Lovie, including the Super Bowl. Adewale was not special for the Bears to my mind. Vasher was OK. The talent was goo nut not amazing overall in my opinion.

Could be why the D sucked in the SB or maybe it was because, with some exceptions, we were generally shit kickers instead of giant slayers. Are we now using generalities and specifics interchangeably?

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Could be why the D sucked in the SB or maybe it was because, with some exceptions, we were generally shit kickers instead of giant slayers. Are we now using generalities and specifics interchangeably?

I firmly believe Mike Brown and Tommy completely change that Super Bowl. And then we could see and hear a lot less Ditka.

I don't understand your last sentence.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Fuck Tommy and Mike Brown. I firmly believe if we ran the fucking ball instead of putting our fate in the hands of Bad Rex we win that game.

It always amuses me when people try to bash Lovie because of the SB as if we weren't pretty much neck and neck with one of the supposed greatest QBs of all time until Turner decided to turn the game over to Rex.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fuck Tommy and Mike Brown. I firmly believe if we ran the fucking ball instead of putting our fate in the hands of Bad Rex we win that game.

It always amuses me when people try to bash Lovie because of the SB as if we weren't pretty much neck and neck with one of the supposed greatest QBs of all time until Turner decided to turn the game over to Rex.

I agree and disagree. It's Lovie's fault because we were up 7-0 and T Jones was running all over the Colts. The coaching staff decided to put the ball in Sexpistols hands and we lost. We were built on DEF, STs and running....why stray from that

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

That Super Bowl is a tall tale at this point, it gets further from the truth with each telling. If you just read the posts around here, the Bears got blown out and Manning was laughing on the sideline by half like Aaron Rodgers.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Let's review the facts first... I think I can speak for everyone when I say we're all beyond tired of hearing the revisionist history about the "elite defenses" from Lovie's annoying zealots.

2004:
Scored 231 points (14.4/g), 32nd of 32 in the NFL. Allowed 331 points (20.7/g), 13th.

2005:
Scored 260 points (16.2/g), 26th of 32 in the NFL. Allowed 202 points (12.6/g), 1st.

2006:
Scored 427 points (26.7/g), 2nd of 32 in the NFL. Allowed 255 points (15.9/g), 3rd.

2007:
Scored 334 points (20.9/g), 18th of 32 in the NFL. Allowed 348 points (21.8/g), 16th.

2008:
Scored 375 points (23.4/g), 14th of 32 in the NFL. Allowed 350 points (21.9/g), 16th.

2009:
Scored 327 points (20.4/g), 19th of 32 in the NFL. Allowed 375 points (23.4/g), 21st.

2010:
Scored 334 points (20.9/g), 21st of 32 in the NFL. Allowed 286 points (17.9/g), 4th.

2011:
Scored 353 points (22.1/g), 17th of 32 in the NFL. Allowed 341 points (21.3/g), 14th.

2012:
Scored 375 points (23.4/g), 16th of 32 in the NFL. Allowed 277 points (17.3/g), 3rd.

Defensively, the only time Lovie's defense was "elite" was from 2005 until Mike Brown and Tommie Harris got injured in 2006. That's it. Without a stud safety like Mike Brown roaming in the middle of his secondary and a pre-injury Tommie Harris playing out of his mind at the 3-technique his defenses were nothing special. The 2010 and 2012 defenses while decent units were not "elite" as they were very dependent on turnovers. When they didn't convert them they were completely average units that were easily picked apart (See: Russell Wilson's OT coming out party or Peyton Manning's dink and dunk picking apart of his cover 2 in the SB).

Offensively, his teams were a complete joke save for 2006 (the first half of the season anyways until defenses figured out how to easily make Grossman self destruct). He didn't give 2 shit's about offense due to his Special person philosophy that you don't need the offense to actually do anything besides play field position because his defense and ST can do all the scoring. :bizarro::bizarro::bizarro::bizarro::bizarro:

In summation, I find it laughable that Lovie was given 9 seasons and allowed to go thru 7 different coordinators (OC & DCs) yet we still have delusional idiots on here that long for his "elite defenses" (even though it was only really a flash in the pan and completely dependent on stud playmakers up the middle) and think he was given a raw deal... while at the same time they want to run Trestman out of town after 2 years without giving him a chance to get some young defensive talent of his own and someone better than Tucker in here to coach them.

BOTTOM LINE......

WE MADE IT TO THE SB WITH SHYT QUARTERBACKING and Smith left here with a winning 'effing record, despite SHYT QUARTERBACKING. Now LOOK AT US.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
BOTTOM LINE......

WE MADE IT TO THE SB WITH SHYT QUARTERBACKING and Smith left here with a winning 'effing record, despite SHYT QUARTERBACKING. Now LOOK AT US.

Oh boo fucking hoo. Cry me a river. Getting lucky and making it to the Superbowl one fucking time in 9 years and pissing it away isn't worth bragging and reminiscing about like it was some amazing accomplishment.

Nobody gives a shit about the losers of Superbowls unless you're the Bills and lose 4 SB's in a row... And do you ever hear Bills fan bragging about that?!? No, of course not because losing Superbowls it not something to be proud of even if you make it there 4 straight fucking times.

And yet we have dumbass meatballs here like yourself that somehow think Lovie's '06 team choking away the SB is some epic career accomplishment we should all revere and be thankful to Lovie for giving us the experience. What a fucking joke.

Here's the bottom line:

Lovie was a good DC but a bad HC. We spent 9 years and 7 coordinators on his style of football where all the money is invested into the defense side of the ball in an attempt to win with the defense and special teams doing all the scoring while the offense plays field position and tries not to lose the game... shocker, it doesn't fucking work. Not then, and it sure as fuck isn't going to work in today's NFL. How many more years do you dumb fucks want to waste trying to duplicate 1985?!? It's not going to happen, let it go.

This franchise hasn't had a legit offensive thinker in the building since Halas evolved the T formation. We FINALLY got one in Trestman who at least understands and values the importance of the QB and offense in the modern NFL (unlike Lovie who thought of the offense as an afterthought). Yes the defense is piss poor but shit canning the entire staff is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. A whole new coaching staff isn't some guaranteed magic bullet cure all fix. The answer is Emery doing a better digging this franchise out of the talent deficit Jerry left him. He's done a decent job restocking the offensive cupboards now he needs to finish the job on the defensive side. It's on him to hit on the upcoming FA and the draft and get more talent in here.

Last edited:

casinnova

Liked Posts:
Wait, did Lovie Smith win a SuperBowl? I'm confused. Must have missed that season.

I did not read every page of this thread. Perhaps someone else pointed this out. The Halas trophy was won by Lovie at the NFC championship game in 2006. You may be confused with the Vince Lombardi trophy.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Broc - STFU, making way too much sense.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Oh boo fucking hoo. Cry me a river. Getting lucky and making it to the Superbowl one fucking time in 9 years and pissing it away isn't worth bragging and reminiscing about like it was some amazing accomplishment.

Nobody gives a shit about the losers of Superbowls unless you're the Bills and lose 4 SB's in a row... And do you ever hear Bills fan bragging about that?!? No, of course not because losing Superbowls it not something to be proud of even if you make it there 4 straight fucking times.

And yet we have dumbass meatballs here like yourself that somehow think Lovie's '06 team choking away the SB is some epic career accomplishment we should all revere and be thankful to Lovie for giving us the experience. What a fucking joke.

Here's the bottom line:

Lovie was a good DC but a bad HC. We spent 9 years and 7 coordinators on his style of football where all the money is invested into the defense side of the ball in an attempt to win with the defense and special teams doing all the scoring while the offense plays field position and tries not to lose the game... shocker, it doesn't fucking work. Not then, and it sure as fuck isn't going to work in today's NFL. How many more years do you dumb fucks want to waste trying to duplicate 1985?!? It's not going to happen, let it go.

This franchise hasn't had a legit offensive thinker in the building since Halas evolved the T formation. We FINALLY got one in Trestman who at least understands and values the importance of the QB and offense in the modern NFL (unlike Lovie who thought of the offense as an afterthought). Yes the defense is piss poor but shit canning the entire staff is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. A whole new coaching staff isn't some guaranteed magic bullet cure all fix. The answer is Emery doing a better digging this franchise out of the talent deficit Jerry left him. He's done a decent job restocking the offensive cupboards now he needs to finish the job on the defensive side. It's on him to hit on the upcoming FA and the draft and get more talent in here.

What YOU and other MEATHEADS want to AVOID is the fact that a team needs a legit Qb. Smith NEVER had one, YET he made it to the SB without one. That's a coaching feat all and of itself. You know WHY we had to play "field position"...cuz we had a shyt QB situation that couldn't be trusted.
Only a marginal to NON-Bear fan would scoff at the '85 team. It remains one of the greatest Bear achievements and if we could 'reproduce' any close to that team, we're in the playoff hunt every year.

This franchise hasn't had a legit offensive thinker in the building since Halas evolved the T formation. We FINALLY got one in Trestman who at least understands and values the importance of the QB and offense in the modern NFL (unlike Lovie who thought of the offense as an afterthought). Yes the defense is piss poor but shit canning the entire staff is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. A whole new coaching staff isn't some guaranteed magic bullet cure all fix. The answer is Emery doing a better digging this franchise out of the talent deficit Jerry left him. He's done a decent job restocking the offensive cupboards now he needs to finish the job on the defensive side. It's on him to hit on the upcoming FA and the draft and get more talent in here

Ok, this silly, you comparing Tress with a guy who helped define the NFL. Stop it. If Tress "understands" qb so much, why is jay such a phuch up? But you know what I want fault Tress to much for jay, cuz he's not a coach-able Qb. And, if Tress keeps going with him he's gonna be jay's next victim in a long list of
"deceased coach's"

What Smith did was turn the ball over to his offensive staff and let them run with it ( thats the ideal situation for a offensive coach).
Problem is .....AGAIN, Smith never has a legit Qb to run the Bear "O". He really doesn't have one now ( in Tampa) Last time his "D" had a LEGIT QB (with the RAMS)......Smith was a SB winner.

Here's your wrap up pal. Typically, again, I say typically, a team needs a good Qb to get to the playoffs and ultimately win a SB. We haven't had one in years and we still don't have one. We will NOT win anything without a good Qb, regardless of the " personnel maneuvers" we make. That's pretty much been proven

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:

Here's the bottom line:

I was omw in here to type this post now I can just copy it ty sir.

I would add though if I was gm id be talking with trestman and informing him im throwing out the defensive coaching staff and im gonna find either A a proven solid d coordinator or B im gonna goto the college ranks and hire the most promising defensive minded coach there and bring them in.
simple fact is imo the defensive staff is not getting it done coaching wise there are way too many miscues and poor tackling and fundamentals that points to a serious coaching issue

Last edited:

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
LOL lovie sucked here and he sucks now in Tampa. Stop making him seem better than what he is.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Here's the bottom line:

and if we were in the AFC that year, we likely don't make get knocked out before the championship game. NFC was really down in 06.

I'm not of the opinion that Lovie sucks. I think he's a VG coach with some limitations. Most have some but his inability to overcome those same limitations repeatedly was his downfall here. I hope he hooks up with a good OC by chance and does well.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
and if we were in the AFC that year, we likely don't make get knocked out before the championship game. NFC was really down in 06.

I'm not of the opinion that Lovie sucks. I think he's a VG coach with some limitations. Most have some but his inability to overcome those same limitations repeatedly was his downfall here. I hope he hooks up with a good OC by chance and does well.

He is repeating the same mistakes in Tampa with a little improvement. Patchwork OL, college HC as his OC which isn't getting the job done, poor offense, bad challenges, and wasted timeouts. He did however go offensive heavy in the draft which means he at least knows why he failed up here

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
True but like our team, it's a transition phase limited to what coaches were available. I tend to give it a little transition time before I decide it's over. In our case, I just hate Tucker and he's got to go but the bigger issue is the regression of the O. If we can't adjust to how D's have adjusted to us, it will be a long year and a short stay for Marc. Don't get me wrong, the D is our bigger issue but the O has the HC's sig on it.

It's early for Lovie. Yes the challenge flag and in game adjustments things will continue to be issues but if he gets a good OC and personnel, they will be minor in the grand scheme. He players have always been ready to go on game day.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
True but like our team, it's a transition phase limited to what coaches were available. I tend to give it a little transition time before I decide it's over. In our case, I just hate Tucker and he's got to go but the bigger issue is the regression of the O. If we can't adjust to how D's have adjusted to us, it will be a long year and a short stay for Marc. Don't get me wrong, the D is our bigger issue but the O has the HC's sig on it.

It's early for Lovie. Yes the challenge flag and in game adjustments things will continue to be issues but if he gets a good OC and personnel, they will be minor in the grand scheme. He players have always been ready to go on game day.

Problem with Lovie is that he has yet to show that he is capable of getting a good OC and disagree on the players being ready to go on gameday. Tampa has been blownout more times than us so far and by bad teams at that

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is repeating the same mistakes in Tampa with a little improvement. Patchwork OL, college HC as his OC which isn't getting the job done, poor offense, bad challenges, and wasted timeouts. He did however go offensive heavy in the draft which means he at least knows why he failed up here
His OC has been out sick some preseason so it's premature to judge his work.

Lovie always drafted and spent on O. The players just weren't good. 6 first rounders were offensive.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

The challenges are less important now with automatic challenges on TO and Scores.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Guys wanting to play well and being put in position to, or being able to, are very different things. Lovie will dump those that he's not happy with before next year. It's all new down there this year. It's not like he knocked anyone's socks off here his 1st year either. I don't get this all good/all bad internet mentality. Lovie and Trestman both have their assets. Their overall goodness will come from how they address their failings which doesn't happen overnight. Same is true of Emery. He should do better in his next choice of DC or HC. The D assistants have certainly been well and quickly addressed after seeing his error. He's not one to jump before he sees the water.

It was time to move on from Lovie but that doesn't make him a bad HC. He had too much control and that may be a downfall in TB as well. I think he'd work better under a GM that he got along with but had final say on acquisitions and coaches.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
What YOU and other MEATHEADS want to AVOID is the fact that a team needs a legit Qb. Smith NEVER had one, YET he made it to the SB without one. That's a coaching feat all and of itself. You know WHY we had to play "field position"...cuz we had a shyt QB situation that couldn't be trusted.

LOL coaching feat!?!! Holy shit you're fucking delusional and clueless on this teams history.

Lovie has no one to blame but himself for never having a QB. He had the perfect opportunity after the unforgettable Grossman, Quinn, Krenzel, Hutch, QB clusterfuck of 2004 to address the position. Any rational human being would of realized putting all the eggs in the Rex Glassman basket without a legit backup wasn't a smart idea after that shitshow 2004 season. But not Lovie "we get off the bus running" Smith. Oh no, instead we have to waste the 1st rounder to get a fucking backup running back Cedric Bumson even though they were already are set at the position with Thomas Jones who ended up running for 1,335 yards in 2005. Great decision Lovie and Jerry! :bizarro::bizarro::bizarro::bizarro:

They could of traded down and taken Aaron Rodgers. Just let that sink in a minute.

That 2005 draft altered the course of both GB and CHI irrevocably. Green Bay already had Brett fucking Farve and they deemed it wise to draft a quality backup to groom and develop for the future. Meanwhile dumbass Lovie and Jerry however wanted to get off the bus running and deemed it wise to put all their eggs on Rex and his balsa wood legs. Great decision guys! :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Only a marginal to NON-Bear fan would scoff at the '85 team. It remains one of the greatest Bear achievements and if we could 'reproduce' any close to that team, we're in the playoff hunt every year.

Oh shut the fuck up. Nobody is scoffing at the '85 team, I'm scoffing at the way you meatballs refuse to let it go and continually want to recreate that type of team. It was 29 fucking years ago for christ sake. Does any other fanbase obsess over a team from 3 decades ago?!? No, because it's Special person. Sorry but I don't want to see the Bears act like it's still 1985 and build a defensive sided team. BALANCED teams that can score with their offense win in today's NFL.

Ok, this silly, you comparing Tress with a guy who helped define the NFL.

Learn to read fucktard. I wasn't comparing Trestman with Halas, I was highlighting the fact that it's been 52 years since the Bears have had a legit offensive mind in the building (because Ditka doesn't really count as an "offensive mind"). I'm beyond tired of the meatball mindset that the only way for Chicago to have success is for some defensive minded coach to build a defensive focused team, with the offense a distant afterthought. I was highlighting the fact that at least Trestman understands the value of the QB and offense in today's NFL and that it would be fucking stupid to scapegoat him after 2 years when the obvious answer is to get him a better DC, and for Emery to draft more talented defensive players and a better QB.

Here's your wrap up pal. Typically, again, I say typically, a team needs a good Qb to get to the playoffs and ultimately win a SB. We haven't had one in years and we still don't have one. We will NOT win anything without a good Qb, regardless of the " personnel maneuvers" we make. That's pretty much been proven

No fucking shit sherlock. We need a good QB to win a SB?!? You don't say!!
:dontsay:
I have no emotional attachment to any player other than Walter Payton. I'll have no problems waving goodbye to Cutler the moment someone better is on the roster. I'm all for Emery drafting a guy like Hundley this year... but thanks for stating the obvious that teams need a good QB to win a SB.