Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
completely updated

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't pretend to watch a ton of college football, Ogletree looks awfully small for a linebacker. What's his future in the NFL? What position?

Ogeltree is a S converted to LB. I'm not sure exactly where to project him to, but he is an instinctive LB and athletic.

I don't watch a ton of college either but this is one analysis of him.

Ogletree lined up for Georgia at inside linebacker last season but his lengthy frame, athleticism and experience in coverage could make him even more highly regarded by pro scouts as an outside linebacker. Ogletree has the long arms scouts like from linebackers. He'll need to show greater strength in disengaging from blockers but was remarkably successful in this regard considering his inexperience at the position.

Ogletree pursues with passion and has good vision and balance to keep his feet. He's also a terrific special teams player whose ball skills were demonstrated when he leapt high to snatch an onside kick early against LSU in the SEC Championship game. Make no mistake about it Jarvis Jones is the preeminent pass rusher in the SEC and this team's most bankable star on the defensive side of the ball, but Ogletree is an exciting prospect in his own right who, if he builds upon the success he tasted last season, could be in line for a high draft selection, himself.

--Rob Rang

BearsMod1

Liked Posts:
Out of curiosity, do you view WR as a bigger need than OT/OG/OC, LB, Defensive Secondary?

I mean, I feel like i'm willingly running into a brick wall over and over, but who do you think we can get that will be an immediate playmaker @ WR?

WR is second biggest need after OT/OG/OC (whichever we grab in 1st rd)

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't pretend to watch a ton of college football, Ogletree looks awfully small for a linebacker. What's his future in the NFL? What position?

Who do you think will be available in the 2nd round that would be a significant player in the next 2 years?

Go here, and give me an idea of who you're thinking: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2013/WR

I'm not dismissing the idea, just trying to understand your rationale.

We should get Jordan Matthews at all costs. It's freakin Jerry Rice's cousin for god's sake.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
We should get Jordan Matthews at all costs. It's freakin Jerry Rice's cousin for god's sake.

If we were going to go the WR route, I'd love Robert Woods out of USC -- but he could be gone by our 1ST pick...let alone the 2nd round.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
If we were going to go the WR route, I'd love Robert Woods out of USC -- but he could be gone by our 1ST pick...let alone the 2nd round.

Doesn't seem to be a very deep WR class this year.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Looked at the WalterFootball mock for the Bears -- disagree with a LB in the first round. Still hope they go lineman-lineman or sneak a tight end in there.

BearsMod1

Liked Posts:
Who do you think will be available in the 2nd round that would be a significant player in the next 2 years?

Go here, and give me an idea of who you're thinking: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2013/WR

I'm not dismissing the idea, just trying to understand your rationale.

Quinton Patton from Louisiana Tech

and how is a LB going to come in and help right away? We got Briggs, re-sign Lach (HoF player), and roach on the side.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Quinton Patton from Louisiana Tech

and how is a LB going to come in and help right away? We got Briggs, re-sign Lach (HoF player), and roach on the side.

Briggs is getting up there in age, but is having a great season...
Lach is old man. I hate it. His instincts are still good, but he doesn't have the health, speed or stamina he once did.
Roach is a FA after this season.

I don't know much about Patton...he seems to have a bad combo of small-frame, mid-level speed...but I'll look some stuff up on him.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Robert Woods would be awesome if he slipped to the second. Kenny Stills might be good as well. Still don't think I would draft a WR early in this draft. Seems like that would be much easier to get as a FA.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Robert Woods would be awesome if he slipped to the second. Kenny Stills might be good as well. Still don't think I would draft a WR early in this draft. Seems like that would be much easier to get as a FA.

I guess this was the point I was trying to make, and you just did it better. The production we can get from a 2nd/3rd round WR would likely be matched by that of a cheap FA...however the difference in cost for the same production for an OT is significantly larger.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You have to figure that Marshall and Jeffery will be one and two next year. I would assume Bennett would be back as well, who knows whats gonna happen with Knox. So really we would be looking for a slot or 3rd receiver. With all the other needs on this team, I would not use a 1 or 2 on that position. Same goes for TE. As much as I like Eifert, I cant see going anything other than OL in 1. And if we do DL in round 1 I might break my computer.

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
You have to figure that Marshall and Jeffery will be one and two next year. I would assume Bennett would be back as well, who knows whats gonna happen with Knox. So really we would be looking for a slot or 3rd receiver. With all the other needs on this team, I would not use a 1 or 2 on that position. Same goes for TE. As much as I like Eifert, I cant see going anything other than OL in 1. And if we do DL in round 1 I might break my computer.

This. So much this. I don't feel like Eifert is significantly enough better than an offensive lineman that they would pick him over anyone else. The OL board would have to be pretty empty to pick him IMO. Emery isn't a big free agency guy, but i think he's gonna go out and sign a youngish, less popular TE like a Delanie Walker or a Brandon Myers, and maybe even not draft any. It seems like some people are expecting to find an Aaron Hernandez in the draft or free agency, but it's just not gonna happen. Same with the OL. Emery isn't gonna go bid on Long or Clady because they'd kill the cap space. He'll probably sign another Chilo Rachal type player who will come in as a backup, and compete for a starting job.

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
I don't get the "need" for a WR. Brandon Marshall already has the best stats of any season in his career, and he has 2 more games left. Jeffery has been pretty decent considering the number of games played and the fact that he's a rookie. Here's how they stack up:

Marshall (Among all WRs)
2nd in Yards
T-3rd in TDs
1st in Rec
2nd in YPG

Jeffery (Among Rookies)
10th in yds
T-5th in TDs
11th in rec
8th in YPG

Every player ahead of him has played in 2 or more games more than he has. If he had played in every game, at the same pace, here are what his stats would look like, and where that ranks among rookies:

33 rec
448 yards
5TDs
32 YPG

T-6th in Rec
7th in yards
T-2nd in TDs
8th in YPG

It is also important to note that many of the rookies ahead of him have twice the number of starts he has, and thus more playing time and better stats. The only main exception to that is T.Y. Hilton, a 3rd round pick who hasn't started a game, but is putting up big numbers.

As for the rest of the receivers, Bennett has been struggling mightily, and Hester's been Hester. So as Willis said, we'd really only be looking for a 3rd or 4th receiver. A WR in the 1st or 2nd round would be a waste and would impede Jeffery's development. Getting Knox back would be great, but he really should retire. He's lucky to be able to walk. The team is clearly missing his deep threat ability, and there are some decent later-round prospects who can fit that role such as Tevin Reese, Kenny Stills, and my preference Chad Bumphis.

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
So the last post prompted me to take a look at the college players who lead the league in Yards per Reception this season, to see who would be deep threat WR targets. Here is the list:

Receiving Yards Per Reception

1. Willis Wright (FLINT)* 25.3
2. Tavarres King (GA) 21.7
3. Robert Herron (WY)* 21.2
4. Devin Smith (OHST)** 20.6
5. Blake Jackson (OKST)* 20.2
6. Titus Davis (CMI)** 20.0
7. Roy Roundtree (MI) 19.8
8. A.J. Barker (MN)* 19.2
9. Jordan Leslie (TXEP)** 19.1
10. Marcus Davis (VATECH) 19.0
11. Corey Fuller (VATECH) 18.8
12. Devante Parker (LOU)** 18.7
13. Terrance Williams (BAY) 18.6
14. [TE]Clive Walford (MIAFL)** 18.0
15. Brelan Chancellor (NTX)* 18.0
16. Rannell Hall (UCF)** 18.0
17. L'Damian Washington (MO)* 17.7
18. Deandre Hopkins (CLEM) 17.6
19. Brandin Cooks (ORST)** 17.5
20. Kenny Bell (NE)** 17.5

* Not a senior

Tavarres King is projected for rounds 5-7.
Roy Roundtree is projected for 7th round/Undrafted Free Agent.
Marcus Davis is projected for a variety of rounds ranging from 2-6.
Corey Fuller. I can't find a projected round for him, so I'd assume UDFA
Terrance Williams is projected for the late 1st round.
DeAndre Hopkins is projected for the late 1st/early 2nd round range.

Tavarres King is the most ideal IMO. 2nd in CFB in YPR and projected in the late rounds. Fits the Bears criteria perfectly.

Reactions: X

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So the last post prompted me to take a look at the college players who lead the league in Yards per Reception this season, to see who would be deep threat WR targets. Here is the list:

Receiving Yards Per Reception

1. Willis Wright (FLINT)* 25.3
2. Tavarres King (GA) 21.7
3. Robert Herron (WY)* 21.2
4. Devin Smith (OHST)** 20.6
5. Blake Jackson (OKST)* 20.2
6. Titus Davis (CMI)** 20.0
7. Roy Roundtree (MI) 19.8
8. A.J. Barker (MN)* 19.2
9. Jordan Leslie (TXEP)** 19.1
10. Marcus Davis (VATECH) 19.0
11. Corey Fuller (VATECH) 18.8
12. Devante Parker (LOU)** 18.7
13. Terrance Williams (BAY) 18.6
14. [TE]Clive Walford (MIAFL)** 18.0
15. Brelan Chancellor (NTX)* 18.0
16. Rannell Hall (UCF)** 18.0
17. L'Damian Washington (MO)* 17.7
18. Deandre Hopkins (CLEM) 17.6
19. Brandin Cooks (ORST)** 17.5
20. Kenny Bell (NE)** 17.5

* Not a senior

Tavarres King is projected for rounds 5-7.
Roy Roundtree is projected for 7th round/Undrafted Free Agent.
Marcus Davis is projected for a variety of rounds ranging from 2-6.
Corey Fuller. I can't find a projected round for him, so I'd assume UDFA
Terrance Williams is projected for the late 1st round.
DeAndre Hopkins is projected for the late 1st/early 2nd round range.

Tavarres King is the most ideal IMO. 2nd in CFB in YPR and projected in the late rounds. Fits the Bears criteria perfectly.

I don't know much about any of those receivers. I agree though that if we do go WR in the draft, a later round pick would be the right way to go. Kenny Bell out of Nebraska I really like, but he is a sophmore.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
This. So much this. I don't feel like Eifert is significantly enough better than an offensive lineman that they would pick him over anyone else. The OL board would have to be pretty empty to pick him IMO. Emery isn't a big free agency guy, but i think he's gonna go out and sign a youngish, less popular TE like a Delanie Walker or a Brandon Myers, and maybe even not draft any. It seems like some people are expecting to find an Aaron Hernandez in the draft or free agency, but it's just not gonna happen. Same with the OL. Emery isn't gonna go bid on Long or Clady because they'd kill the cap space. He'll probably sign another Chilo Rachal type player who will come in as a backup, and compete for a starting job.

IMO, we need to significantly upgrade either OL or TE through FA, and do the other through the draft.

The FA TE class is deep this year (Fasano, Bennett, Keller, Cook, Gonzalez, Davis, etc), so it makes sense to me to go in an attempt to get a guy like Keller or Bennett to me...and address OL in the draft. :shrug:

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
IMO, we need to significantly upgrade either OL or TE through FA, and do the other through the draft.

The FA TE class is deep this year (Fasano, Bennett, Keller, Cook, Gonzalez, Davis, etc), so it makes sense to me to go in an attempt to get a guy like Keller or Bennett to me...and address OL in the draft. :shrug:

Is that Martellus Bennett? If so I would go him or Delanie Walker definitely. I think Walker could be a very good TE, just hasn't had a chance being behind Vernon Davis.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Is that Martellus Bennett? If so I would go him or Delanie Walker definitely. I think Walker could be a very good TE, just hasn't had a chance being behind Vernon Davis.

Yeah, but I expect Bennett and Cook to both get pretty good deals. I'd be happy w/ Walker. I tend to think Keller is the most likely...though I'm not sure why.