Bears actively passed on the best player in the draft.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
I gotta be honest. I think the Bears are going to regret passing up on a HoF mauler for a good tackle.

I was a little surprised to see the Bears actively pass up on Carter. Then again, why would Poles pass on Pickens with 2 second round picks because of character concerns, to then pick Carter top 10 the next year?
Eight other teams passed on Carter, give it a break...FYI, you know nothing.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Saw an article from Florio on Carter today that talked about how Carter's own coaches at Georgia did not have many good things to say about him and his work ethic. I still hate passing up on a talent like that, but reading that does make me feel a little better about the situation. If his own coaches can't even muster up some good things to say about him, that is pretty damming. He must be a pain in the ass.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Oh I don't disagree at all that his character concerns are why he fell. If he didn't have those concerns I'm not sure the Bears even deal out of first overall.

But ultimately despite the risk he strikes me as one of three non-quarterbacks in this class who really screamed out as big time impact players. It was him, Bijan Robinson and Devon Witherspoon. At some point you got to just to take the risk, especially if your alternative was drafting Jamyr fucking Gibbs or an injured Tyree Wilson.

This is where I'll give Ryan Poles some credit. If you're going to pass on Jalen Carter's potential, which I'm not sure I agree with doing but what's done is done, you better do it to address a position like right tackle. Their evaluation on Darnell Wright could still be wrong, but I'm a lot happier with him right now than basically all the non-Jalen Carter alternatives at tenth overall.

I will say the Bears could've probably moved further down and gotten a good return on that ninth overall pick.
Yes they could have moved down but then missed out on their guy and also missed out on any of the top OT’s.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It is also probably the first time since you have been alive that the Bears actually have a QB.

The last time a Bears quarterback gave me anything to smile about was Jay Cutler. Probably the most polarizing one we have had. I still think to this day if we had given him an offensive line worth a shit he would have been something for us. But oh well, will never get to know.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Yes they could have moved down but then missed out on their guy and also missed out on any of the top OT’s.
You only do it if you're happy with Broderick Jones or skipping the offensive tackle position all together and taking Calijah Kancey or Jaxon Smith-Njigba. I would have to imagine Tennessee would've been at least a threat to take Darnell Wright with the next pick.

This is honestly the best move Ryan Poles has made since trading Roquan Smith. But even then it comes with a caveat for what might've been.

Quik_7_Devin

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The issue for me is Bears failed at showing enough (fake) interest in Carter. Yes there were a couple reports saying CHI would take Jalen if he fell, but it wasn't enough to scare PHI into upping the ante.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
Oh I don't disagree at all that his character concerns are why he fell. If he didn't have those concerns I'm not sure the Bears even deal out of first overall.

But ultimately despite the risk he strikes me as one of three non-quarterbacks in this class who really screamed out as big time impact players. It was him, Bijan Robinson and Devon Witherspoon. At some point you got to just to take the risk, especially if your alternative was drafting Jamyr fucking Gibbs or an injured Tyree Wilson.

This is where I'll give Ryan Poles some credit. If you're going to pass on Jalen Carter's potential, which I'm not sure I agree with doing but what's done is done, you better do it to address a position like right tackle. Their evaluation on Darnell Wright could still be wrong, but I'm a lot happier with him right now than basically all the non-Jalen Carter alternatives at tenth overall.

I will say the Bears could've probably moved further down and gotten a good return on that ninth overall pick.
I wondered if they had offers to move down more than 1, but I think Poles was concerned about when the run on OTs would happen. It appears that moving down 1 was likely the right call because much further down with Wright, Skoronski and Jones all going in the next 5 picks. Either Poles started the run or felt it coming and decided to move rather than gamble on picking up more picks.

coolio

Liked Posts:
The only reason I don’t mind bears passing on Carter is he looked heavy even at the draft

Toast88

Liked Posts:
As an aside, did you go to the draft event and, if so, did you meet any Bear fans and what were their thoughts on Wright?
I was at a private draft party about a block away. Heck of a setup down there! I think KC should be proud of what they’ve put together—Lots of fun stuff for people of all ages.

Where I was, there was only one other Bears fan, but he (and others there) weren’t excited by the pick, but generally liked it because the Bears are now addressing surrounding Fields with protection and weapons. I agree, but if Wright ends up a good RT and Carter ends up being transcendent, you’re going to regret that pick. Doesn’t mean I don’t like Wright—just being real.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I agree, but if Wright ends up a good RT and Carter ends up being transcendent, you’re going to regret that pick. Doesn’t mean I don’t like Wright—just being real.

What if Carter ends up dead in a car crash after he spends his signing bonus on more race car stuff? What if Carter ends up in prison for killing someone racing? What if Carter ends up fat and unwilling to show up to workouts? What if Wright ends up being transcendent? What if pigs fly?

Odd thing about playing "what if" is you can put anything after it and if you believe "what if" has any bearing on reality you're not being real.

"What if" is anxiety self-talk. Avoid that shit.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Part of the disappointment is that I feel we moved out of premium selections.

Look at 6 thru 9, PJJ,/Tyree/Bijan/Carter all came off the board. That is a ton of talent. I feel at 10, other than maybe Christian Gonzalez, we had run dry on blue chippers.

And coming from #1, you just have to get blue chip talent.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The issue for me is Bears failed at showing enough (fake) interest in Carter. Yes there were a couple reports saying CHI would take Jalen if he fell, but it wasn't enough to scare PHI into upping the ante.
Don't think you can fake a team into thinking you'll take a guy if they offer you a 4th rounder but not if they'll offer you a 3rd. If they really wanted Carter, they would have taken him.

It was about what other teams might trade up.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

This is dumb.

If you're even contacting Philly about a trade down, they already know you dont want to pick him

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I have a feeling Nolan smith will be one of the best defenders in the league at some point and Micah Hyde type guy! 4.39 speed??? He can catch fields!!!
Micah Hyde???

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Micah Hyde is a baller though
I think he meant Parsons. Also, never understood why the Packers let him go and the Bears never even tried to get him. I guess I didn’t watch him play enough

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think you answered your own question. As much as Claypool has character concerns, he isn’t as big as a basket case as those 2. Pickens fought a guy in a wheelchair. True story. Doesn’t mean either (Carter or Pickens) can’t be great. But wasting the 32nd pick on Claypool is a massive mistake.
Tell me about about this wheelchair fight please.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
i was watching a Steelers game last year and one of the announcers...possibly Romo said something like...."let's be honest here, Claypool is basically a smaller TE"

How many TE's run a 4.42 40?

Fast TE or big WR? Who fucking cares what you call him, he is big and fast, so I will call him good and potentially great.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
How many TE's run a 4.42 40?

Fast TE or big WR? Who fucking cares what you call him, he is big and fast, so I will call him good and potentially great.
What good is Claypools size if he doesn't use it to his advantage? Too many jump balls trying to be caught with his elbows in his waist. I DONT THINK HE IS CHICAGO TOUGH FOR THE HIGHPOINT CATCH