Bears actively passed on the best player in the draft.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The way the draft fell I wanted Carter or Wright in that order. When the trade came in and Carter was selected I was a little bummed but understood why they passed.

Wright may end up being the best T in this class. He’s certainly the most pro ready. He has the size, length, athleticism, and nastiness Poles covets in his OL. Just so happens he plays on the right side which is why he was available at 10.

People talk about risers and fallers like it means something. It doesn’t. Wright, PJJ, Jones, etc.. were always highly rated prospects by the actual teams. Risers and fallers happen when the media catches up.

As for the trade… the Eagles did their homework too and knew if the Bears wanted Wright they couldn’t go past 10. Tenn also has big needs on the OL and they would’ve almost assuredly taken Wright had the Bears moved down lower than 11. So Philly had the leverage.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
That same could be said for the “can’t miss prospect”.

Carter is a kid and still learning. Just like all of us when we were 21 years old.

You take the BPA. Carter was gift wrapped to the Bears and they turned it over to the best team in the NFC for peanuts
Was he the BPA? How does definitively determine that?

Reactions: Myk

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
There was allot you needed to ignore to draft Carter. At the end of the day if you’re honest about where the bears are currently they don’t have the leadership to get the most out of him. It’s just not there yet. Maybe in two years they can roll the dice on flaky players

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The way the draft fell I wanted Carter or Wright in that order. When the trade came in and Carter was selected I was a little bummed but understood why they passed.

Wright may end up being the best T in this class. He’s certainly the most pro ready. He has the size, length, athleticism, and nastiness Poles covets in his OL. Just so happens he plays on the right side which is why he was available at 10.

People talk about risers and fallers like it means something. It doesn’t. Wright, PJJ, Jones, etc.. were always highly rated prospects by the actual teams. Risers and fallers happen when the media catches up.

As for the trade… the Eagles did their homework too and knew if the Bears wanted Wright they couldn’t go past 10. Tenn also has big needs on the OL and they would’ve almost assuredly taken Wright had the Bears moved down lower than 11. So Philly had the leverage.
Tennessee beat writers have confirmed they wanted Wright. Bears wanted PJJ but the Lions done did fucked that up

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
Eagles are the ideal landing spot for him. Superbowl caliber team with strong vets to keep him in line and motivate him. Teams still building like us aren't nearly as likely to take the risk, hence every team other team in the top 10 passing on him.
As much as I like Carter's pure talent, I think Chicago would have been a bigger ask of him. He would've needed to step in and help lead the defense year 1 as well as mentor the Dline as a rookie and I just don't know that he is ready for that given the red flags he had. Eagles have a veteran line for him to step into and he doesn't have to lead the entire defense. I hope we don't regret not picking up Carter long term, but I can't fault Poles for looking at the larger picture and realizing that bringing in Carter with his red flags that might just not fit with the current environment and setting at Halas Hall.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Poles turned the first pick in this draft into

Darnell Wright
DJ Moore
A 1st rd pick in 24
A 4th rd pick in 24
A 2nd rd pick in 25

And you call that mediocre ?

Obviously, if you want to see idiocy in action you've got to come to this site. The clear thinking minds are few and far between. Best to avoid this place ...
You're missing the late second the Bears got from Carolina, but yes even with that pick thrown in its mediocre.

DJ Moore is good, Darnell Wright is a fine selection probably, but neither of them are really game changing talents capable of making the big swing plays that turn games. Where's the elite talent? A number two receiver and a right tackle are fine, and I'm at least happy the Bears are doing something about the tackle position, but its not moving the needle much. The team is still built like shit.

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
While I understand that Jalen Carter was RIGHT THERE, we as fans don’t have the luxury of interviewing him, his friends, his family, or his coaches to know where his head is at.

That’s coming from someone who wanted Jalen Carter and didn’t view the speeding as a serious issue ( in the same realm as drug use or violent behavior).

I do believe the Eagles are a perfect environment for him to be successful, with former teammates already on the roster, veterans like Fletcher Coz, and a team that’s ready to compete from day 1.

Ian Cunningham and Ryan Poles were both former offensive lineman. If they both believe Darnell Wright is the BEST tackle in the draft, there really isn’t anything to complain about. Plus, there are still a few DTs available that would be excellent fits. The same can’t be said about the offensive line.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its one thing if you don't believe in Jalen Carter, its another if you don't believe in your own organization. The sad part I mostly agree with this sentiment, which means the writing is already on the wall for this coach and this general manager.
They would never make it in the sticks anyway!

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
When the Raiders pass on a guy like Carter, that should tell you something...

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
one of you idiots called the score this morning bitching about the pick because the player didn’t actually attend the draft…

• Haha
Reactions: Myk

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I gotta be honest. I think the Bears are going to regret passing up on a HoF mauler for a good tackle.

I was a little surprised to see the Bears actively pass up on Carter. Then again, why would Poles pass on Pickens with 2 second round picks because of character concerns, to then pick Carter top 10 the next year?
As an aside, did you go to the draft event and, if so, did you meet any Bear fans and what were their thoughts on Wright?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I think you answered your own question. As much as Claypool has character concerns, he isn’t as big as a basket case as those 2. Pickens fought a guy in a wheelchair. True story. Doesn’t mean either (Carter or Pickens) can’t be great. But wasting the 32nd pick on Claypool is a massive mistake.
Did Pickens at least win?

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Can anyone name me even one Georgia defender that was a teammate of Carter that did anything in the NFL last year. Alot of great athletes but will any of them ever develop at the NFL level. That alone would be a red flag for drafting Carter. Then you add in the offseason troubles, and it was an easy pass for nine of the top ten teams drafting this year.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As long as I've been alive the Bears have never made it a point of emphasis to build a stout offensive line top to bottom for their quarterback. You guys already know the results that has generated irrespective of who is under center. Having said that I'm fine with Poles solidifying the offensive line for once in my lifetime and seeing how the team progresses that way.