Bears actively passed on the best player in the draft.

Freddie Mitchell

The bears cause me misery
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Ohio Bobcats
What if the best player in the draft hates playing in Chicago and decides to do some more street racing and gets arrested again. Or what if he shows up to camp 30 pounds overweight like he did his pro day??

Freddie Mitchell

The bears cause me misery
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Ohio Bobcats
I just heard that PHI didn't bring in Carter for a visit? Assume they met with him sometime? Not at combine right?

Very interesting if they never did meet with him.

Also note that Carter will be with 3 other Georgia defenders in PHI. Good landing place for him.

also, poor Montgomery. DET = ?
I think Philly was one of the best spots for him. Winning cures all, and he now can lean on his former teammates for guidance and just friendship. Philly knew this and knew they could gamble on him. Bears were not in that spot to gamble on a player and do not have he culture the Eagles do. They knew that and passed on carter.

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
Poles gave up the highest rated player in the draft for a 2024 4th rd pick. Let that set it!

This HAS sunk in. And you know what this tells me? It tells me that Carter must've have real character issues that we know nothing about. For Poles to actively trade out of the opportunity to draft him is an indictment on Carter's character. If I'm not mistaken, Poles and his staff met with Carter 3 times. After so much time, effort, and expense to justify drafting Carter they still didn't, Poles must be on to something.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Philly can take the hit if he doesn't turn out as expected. Chicago had many more needs and needed to hit on their pick. If Darnell Wright is a pro bowl level tackle, who cares? They needed it and plenty of these same posters been crying about the offensive line not having any high picks invested into it

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Greg Gabriel tonight said there was stuff the public doesn’t even know about yet.

Also worth noting that Pete Carroll passed. (Along with other teams)

Eagles are the perfect team for him with people he knows and veterans to run that locker room. It’s a high risk/high reward situation they’re situated perfectly for when obviously the Bears aren’t.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I gotta be honest. I think the Bears are going to regret passing up on a HoF mauler for a good tackle.

I was a little surprised to see the Bears actively pass up on Carter. Then again, why would Poles pass on Pickens with 2 second round picks because of character concerns, to then pick Carter top 10 the next year?

Just noticed this…. Y’all already have him in the HOF? ?

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Carter even looked overweight at the draft. Everyone else looked in shape and ready to go. Give Carter millions of dollars and the character concerns will be amplified. The Eagles taking a chance on him is like the Bulls getting Dennis Rodman when they had Jordan and Pippen to keep him in check. Eagles are in a different place than the Bears. If Carter busts, they are still Super Bowl contenders.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If Howie Roseman is trading up to get someone, and you know who that someone is (if I knew watching this on my TV who it was, the Bears certianly did) you just hang up the phone and draft that player. It might hurt your precious general manager big decision maker ego, but it don't matter at the end of the day.

What you don't do is just give him the pick he wants essentially for free because he's your bud and you want to do right by him.

Fucking unreal. Imagine just not signing a couple of worthless off-ball linebackers and instead using that money to outbid Denver for Mike McGlinchey and then turning around here at ninth overall and taking Jalen Carter. How much more enthusing is that scenario than this horseshit?
The same Roseman that drafted Raegor over Jefferson, Andre Dillard over Montez Sweat and JJ Arcega-Whiteside over DK Metcalf? Interesting. It’s like Howie is some infallible GOD!!!

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The same Roseman that drafted Raegor over Jefferson, Andre Dillard over Montez Sweat and JJ Arcega-Whiteside over DK Metcalf? Interesting. It’s like Howie is some infallible GOD!!!

A 4th for the corpse of Robert Quinn.

All offseason it was OMG not more defense, great value offensive line etc

Now crying because they didn't go defense lol

BornAnAngryBearsFan

TF you lookin' at?!?!
Liked Posts:
The moment Pace was asked about Carter, during the owner's meetings, I knew he was out.. As soon as he said he'd have to discuss it with Turkey Neck George, and Kevin Warren, that should have told you he was not getting picked by them.

BelgianBearFan

Liked Posts:
The truth is they tanked an entire season of football, got blessed by the football gods into first overall and then the best player they draft is Darnell Wright. Its just underwhelming as can be, especially combined with the Chase Claypool trade.

This team looks like mediocre butt.

Poles turned the first pick in this draft into

Darnell Wright
DJ Moore
A 1st rd pick in 24
A 4th rd pick in 24
A 2nd rd pick in 25

And you call that mediocre ?

Obviously, if you want to see idiocy in action you've got to come to this site. The clear thinking minds are few and far between. Best to avoid this place ...

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Poles turned the first pick in this draft into

Darnell Wright
DJ Moore
A 1st rd pick in 24
A 4th rd pick in 24
A 2nd rd pick in 25

And you call that mediocre ?

Obviously, if you want to see idiocy in action you've got to come to this site. The clear thinking minds are few and far between. Best to avoid this place ...

The classic Tuckytake. Some of the dumbest shit you'll ever read

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Poles traded with the Eagles, moving from No. 9 to No. 10, to take Tennessee offensive tackle Darnell Wright, a player whom Poles gained that all-important “conviction” on nearly four weeks earlier, during a Saturday workout in Knoxville, Tenn.

“It was a really good experience from start to finish,” Poles said Thursday night. “A guy that we were comfortable with as being the top tackle in the draft, so we’re pumped about that.”

It was the first time Poles took a trip with a position coach for a private workout. And it became “the final box we were able to check.”

As the Bears’ personnel and analytics staff ran mock draft simulations, they could see where Wright could go, and Poles felt pretty good that they’d be safe at No. 9, as well at No. 10, knowing the Eagles wanted Carter.

That trade only happens, though, if the Bears didn’t want Carter. And they preferred Wright instead of the best three-technique in the draft for a defense that thrives with a great three-technique.

Poles didn’t want to talk about Carter on Thursday night, choosing to focus on Wright. But the way he and head coach Matt Eberflus have described players they covet in the past provided enough hints that they’d have to feel really good about Carter to make that selection.

When asked specifically if character concerns took Carter out of play for the Bears, Poles responded, “I won’t comment specifically on him, but character’s always going to be important for us.”

Poles explained what set Wright apart from the other offensive linemen.

“The tone-setting, the nasty mentality that you look for,” he said. “That probably set him apart. I think the anchor was a big one. That’s critical. The combination of size and athleticism together was another part that made us feel really good about him.”

With the Titans taking Skoronski one pick later, Poles might have thought Wright could have been an option for them, which is why he moved back only one spot.

“You want to be on your toes. I wasn’t comfortable,” he said. “I was looking at the numbers down to the last three picks and I’m like, ‘Ah.’ And then you’ve got teams behind you that you know are trying to come up because they liked him based on tracking, visits and workouts and all of those things. Yeah, you’re always nervous. I was nervous until we actually could pull the trigger.”

Wright played his college football in Tennessee and had a visit with the Titans in the pre-draft process. Poles got a 2024 fourth-round pick from the Eagles, more draft capital for the future, and got his top tackle.

“When you’re up close to him, you can feel the power, you can feel the size, the anchor when guys try to really press on him,” he said. “When you’re looking at offensive linemen, you want clean hands and he’s got some technique to work on, all of them do, but the one thing that I look for is if you miss with your hands and your technique’s a little bit off on a certain play and you still have the ability to anchor up. Even when you’re wrong, you can win when you’re wrong. That just shows you what he’s got in his body.

“If we can clean those little details up — hand usage, angles, things like that, pad level — we think that the sky’s the limit for him.”

And, the scout added, Wright “destroyed Will Anderson.”