Bears actively passed on the best player in the draft.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
I gotta be honest. I think the Bears are going to regret passing up on a HoF mauler for a good tackle.

I was a little surprised to see the Bears actively pass up on Carter. Then again, why would Poles pass on Pickens with 2 second round picks because of character concerns, to then pick Carter top 10 the next year?
As did serval other teams that could've used Carter's talent. Maybe there's a reason he fell to 9 if he was the best player in the draft.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The trade with the Eagles was shameful and I think it warrants investigation.
Another nice guy regime hand picked by George. More worried about making friends around the league than getting the better end of trades.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I'm glad we passed on Carter. I won't ever blame Poles for passing on a player with charachter concerns. It makes absolutley no sense to be recklessly speeding and racing teammates/staff members when he had already been charged with reckless speeding a few months prior and was only a few months away from being selected in the NFL draft and signing a multi million dollar contract. It's more than just poor decision making. Its Insanity!

On top of that, the guy simply wasn't productive enough. He had 3 sacks. It's not enough to claim you are the best player in the draft. Sorry. He's a good player, but did not warrant the risk in my opinion. Plus, do these Georgia DLine guys really work out in the NFL? There are solid players, sure. But have any of them really stood out. Seems Georgia just may have alot of cumulative talent on their defense. Not so much individual talent.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Another nice guy regime hand picked by George. More worried about making friends around the league than getting the better end of trades.
If Howie Roseman is trading up to get someone, and you know who that someone is (if I knew watching this on my TV who it was, the Bears certianly did) you just hang up the phone and draft that player. It might hurt your precious general manager big decision maker ego, but it don't matter at the end of the day.

What you don't do is just give him the pick he wants essentially for free because he's your bud and you want to do right by him.

Fucking unreal. Imagine just not signing a couple of worthless off-ball linebackers and instead using that money to outbid Denver for Mike McGlinchey and then turning around here at ninth overall and taking Jalen Carter. How much more enthusing is that scenario than this horseshit?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I'm glad we passed on Carter. I won't ever blame Poles for passing on a player with charachter concerns. It makes absolutley no sense to be recklessly speeding and racing teammates/staff members when he had already been charged with reckless speeding a few months prior and was only a few months away from being selected in the NFL draft and signing a multi million dollar contract. It's more than just poor decision making. Its Insanity!

On top of that, the guy simply wasn't productive enough. He had 3 sacks. It's not enough to claim you are the best player in the draft. Sorry. He's a good player, but did not warrant the risk in my opinion. Plus, do these Georgia DLine guys really work out in the NFL? There are solid players, sure. But have any of them really stood out. Seems Georgia just may have alot of cumulative talent on their defense. Not so much individual talent.
Darnell Wright has character and work ethic concerns though.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
They are in a different place than the Bears. And they took Jalen Reagor over Justin Jefferson (no one is perfect, or even close, in the draft).

As always, we'll see what happens.

Then they get Nolan Smith lol.

coolio

Liked Posts:
If Carter ends up elite big strike against Poles. 4th round pick over a potential elite player.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Darnell Wright has character and work ethic concerns though.
What are the concerns? I give him ton of credit coming into Tennessee as a 5 star talent. In his sophmore season his coach was then fired and there was a mass exodus of players who transferred out after the team went 3-7. It would have been easy for him to transfer. Instead he stayed in the program and helped turn around the Tennessee program.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
We turned the first pick of the draft into a top WR a top rookie T and added 3 or 4 extra picks. I should be happy. I am not happy. Not mad but not happy either. Our GM is a gutless wonder.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
What are the concerns? I give him ton of credit coming into Tennessee as a 5 star talent. In his sophmore season his coach was then fired and there was a mass exodus of players who transferred out after the team went 3-7. It would have been easy for him to transfer. Instead he stayed in the program and helped turn around the Tennessee program.

You can choose to believe this or not. I think its legit. I got carried away thinking "wow he dominated guys like Bryan Bresee and Will Anderosn Jr.! He must be good" but the truth is Bresee's mind was elsewhere this season against basically every team he played and Anderson Jr. is more than a little overrated.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
This general manager is entering year two and he has accumulated zero elite talent. Not just zero elite talent at the premium positions, zero elite talent in general.

The Bears had one elite talent, and he got traded away. They have not acquired a single player who profiles as anything better than "good not great" (DJ Moore, Trumaine Edmunds) and the draft picks couldn't have less potential if he tried. This team just blows. You look at it and nobody aside from maybe Justin Fields and maybe Trumaine Edmunds has any sort of dynamic ability. Everyone else is just like stock base trim model Toyota Yaris football players. And I'll be honest, neither of those two guys seem all that great despite their dynamism.

Give me a fucking Ferrari. I don't care if it might be a maintenance headache, just give me something to be excited about.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:

You can choose to believe this or not. I think its legit. I got carried away thinking "wow he dominated guys like Bryan Bresee and Will Anderosn Jr.! He must be good" but the truth is Bresee's mind was elsewhere this season against basically every team he played and Anderson Jr. is more than a little overrated.

Whether scouts said and believed that doesn't mean it aligns with reality. If he had poor work ethic it didn't show. He played for the fastest and highest scoring offense in college football. There was no breaks between snaps. There is no slouching around in Huepel's offense. If anyone's offensive lineman are in shape, its UT's.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
As did serval other teams that could've used Carter's talent. Maybe there's a reason he fell to 9 if he was the best player in the draft.
Eagles are the ideal landing spot for him. Superbowl caliber team with strong vets to keep him in line and motivate him. Teams still building like us aren't nearly as likely to take the risk, hence every team other team in the top 10 passing on him.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
Would you rather have Claypool for 32 or have that pick and trade up for JSN or Flowers? You know my answer.
That would require another 2nd round pick.

Nobody knows how either of them will do in the NFL.

We know Claypool has had success in the NFL and scored a lot of TDs with a good QB. I'd love to have the 32 pick back but every pick is a risk and at least we know Claypool's floor. I get the logic enough that I can accept it and wait and see how he does this year. With so many things going right the number 32 seems to be a rallying point the those who thrive on negativity.

Last edited:

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just heard that PHI didn't bring in Carter for a visit? Assume they met with him sometime? Not at combine right?

Very interesting if they never did meet with him.

Also note that Carter will be with 3 other Georgia defenders in PHI. Good landing place for him.

also, poor Montgomery. DET = ?