Bears actively passed on the best player in the draft.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I'm glad we passed on Carter. I won't ever blame Poles for passing on a player with charachter concerns. It makes absolutley no sense to be recklessly speeding and racing teammates/staff members when he had already been charged with reckless speeding a few months prior and was only a few months away from being selected in the NFL draft and signing a multi million dollar contract. It's more than just poor decision making. Its Insanity!

On top of that, the guy simply wasn't productive enough. He had 3 sacks. It's not enough to claim you are the best player in the draft. Sorry. He's a good player, but did not warrant the risk in my opinion. Plus, do these Georgia DLine guys really work out in the NFL? There are solid players, sure. But have any of them really stood out. Seems Georgia just may have alot of cumulative talent on their defense. Not so much individual talent.
Do you know who has a lot of cumulative Bulldog talent on defense besides Georgia?

That would be the Eagles.

Perfect landing spot for Carter with a mixture of veteran leadership and a Georgia Bulldog support structure on the team.

Philly might become the team (other than the home team Bears) to watch to see some old-school kick ass defense.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Jalen Carter has huge character concerns that have nothing to do with his off the field issues. I can't find the article but there are accounts from his georgia coaches that he improved his work ethic and was participating in 'most of the drills at practice.' Pretty astounding to think this guy was just not participating in practice.

He has been able to skate by with talent, but his motor and effort are constantly in question. This is not something that would work in chicago, or many other NFL teams really.

He landed in the perfect spot with the eagles, this team has a great defense and he will have mentors to hold him accountable in that locker room.

The bears were not in position to take a risk on Carter. Their defense is trash, and they have no veteran leadership. He would come into this team as the best player, but with no accountability. I can't imagine him playing hard on a shit team when he was having effort issues on a perennial contender and one of the best defenses in college football. I just don't see high odds for him having worked in chicago.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I don't believe that. I believe George was asked if Carter could be signed by the Bear by Poles.

When George said no, Poles got what he could get for Carter while still getting Wright.
The Seahawks are renowned for taking high risk players, and even they weren't willing to draft Carter. The texans passed on carter with a trade up. The shit can lions had multiple opportunity to take Carter and they passed on him as well.

The fkn RAIDERS of all teams passed on carter.

Ask yourself why.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
The Seahawks are renowned for taking high risk players, and even they weren't willing to draft Carter. The texans passed on carter with a trade up. The shit can lions had multiple opportunity to take Carter and they passed on him as well.

Ask yourself why.
Why should I when I believe that George gave a "no" to signing him?

After that, nothing else matters.

Montucky

Liked Posts:

Ask yourself why.
I think Seattle (correctly) recognized that that there are really two day very high impact defensive talents in this draft, Devon Witherspoon and Jalen Carter, and they simply took the one who is the better player who carried significantly less risk. Perhaps less potential, but not so much less potential that it would make them pass on Witherspoon.

norton63

Liked Posts:

You can choose to believe this or not. I think its legit. I got carried away thinking "wow he dominated guys like Bryan Bresee and Will Anderosn Jr.! He must be good" but the truth is Bresee's mind was elsewhere this season against basically every team he played and Anderson Jr. is more than a little overrated.
So is Jalen Carter.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I think Seattle (correctly) recognized that that there are really two day very high impact defensive talents in this draft, Devon Witherspoon and Jalen Carter, and they simply took the one who is the better player who carried significantly less risk. Perhaps less potential, but not so much less potential that it would make them pass on Witherspoon.
I'm happy to criticize the raiders and lions draft strategy as well, but you have to think that the huge character concerns are why they also both passed on carter.

The raiders took an edge with injury concerns over carter's character concerns. The risk is real here.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Do you know who has a lot of cumulative Bulldog talent on defense besides Georgia?

That would be the Eagles.

Perfect landing spot for Carter with a mixture of veteran leadership and a Georgia Bulldog support structure on the team.

Philly might become the team (other than the home team Bears) to watch to see some old-school kick ass defense.

But my whole point was I'm not really impressed by Georgia's defense. Their cumulative talent made them good in college. Well until they went up against equal talent in Bama and Ohio State. When up against equal talent in the NFL they are all average.

And I could argue the flip side of the coin. It's the same players and same environment of defensive guys in which he made poor decisions. Maybe some of them knew the people killed and hold him partly responsible. Maybe they act young dumb and rich together..

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
But my whole point was I'm not really impressed by Georgia's defense. Their cumulative talent made them good in college. Well until they went up against equal talent in Bama and Ohio State. When up against equal talent in the NFL they are all average.

And I could argue the flip side of the coin. It's the same players and same environment of defensive guys in which he made poor decisions. Maybe some of them knew the people killed and hold him partly responsible. Maybe they act young dumb and rich together..
Do you know what the Georgia Bulldog defense did not have?

All of the veterans found on the Eagles.

The Bulldogs on the team are not going to only rely on their cumulative defense, but the veterans who will be the cornerstones of the defense, just like the veterans will lead them to make wiser decisions by keeping them in check.

Of course, it could go wrong, but Philly won't be filled with a bunch of yes men and campus police who will look the other way for the football team to keep playing. There will be veterans who will show them the way to success.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I'm happy to criticize the raiders and lions draft strategy as well, but you have to think that the huge character concerns are why they also both passed on carter.

The raiders took an edge with injury concerns over carter's character concerns. The risk is real here.
Oh I don't disagree at all that his character concerns are why he fell. If he didn't have those concerns I'm not sure the Bears even deal out of first overall.

But ultimately despite the risk he strikes me as one of three non-quarterbacks in this class who really screamed out as big time impact players. It was him, Bijan Robinson and Devon Witherspoon. At some point you got to just to take the risk, especially if your alternative was drafting Jamyr fucking Gibbs or an injured Tyree Wilson.

This is where I'll give Ryan Poles some credit. If you're going to pass on Jalen Carter's potential, which I'm not sure I agree with doing but what's done is done, you better do it to address a position like right tackle. Their evaluation on Darnell Wright could still be wrong, but I'm a lot happier with him right now than basically all the non-Jalen Carter alternatives at tenth overall.

I will say the Bears could've probably moved further down and gotten a good return on that ninth overall pick.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
What if the best player in the draft hates playing in Chicago and decides to do some more street racing and gets arrested again. Or what if he shows up to camp 30 pounds overweight like he did his pro day??
What if Wright hates playing in Chicago and gets arrested for street racing, selling drugs, or is just plain crazy like other Bears have done or been? What if Wright shows up at 366?

There is always a risk for any player.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
A 4th for the corpse of Robert Quinn.

All offseason it was OMG not more defense, great value offensive line etc

Now crying because they didn't go defense lol

What I'm seeing is the "Take BPA. BPA has to be defense because offense doesn't have value" types that are mad defense wasn't taken.
Or to the more extreme those who don't care about the reality of character issues that I was saying there was no way Bears would take as long as McCaskeys own the team.

Was he the BPA? How does definitively determine that?

Easy, whoever they want is BPA. Since they believe it has to be true.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Oh I don't disagree at all that his character concerns are why he fell. If he didn't have those concerns I'm not sure the Bears even deal out of first overall.

But ultimately despite the risk he strikes me as one of three non-quarterbacks in this class who really screamed out as big time impact players. It was him, Bijan Robinson and Devon Witherspoon. At some point you got to just to take the risk, especially if your alternative was drafting Jamyr fucking Gibbs or an injured Tyree Wilson.

This is where I'll give Ryan Poles some credit. If you're going to pass on Jalen Carter's potential, which I'm not sure I agree with doing but what's done is done, you better do it to address a position like right tackle. Their evaluation on Darnell Wright could still be wrong, but I'm a lot happier with him right now than basically all the non-Jalen Carter alternatives at tenth overall.

I will say the Bears could've probably moved further down and gotten a good return on that ninth overall pick.
They could have. Poles confirmed there was another team in play for 9. (And most people in the know assume that was Pitt) Poles was confident Wright would not be there had they moved back that far. And that seems more than fair when you consider not only could Pit have taken him in that spot, Reports out of Tennessee this morning are that Wright was their guy and Skoronski was a nice consolation prize at 11.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
As long as I've been alive the Bears have never made it a point of emphasis to build a stout offensive line top to bottom for their quarterback. You guys already know the results that has generated irrespective of who is under center. Having said that I'm fine with Poles solidifying the offensive line for once in my lifetime and seeing how the team progresses that way.
It is also probably the first time since you have been alive that the Bears actually have a QB.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

If that was the case why would they trade out of #1 when they could have Anderson there without character issues?

#1 is for QBs in a year that has QBs. To use #1 on defense when you can trade it and still get what you want is idiocy. It was proven they could've had Carter even after trading down to #9 if that's what they wanted.

Obviously the Bears wanted an OT. Some Bears fans who are stuck wanting the team to continue to lose can't figure out oline is equal to dline in importance and more valuable than dline because they protect the QB.
It's especially stupid when you consider we gave up 55 sacks because of a lack of oline. What year has the Bears dline produced 55 sacks? (72 is the team record and that's from '84. Single player is 18.)

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Poles gave up the highest rated player in the draft for a 2024 4th rd pick. Let that set it!

Ownership continues to meddle with big decisions so I don't know if Poles is at fault.

We got the offensive lineman I wanted in that spot if we went o-line.

The low compensation is because the Bears didn't want to lose their guy and the Houston trade removed the option to move to 12 so they could jump Eagles for Carter.

Eagles have no reason to give anything if we took Carter off our board and our fearful of trading down too far.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Would you rather have Claypool for 32 or have that pick and trade up for JSN or Flowers? You know my answer.

Yeah...

It's a horrible trade. We gave up too much, clear overpay so let someone else and still have potential to get him in free agency.

That said, Moore and Claypool form a dangerous duo in the vertical zone spread offense. Moore is your deebo and Claypool is an even bigger physical problem and scary blocker for corners.

I don't like the price of Claypool but I do like the fit.
Doubs is a player I would still target for this offense if he falls out of favor in Green Bay without Rogers.
Tenacious blocking with vertical threat. That's what we want. Mooney is a decent player if on a modest contract.

Claypool is going to want more money than we want to pay or go to a QB that can feed him the balls he believes he deserves so he can get paid what he wants. That's when this deal will start to look really really bad and we will be looking at Levi's and the Notre Dame TE and others from the top of this round with what might have been.

Last edited:

Montucky

Liked Posts:
If that was the case why would they trade out of #1 when they could have Anderson there without character issues?

#1 is for QBs in a year that has QBs. To use #1 on defense when you can trade it and still get what you want is idiocy. It was proven they could've had Carter even after trading down to #9 if that's what they wanted.

Obviously the Bears wanted an OT. Some Bears fans who are stuck wanting the team to continue to lose can't figure out oline is equal to dline in importance and more valuable than dline because they protect the QB.
It's especially stupid when you consider we gave up 55 sacks because of a lack of oline. What year has the Bears dline produced 55 sacks? (72 is the team record and that's from '84. Single player is 18.)
Not that Will Anderson Jr. is a bad player, but I don't see the traits that will make him a gamewrecker in the pros. On the other hand Jalen Carter very clearly has those traits, the question is whether he'll overcome the risk factors. Minus those risk factors I'm not sure you can pass on him.