Bears are the top offer for Wentz?

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Please let Wentz go to the Colts then Luck comes out of retirement and traded to the Bears.
Why wouldnt they just trade Wentz and keep Luck?
How does a 75 stack up with the other 31 NFL starters?

Idk anything about PFF, never looked at it.
I dont have a sub but my guess is middle of the road. We would need @remydat help and he doesnt have notifications on...

David Bakhtiari and Trent Williams were a virtual tie for #1 with a 91.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:

That’s interesting. That would be bad news on the Carr front. If Wentz goes for 2 2nds + more, Carr is going to easily command at least 1 1st and a 2nd. Likely more.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
That’s interesting. That would be bad news on the Carr front. If Wentz goes for 2 2nds + more, Carr is going to easily command at least 1 1st and a 2nd. Likely more.
It's already out there that Raiders want the moon for Carr.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
It's already out there that Raiders want the moon for Carr.

Can’t blame them. He’s a top 15ish QB on one of the biggest bargain contracts in football. I do have concerns with his struggles in cold weather, but overall, he would be a huge upgrade to what the bears had last year.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Leno graded out as a 75 on PPF last year. I was told by @remydat that is a “good starter”.

FWIW he was a 78 in 2018 and a 58 in 2019.

Would not say good but average to slightly above average. As I said he was good against bad teams early, sucked ass against good teams from Colts, Bucs, etc then was good again against bad teams to close out year.

How does a 75 stack up with the other 31 NFL starters?

Idk anything about PFF, never looked at it.

Of guys that played at least 50% of snaps he was 27th so with 64 starting tackles average to above average.

Southside

Liked Posts:
I don't pretend to know what went wrong in PHI, but I will give it a shot.

If I had to guess, it is a combination of them drafting a high round QB, then Hurts getting snaps in every game after the first, increasingly nudging Wentz to the sidelines, then him getting the hook and blame for an offense with no weapons, no OL and abysmal play.

I think he is a guy that thought after playing well and putting his body on the line repeatedly, that after signing the extension, he was Philly's guy. Then they draft a guy and even early on in the season start getting him real time snaps. I assume that that means he is taking 1st team reps in practice. When that happens, the writing is on the wall. Then when everything falls apart, the blame was foist upon him.

Not saying he is right, but I get that he feels a bit burned by Roseman and Philly.

Or it could be that Wentz is simply a bad teammate. Just the fact that it appears that one of the perquisites for acquiring Wentz is that we must also get rid of Nick Foles, implies to me that Wentz cannot coexist with Foles, doesn't want to compete, and has an attitude. There has to be more to the story than, "Philly wants Foles because he won a Super Bowl".

If Carson is saying to the Eagled FO, "I'm not interested in Chicago unless Foles leaves" then he is a cancer pure and simple. And that's the vibe I'm getting from him.

Nick Foles has made concessions for Wentz in the past and gave him the starting role back to Wentz even after winning a Super Bowl. Carson Wentz seems like a problem in the locker room. Trubisky is a FA and Foles would be traded for Wentz, so we'd have a broken down injury prone Carson Wentz who just played like garbage last year with no legit backup option because he gets offended whenever his team brings in competition. Cant coexist with Foles, couldnt coexist with Hurts, etc. The dude is just a bad teammate at this point.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Read a rumor on an Eagles FB group (please take this with a grain of salt) that Wentz told the Eagles he only wants to go to the Colts. That's why there has been posturing, but nothing going down.

Time will tell, but this trade is looking dead.

Albert Breer expects Wentz to be the Bears 2021 starting QB.
He must think that Pace eventually offers up #20.
I think he will too. He has proven that he will outbid others for his guy.

Last edited:

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Albert Breer expects Wentz to be the Bears 2021 starting QB.
He must think that Pace eventually offers up #20.
I think he will too. He has proven that he will outbid others for his guy.

That was written yesterday. I wonder if that was sent out before the rumors of what Indy was offering and that Wentz prefers them?

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Can’t blame them. He’s a top 15ish QB on one of the biggest bargain contracts in football. I do have concerns with his struggles in cold weather, but overall, he would be a huge upgrade to what the bears had last year.
Derek Carr will immediately want a knew contract as he only has 2 more years left at below market value though. Also on top of the cold weather struggles, he has had a very stout oline and would not have that here initially

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
That was written yesterday. I wonder if that was sent out before the rumors of what Indy was offering and that Wentz prefers them?
Who cares what Wentz prefers, Eagles are going to take best offer. In the end Pace will give in to a #1pick and Colts won't.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Derek Carr will immediately want a knew contract as he only has 2 more years left at below market value though. Also on top of the cold weather struggles, he has had a very stout oline and would not have that here initially
FWIW in the “end or the year oline rankings” from PFF the Bears are ranked #20 and the Raiders #24.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
FWIW in the “end or the year oline rankings” from PFF the Bears are ranked #20 and the Raiders #24.
That seems really absurd to me. Raiders invested a ton in the oline and when I've seen them play Carr has all day to throw.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That seems really absurd to me. Raiders invested a ton in the oline and when I've seen them play Carr has all day to throw.
The Bears line was #17 in sacks with 36 and the Raiders were #10 with 28. Obviously the rankings take run blocking into account as well. Eagles the worst allowing 65.

Cody Whitehair was one or the best lineman in the league once he went back to G per PFF. Like top 3.

Luke

Liked Posts:

yeah, I saw the date but I believe I also saw the two 2nd's rumor before the Jaws comment so it wasn't breaking news..

Going off the premise that Pace needs to win in 2021, I try to look at his perspective on what gives him the best chance to accomplish that.

Wentz - throw out the MVP version in 2017 and the 'perfect storm' shit version in 2020 and I think there is a decent chance that you get some sort of 2018-2019 version which immediately makes him the best Bears QB in the modern era by a country mile.

Minshew - He has played to an average starting QB level (16th in both years) with a nice 37/11 td/int ratio on a team that went a combined 7/25 the last two years. There is the Flip factor here as he was his OC in his rookie season.

Darnold - aside from being the 3rd pick in 2018, what has this guy ever done even with the excuse of playing on another shit team?

Mariotta - pass

Fitz/Mitch - last ditch resorts

Wentz would obviously be the best choice assuming Pace can juggle the 2021 payroll. If they give up a 1st, then it will be more difficult to get that plug and play RT at 52 but its certainly possible. QB has to be the priority here.

If Pace doesn't get Wentz and Flip endorses Minshew, then I believe he would be the 2nd choice. He certainly costs less in both draft capital as well as payroll so there is a trade off there.

After that, we can see the wonderful alternatives left over.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
yeah, I saw the date but I believe I also saw the two 2nd's rumor before the Jaws comment so it wasn't breaking news..

Going off the premise that Pace needs to win in 2021, I try to look at his perspective on what gives him the best chance to accomplish that.

Wentz - throw out the MVP version in 2017 and the 'perfect storm' shit version in 2020 and I think there is a decent chance that you get some sort of 2018-2019 version which immediately makes him the best Bears QB in the modern era by a country mile.

Minshew - He has played to an average starting QB level (16th in both years) with a nice 37/11 td/int ratio on a team that went a combined 7/25 the last two years. There is the Flip factor here as he was his OC in his rookie season.

Darnold - aside from being the 3rd pick in 2018, what has this guy ever done even with the excuse of playing on another shit team?

Mariotta - pass

Fitz/Mitch - last ditch resorts

Wentz would obviously be the best choice assuming Pace can juggle the 2021 payroll. If they give up a 1st, then it will be more difficult to get that plug and play RT at 52 but its certainly possible. QB has to be the priority here.

If Pace doesn't get Wentz and Flip endorses Minshew, then I believe he would be the 2nd choice. He certainly costs less in both draft capital as well as payroll so there is a trade off there.

After that, we can see the wonderful alternatives left over.
Here's my thoughts on those QBs:

Minshew - Has some nice statistical moments, but with that team it's been passing game script, meaning a lot of 'garbage time' yardage sorta like Blake Bortles. He's better than Blake, but IMHO he's another Nick Foles (career backup) without out as high of a ceiling.

Darnold - Really, what has he shown? Even his rookie year before Pace he was just 'meh'. He's young, but anyone jumping on that band wagon now are looking at his college tape and hoping that player some how can emerge form underneath of the past 3 NFL seasons. I'd add, in those seasons he's never played a full 16 games. That's a knock IMHO.

Mariota - He had nerve damage in his throwing shoulder. That's why he essentially fell apart. His touch just wasn't there and his ability to trust his arm was hit and miss. He'd have to fully clear a medical and try to display the nerve has regenerated.

Mitch - The grass is always greener when you are standing on dirt.

Fitzmagic/tragic - Age is the key. He'll be 39. Trying to squeeze one season out is fine, but remember a more talented team in the Colts tried this with a far more accomplished QB in Philip Rivers. Turns out the 39 year old was operating on fumes and he's subsequently retired. Not sure Pace/Nagy want to hitch their Bears careers on a guy who's that old AND has been wildly inconsistent throughout his career.

Wentz - My thoughts are well documented here. I wish there was a way the Eagles and him can just make up.