Bears aren't going to draft a rookie QB with Pace and Nagy's jobs on the line.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
People need to come to grips with that fact.

Long term, we all know it would be better for them to draft a quarterback.

But they're not going to do it this year. They are going to want proven veterans who have measurable performance in order to secure at least a playoff win.

If they get some breathing room for the next year's draft, then I would expect them to draft that quarterback.

But with all the heat they have on them for this year?

Not happening no matter how much anyone of us fans wants it to.

and for those of you clamoring for them to draft instead of trade for a quarterback or pick up a veteran, do you really trust these guys who brought us Nick foles, Mitch trubisky, Mike Glennon, and Chase Daniel with a job of picking the correct quarterback?

I sure as hell wouldn't. In the cost to trade up to get a decent one would be way too much right now. Sorry but only clueless NFL fans whose teams are picking in the middle of the pack think Mac Jones or trey Lance would be a difference making franchise quarterback.

why the hell do you think I started a thread saying the bear should kick the tires on Matt Ryan?

It wasn't because I think Matt Ryan is some sort of quarterback god the Bears can obtain.

But when I look around and see what really is legitimately out there, I want to throw up in my mouth.

DeShaun Watson isn't going to be traded. At this rate likely neither is Russell Wilson. And the latest reports are that any talks for Derek Carr getting shut down as soon as a team asks. These are pipe dreams that will go nowhere.

What we have left in terms of what's currently available right now, and what is rumored to be available, are a bunch of quarterbacks who all failed with their original teams. All of them proved that they can't be good enough, and if you're a talent like jameis Winston, and you have one shot to resurrect your career, are you really going to try to do it with a Bears team that is this close to having everyone fired, or are you going to stay with someone who has a reputation for being an offensive genius and has gotten the most out of his quarterbacks even when his star quarterback has gone down for injury? For you Winston fans, he ain't coming here...

Every single other quarterback available or rumored to be available is just another flavor of the Nick Foles we already have on staff. In other words we already have a quarterback of that caliber.

Now if Atlanta drafts a quarterback, Matt Ryan then becomes available. Is he likely to win you a super bowl? No.

But he is a Matt Stafford level quarterback who is good enough to win a lot of games with the right talent around him, and despite his playoff record, is the one quarterback who potentially may come available who gives you the best chance at doing that given the Bears current situation.

Don't mistake what I'm saying. I'm not saying he can when you a playoff game. What I am saying is he increases your chances over what you already have and what's out there. You may be increasing your odds from 10% to 30% to win a playoff game. Still not great odds. but they are better odds than you will get from going after these replacement level quarterbacks.

And in a year like this year, everything is going to be about winning games in the now and securing Pace's and Nagy's jobs.

Should it have been like this? Hell no. I think we all can agree they should have been shown the door at the end of the season.

that way we could have had a new regime and then drafting a quarterback makes a lot more sense.

But realistically guys, drafting a quarterback isn't going to happen this year. It's more likely they draft a left tackle.

One more year, and then we can start talking about drafting a quarterback.

Be interesting part will be to see who ends up making that pick.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Rookie QB will buy Pace time as long as he shows potential. Nagy not so much. Watson is the only vet qb left that’s worth a damn so it’s either him or a rookie or nothing.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
ryan pace is drafting. If he thinks there is a rookie that can play day one, he will draft him and try to buy himself some more time.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think these guys jobs are safer than we think. I don't think it's playoff or bust next year. If they draft a rookie who shows promise, I think they are going to be back...at least Pace will be back. If they want to win this year, Watson is really the only guy they can go after now. I expect the Bears to have Watson or a rookie QB

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Rookie QB will buy Pace time as long as he shows potential. Nagy not so much. Watson is the only vet qb left that’s worth a damn so it’s either him or a rookie or nothing.
ryan pace is drafting. If he thinks there is a rookie that can play day one, he will draft him and try to buy himself some more time.
I think these guys jobs are safer than we think. I don't think it's playoff or bust next year. If they draft a rookie who shows promise, I think they are going to be back...at least Pace will be back. If they want to win this year, Watson is really the only guy they can go after now. I expect the Bears to have Watson or a rookie QB

I think you all are kidding yourselves because you want the Bears to draft a QB.

You aren't getting a day 1 - ready QB at 20. And it's too expensive to trade up to where the worthwhile qbs are.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Can't wait till after the draft to get a QB, that's a poor strategy to save anyone's job

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:

I think their jobs safe thats why they won't reach for a rookie qb and would take one only if he falls to them and they feel he can play from day one .

The Bears hit on their top 3 picks last year and the best thing they can do to keep their jobs is continue to build upon that .

Have another great draft try and win a playoff game and head into 2022 in better cap position and on the hunt for your qb . I think they have already sold George on this and while they will try every thing they can to get a stud if hes not there they will be patient and play out the year .

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
People need to come to grips with that fact.

Long term, we all know it would be better for them to draft a quarterback.

But they're not going to do it this year.

Good.

Next!

Abe Gibron's Gut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arkansas Razorbacks
Ripped this from a Sporting News article from last year.
As that might suggest, the Falcons also are locked into Ryan in 2021. A trade in March would cost them more than $44 million in dead cap with an extra cap burden of more than $3 million. Designating such a move for after June 1 is also expensive, with $44 million in dead cap over two years to offset a cap savings of $23 million.

Figure it out.
W6hVJXGW_400x400.jpg

bufordht

Liked Posts:
First of all, that's way too many words. I ain't reading all that.

2nd I think you're wrong. Pace has a better chance saving his job if he has a young QB with potential than he does with another aging mediocre has been and no long term answer at the position.

Seriously his only chance at saving his job is by having an answer at QB, a band-aid won't save his job.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
I think you all are kidding yourselves because you want the Bears to draft a QB.

You aren't getting a day 1 - ready QB at 20. And it's too expensive to trade up to where the worthwhile qbs are.
you have no idea who will be their on draft day. Rodgers fell to 24.

Last edited:

vanavyman

Liked Posts:

Matt Jones could start day one, but it will take a trade up to get him.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Ripped this from a Sporting News article from last year.
As that might suggest, the Falcons also are locked into Ryan in 2021. A trade in March would cost them more than $44 million in dead cap with an extra cap burden of more than $3 million. Designating such a move for after June 1 is also expensive, with $44 million in dead cap over two years to offset a cap savings of $23 million.

Figure it out.
View attachment 10415

Dead cap only matters if you don't have a suitable replacement. They don't count the dead cap twice if they trade him.

If ATL drafts a qb at pick 4, all that matters is saving $23m.

I had a thread explaining all this just last week.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
Trading up for Jones might be better than trading for Darnold. Still think Winston has a good year this year and probably starts for Pittsburg. With Winston's past with women not sure ownership would back bringing him to Chicago. He should fit in real well in Pittsburg.

Abe Gibron's Gut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arkansas Razorbacks
Dead cap only matters if you don't have a suitable replacement. They don't count the dead cap twice if they trade him.

If ATL drafts a qb at pick 4, all that matters is saving $23m.

I had a thread explaining all this just last week.
I'm new to this forum. Hard no on Ryan anyway.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
you have no idea who will be their on draft day. Rodgers fell to 24.

Sure, wing and a prayer. Why not. Happens every day.

I mean, look at all the GOATs picked in the 6th round after Brady was drafted. ???

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fascinating new take

Perspective

Liked Posts:
People on this board might be the dumbest cross section of humanity anywhere

Do rookie QBs ever win Superbowls ? Facts and stats say no - never

So why would management fire Gm and coach if they either traded up and drafted a QB or got one at 20 and started him for all/most of e year as long as they see the future is bright and we have a franchise QB ..... what happened last year and year before last has nothing to do with that

I would argue that the best way for Nagy and pace to not get fired is by drafting a rookie QB as long as he shows something promising... look at AZ they drafted a QB despite having drafted one in the first round a year earlier (who bombed every where in the NFL - Rosen) and they have not made the playoffs both years woth that QB but their GM and HC still have jobs ....

Montucky

Liked Posts:
If the Bears win ten games, which even a mediocre team will be able to do with how abysmal the NFC North looks like it will be next year, and a rookie quarterback shows even some encouraging signs at least Ryan Pace is back.