Bears aren't going to draft a rookie QB with Pace and Nagy's jobs on the line.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
People on this board might be the dumbest cross section of humanity anywhere

Do rookie QBs ever win Superbowls ? Facts and stats say no - never

So why would management fire Gm and coach if they either traded up and drafted a QB or got one at 20 and started him for all/most of e year as long as they see the future is bright and we have a franchise QB ..... what happened last year and year before last has nothing to do with that

I would argue that the best way for Nagy and pace to not get fired is by drafting a rookie QB as long as he shows something promising... look at AZ they drafted a QB despite having drafted one in the first round a year earlier (who bombed every where in the NFL - Rosen) and they have not made the playoffs both years woth that QB but their GM and HC still have jobs ....

:brady:

Drafting a rookie qb in an attempt to keep your job after your boss tells you win or else might be one of the dumbest fucking things I've read here this far.

And YOU are criticizing others about being a dumb cross section of humanity?

Wow, physician, heal thyself...

Abe Gibron's Gut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arkansas Razorbacks
Doesn't matter if you have a great rookie if you can't protect him and worse, call vanilla plays.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Bears win ten games, which even a mediocre team will be able to do with how abysmal the NFC North looks like it will be next year, and a rookie quarterback shows even some encouraging signs at least Ryan Pace is back.
Without a new Veteran QB, if the Bears win 10 games next year I will post a video to youtube all off-season in which I undress to nude color womens tights and ask for signatures from teenage girls at the mall while flexing my melted long gone lack of muscles and old man grossness.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, I'm absolutely bringing you all into my exhibitionist perversion and blaming it on a bet.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its gonna come out in 3 years that the mother fucker Ted Phillips who was supposed to retire and faked us fooled us all probably blocked the Wentz offer/deal and shit on us all over again. Repeat.

The goddman bears folks. Over and over and over and over can't get out of their own way. Instead of one first for Wentz we will spend a decade, 6 picks, 3 trades and 8 years of misery trying to find a comparable. Well done you fucking imbeciles.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I actually think drafting a QB buys then more time.

Abe Gibron's Gut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arkansas Razorbacks
haha I dig your username, Abe Gibron's Gut. I thought I was the only true old-timer around here who actually knew/remembered who Abe Gibron was, lol.
Looked good in da orange. Couldn't think of anything clever for Wally Chambers.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm just gonna say it and I'll probably take a lot of heat, but I think Mac Jones when it's all said and done, could be the 2nd best QB in this draft. And I think he goes to NE at 15. If Pace moves up, his target should be the Chargers at 13 or Vikings at 14.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Dead cap only matters if you don't have a suitable replacement. They don't count the dead cap twice if they trade him.

If ATL drafts a qb at pick 4, all that matters is saving $23m.

I had a thread explaining all this just last week.
They wouldn't save $23mil, they would jut get to spread the hit out over multiple years which will hamstring them into their rebuild. They are responsible for the prorated bonus no matter what they do, and that's $44mil.

Also if they designated him a post June 1 cut it would hinder their ability to sign free agents because they'd have to keep his whole number on their cap through the entire FA period.

Not a good situation for them in terms of trading Ryan.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
:brady:

Drafting a rookie qb in an attempt to keep your job after your boss tells you win or else might be one of the dumbest fucking things I've read here this far.

And YOU are criticizing others about being a dumb cross section of humanity?

Wow, physician, heal thyself...
I love how you assume they’ve been told, “win or else”

You really don’t have a clue. But don’t let that stop you from embarrassing yourself...

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I actually think drafting a QB buys then more time.

I don't see that. I think it depends though. And not on W-L so much but more on offensive growth. Barring a trainwreck like 4-12, if we go 9-7 but the offense wakes up and is at least average in key rankings so that Nagy looks like he is at least consistent and competent on offense then I think fan rage will be minimal and the FO can keep them going (which they are inclined to want to do anyway).

So Nagy's future is really mostly riding on him figuring out how to put a quality offense on the field and a rookie QB is least likely to be the path that saves Nagy (and ultimately Pace who hired Nagy).

They don't have the luxury of being bottom 5 on offense - even with a rookie.

Most fans will be up-in-arms that Nagy cannot win with Mitch/Chase/Foles and now new guy. because of NAGY .

My read is George has a limit as to how disgusted fans will be before he cleans house ... and he already almost decided Pace and Nagy had reached that limit this year.

Last edited:

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I love how you assume they’ve been told, “win or else”

You really don’t have a clue. But don’t let that stop you from embarrassing yourself...

Sadly I suspect you are right. Owners don't care if we win; they just want fans to be ok enough to spend that $$$ and not be embarrassed overall. Low bar indeed.

In a vaccuum and objectively, @Hal9000 is absolutely right as every owner everywhere should operate under a "win or else" mentality. Even if it is a multi-year plan to win in next 3 years for example.

Bears owners are clear that mediocre is ok though because profits are maximized in mediocrity I suspect.

After all, with trying too hard to win it all, one risks the odd big losing season here and there too. (blowing expenditures and losing for a long time after a SB win or at least coming close).

Making the playoffs/ simply being on the bubble and in the hunt in December is the unspoken goal because it is easier to achieve and sustain and still produces big $$$.

No incentive for more than that inherently exists - outside of press conferences for PR sake of course.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think you all are kidding yourselves because you want the Bears to draft a QB.

You aren't getting a day 1 - ready QB at 20. And it's too expensive to trade up to where the worthwhile qbs are.
Your flaw is thinking that they are mutually exclusive situations. We have Foles and may get something else. The rest depends on how the draft falls and trading up some is not out of the question. You can draft a QB if you like him and not expect him to be a day one starter, even if your job is on the line. I think Nagy's job is more on the line than Pace's but I doubt they go panic mode in the draft.