Bears aren't going to draft a rookie QB with Pace and Nagy's jobs on the line.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
People on this board might be the dumbest cross section of humanity anywhere

Do rookie QBs ever win Superbowls ? Facts and stats say no - never

So why would management fire Gm and coach if they either traded up and drafted a QB or got one at 20 and started him for all/most of e year as long as they see the future is bright and we have a franchise QB ..... what happened last year and year before last has nothing to do with that

How dare you make sense!

If the team still treads 8-8 water with a promising rookie at QB, Pace/Nagy won't get fired, even though most fans have already fired them/believe nothing can be changed.

I just cant wait for the board scouting dept to sign off on who to take at 20/trade up for...

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
Sadly I suspect you are right. Owners don't care if we win; they just want fans to be ok enough to spend that $$$ and not be embarrassed overall. Low bar indeed.

In a vaccuum and objectively, @Hal9000 is absolutely right as every owner everywhere should operate under a "win or else" mentality. Even if it is a multi-year plan to win in next 3 years for example.

Bears owners are clear that mediocre is ok though because profits are maximized in mediocrity I suspect.

After all, with trying too hard to win it all, one risks the odd big losing season here and there too. (blowing expenditures and losing for a long time after a SB win or at least coming close).

Making the playoffs/ simply being on the bubble and in the hunt in December is the unspoken goal because it is easier to achieve and sustain and still produces big $$$.

No incentive for more than that inherently exists - outside of press conferences for PR sake of course.
I'm not sure ownership wants to accept mediocre play, they just don't know how to do it any other way. Not having a football person in charge has hurt the Bears over the last 30 years. They would be a lot better off right now if they had hired one. Then Teddy and the family would not have to be involved. They could just approve large money expenses which they can understand. Without a football person running the show long term it makes it really hard to win long term. Would love to see them hire Payton Manning and give him Elway type of control (maybe part ownership if needed). Won't happen but they would be better off.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I'm not sure ownership wants to accept mediocre play, they just don't know how to do it any other way. Not having a football person in charge has hurt the Bears over the last 30 years. They would be a lot better off right now if they had hired one. Then Teddy and the family would not have to be involved. They could just approve large money expenses which they can understand. Without a football person running the show long term it makes it really hard to win long term. Would love to see them hire Payton Manning and give him Elway type of control (maybe part ownership if needed). Won't happen but they would be better off.

I agree with everything you write here. Except the first sentence. If they truly didn't want to accept mediocrity then they would literally do as you suggest. But they don't. Which is evidence that my take on what they are ok with accepting is probably more in line with objective reality

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I agree with everything you write here. Except the first sentence. If they truly didn't want to accept mediocrity then they would literally do as you suggest. But they don't. Which is evidence that my take on what they are ok with accepting is probably more in line with objective reality
If they know they don't have a good chance to hire a good GM, what would make them think that they had a good chance to hire a good head of football operations or whatever?

I don't think it's evidence of anything other than they aren't very competent owners.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If they know they don't have a good chance to hire a good GM, what would make them think that they had a good chance to hire a good head of football operations or whatever?

I don't think it's evidence of anything other than they aren't very competent owners.

What? Their incompetence is a given.

And why wouldn't they think they can hire a good head of football ops when the results on the field reflect the quality of the job done?

If they hold the GM to that standard (only when fans get loud enough seems to me), but they do not hold themselves to that standard then it proves MORE than simple incompetence but a lack of accountability with no end in sight.

I was going to put a capper here summing up the fucked up nature and then I realized I have NO idea what your original point even is.

You are basically saying "they can't hire a good GM because they suck at football knowledge, so they SHOULD not be bothered to even TRY to hire a good head of football ops that knows football to hire a good GM" LOL? Sarcasm I hope?

Also, you seem to be overlooking the fact that the word out there is quality GMs and HCs "lose" out on interviews with the Bears when they reportedly challenge the football ops decisions the owners have made/would make a couple years down the line.

Last edited:

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I knew some on CCS cape for ownership, but I had no idea some were so blind as to believe that they are merely incompetent at football - rather than ignorant of football and too arrogant to deny a need for change in football ops to be in the best interest of the team they own!

leading anyone to suspect that mediocrity is the unspoken acceptable standard here.

I thought most here knew this to be true?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
What? Their incompetence is a given.

And why wouldn't they think they can hire a good head of football ops when the results on the field reflect the quality of the job done?

If they hold the GM to that standard (only when fans get loud enough seems to me), but they do not hold themselves to that standard then it proves more than simple incompetence but a lack of accountability with no end in sight.

I was going to put a capper here summing up the fucked up nature and then I realized I have NO idea what your original point even is.

You are basically saying "they can't hire a good GM because they suck at football knowledge, so they SHOULD not be bothered to even TRY to hire a good head of football ops that knows football to hire a good GM" LOL? Sarcasm I hope?

Also, you seem to be overlooking the fact that the word out there is quality GMs and HCs "lose" out on interviews with the Bears when they reportedly challenge the football ops decisions the owners have made/would make a couple years down the line.
I'll spell it out simply since your reading skills seem tard level: I don't think they are actively trying to be mediocre.

First off, how does being mediocre even help them to make money? Like 75% of their revenue is guaranteed via the league with TV and merchandizing and licensing. Only about 8% of their profits are made via ticket sales, and because sales are almost all done well in advance or season ticket holders, there's no chance they are going to lose any substantial amount from that. They make very little on concessions too. So, genius, please let me know what the financial incentive to mediocrity is versus even one season of being very good.

Bears average attendance pretty much been flat every year since 2008:

I'm not saying that they shouldn't even bother to try to hire a head of football ops. Learn to read. I'm saying it's not them actively trying to be mediocre that causes them not to.

Caping, lol. I call them incompetent and that's caping. Only on CCS can posters be this fucking stupid.

Last edited:

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pace has been measured so far this offseason and hasn't operated out of desperation as many expect. Considering ownership won't talk about contract length for Nagy or Pace, it's likely they're safer than we all think. Not defending this, it's just reality.

What we've seen from Pace is doubling down on positions of need. That's why I expect he'll bring in a vet—or bring back Trubs failing that—and draft a QB . This is how he approached WR, K, TE in the past.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'll spell it out simply since your reading skills seem tard level: I don't think they are actively trying to be mediocre.

First off, how does being mediocre even help them to make money? Like 75% of their revenue is guaranteed via the league with TV and merchandizing and licensing. Only about 8% of their profits are made via ticket sales, and because sales are almost all done well in advance or season ticket holders, there's no chance they are going to lose any substantial amount from that. They make very little on concessions too. So, genius, please let me know what the financial incentive to mediocrity is versus even one season of being very good.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't even bother to try to hire a head of football ops. Learn to read. I'm saying it's not them actively trying to be mediocre that causes them not to.

Caping, lol. I call them incompetent and that's caping. Only on CCS can posters be this fucking stupid.

Actually you need to be clearer upfront before you accuse one of "reading at tard level".

I said mediocrity maximizes profit due to being easier to achieve and sustain with minimal fan unhappiness.

Unlike your defensive, confrontational attitude, I will not accuse you of being Special person for missing that in my posts - rather I will reply that the economic mechanisms are not apparent. They make more $$$ when winning and contending BUT that is difficult to achieve and hard to sustain often at the expense of having more losing seasons than winning after a window closes.

They stand to make far less $$$ during the reload phase- which could go on for better part of a decade like the most of 90's and early 00's.

So, genius, please let me know what the financial incentive to mediocrity is versus even one season of being very good.

Same principle as taking less money BUT consistent money from a salary rather than being an entrepeneur and making a ton more or FAR less based on direct correlation to success and winning.

It is not a perfect analogy but the principle would be the same.

You didn't actually say that though. I see you implied it but I did not infer it.

Instead of being a dick, you could restate it again but you chose the former way to go.

Anyway, if you had been more direct, I would have AGREED WITH YOU

I too think them actively trying to be mediocre is NOT the primary reason why they don't hire a football guy. I think arrogance is the primary factor BUT the **profitability of mediocrity** allows them to be arrogant for eternity.

Caping, lol.

Yes some here do cape. You assumed I included you as one of those that do but I referred to those who do cape and then added TO those who cape those who are misguided in their criticisms and lowball how bad they are.

That would be the part that referred to you.

But that could be unclear so I take the time to be more clear here rather than insulting upfront that you "read at a tard level". Don't be a dick.

I call them incompetent and that's caping.

It's not caping; it's missing the severity of the issues in the FO.

Only on CCS can posters be this fucking stupid.

We are in an ongoing discussion and YOU are unnecessarily hostile in your reply rather than openly engaged in dialogue.

There are a lot of CCS posters that I would categorize as "fucking stupid". Heretofore, you have not been one of them.

I am now reconsidering that. Your reply will go a long way in my final estimation of you as a CCS poster.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Actually you need to be clearer upfront before you accuse one of "reading at tard level".

I said mediocrity maximizes profit due to being easier to achieve and sustain with minimal fan unhappiness.

Unlike your defensive, confrontational attitude, I will not accuse you of being Special person for missing that in my posts - rather I will reply that the economic mechanisms are not apparent. They make more $$$ when winning and contending BUT that is difficult to achieve and hard to sustain often at the expense of having more losing seasons than winning after a window closes.

They stand to make far less $$$ during the reload phase- which could go on for better part of a decade like the most of 90's and early 00's.

Same principle as taking less money BUT consistent money from a salary rather than being an entrepeneur and making a ton more or FAR less based on direct correlation to success and winning.

It is not a perfect analogy but the principle would be the same.

You didn't actually say that though. I see you implied it but I did not infer it.

Instead of being a dick, you could restate it again but you chose the former way to go.

Anyway, if you had been more direct, I would have AGREED WITH YOU

I too think them actively trying to be mediocre is NOT the primary reason why they don't hire a football guy. I think arrogance is the primary factor BUT the **profitability of mediocrity** allows them to be arrogant for eternity.

Yes some here do cape. You assumed I included you as one of those that do but I referred to those who do cape and then added TO those who cape those who are misguided in their criticisms and lowball how bad they are.

That would be the part that referred to you.

But that could be unclear so I take the time to be more clear here rather than insulting upfront that you "read at a tard level". Don't be a dick.

It's not caping; it's missing the severity of the issues in the FO.

We are in an ongoing discussion and YOU are unnecessarily hostile in your reply rather than openly engaged in dialogue.

There are a lot of CCS posters that I would categorize as "fucking stupid". Heretofore, you have not been one of them.

I am now reconsidering that. Your reply will go a long way in my final estimation of you as a CCS poster.
Well my first post was completely innocuous and I perceived your response as confrontational. I overreacted, sometimes perhaps I read more aggression in a post than I should. Apologies, you're right. I stepped it up much more than I should have.

I think the basic point, that they aren't trying to be mediocre, was pretty clear. Sorry that it was not.

There is essentially no financial incentive to be mediocre. Aside from perhaps a few million in concessions there's no difference in revenue and I'd think that the potential for increased revenue from naming rights when they are good has a higher potential for more revenue than losing does for less.

I also don't think I missed the severity of issue. The issue is their incompetence, which I stated clearly. I think that issue supersedes their lack of a football ops guys. I don't think the chances they hire a good FO guy are higher than the chances they hire a good GM.

Again, my bad.

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
People don’t believe owners accept mediocrity and then we have jerry reinsdorf

“Jerry Reinsdorf’s alleged advice to Samson was, “Finish in second place every single year because your fans will say ‘Wow, we got a shot. We’re in it!’ But there’s always the carrot left.””

edit: to clarify, I don’t necessarily believe this is the case for the bears. More incompetence than anything

dennehy

Liked Posts:

“Jerry Reinsdorf’s alleged advice to Samson was, “Finish in second place every single year because your fans will say ‘Wow, we got a shot. We’re in it!’ But there’s always the carrot left.””

edit: to clarify, I don’t necessarily believe this is the case for the bears. More incompetence than anything
There is financial incentive to be mediocre in baseball.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
100% they are getting a QB rd 1 if we don’t trade for a starter(Watson/Wilson/Carr) Whether they hit one at 20 or move up. Pace/Nagy both know that having POTENTIAL in a young QB who shows promise will extend their jobs at least one more year. Potentially extensions if it goes better than planned.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:

Yeah, and I'm a Sox fan who can't believe how many Sox fans still back Reinsdorf or simply buy his bullshit. He lays out clearly that he doesn't prioritize winning, but still spins it enough for fans to have hope every year.

I think the McCaskey's are incredibly accepting of mediocrity, but for different reasons. I think they are incapable of doing better, and too cowardly to allow someone else to try.

jerkstore

Liked Posts:
Man this board can be harsh, haha.

There was a Tribune article out after the season that suggested that Nagy/Pace would likely have been gone already but the playoff appearance put us behind the ball in the hiring process.

That’s about as hot as the seat can get, no?

We really can’t give up our top picks this year either because our roster is extremely thin. We need people who can play out of the gate.

That said the picks for 2022 and beyond could easily be sold off to land Trask or Mond in the mid rounds.

MurrDogg34

Liked Posts:
I think you all are kidding yourselves because you want the Bears to draft a QB.

You aren't getting a day 1 - ready QB at 20. And it's too expensive to trade up to where the worthwhile qbs are.

I don't want the Bears to draft a QB. I think the QBs in this draft are overrated. However, I also agree that Nagy and especially Pace, have more job security than we want to believe. Which also sucks. Ultimately, if the Bears do draft a QB, we'll know Pace will be around for at least 3-4 more years.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
People need to come to grips with that fact.

Long term, we all know it would be better for them to draft a quarterback.

But they're not going to do it this year. They are going to want proven veterans who have measurable performance in order to secure at least a playoff win.

If they get some breathing room for the next year's draft, then I would expect them to draft that quarterback.

But with all the heat they have on them for this year?

Not happening no matter how much anyone of us fans wants it to.

and for those of you clamoring for them to draft instead of trade for a quarterback or pick up a veteran, do you really trust these guys who brought us Nick foles, Mitch trubisky, Mike Glennon, and Chase Daniel with a job of picking the correct quarterback?

I sure as hell wouldn't. In the cost to trade up to get a decent one would be way too much right now. Sorry but only clueless NFL fans whose teams are picking in the middle of the pack think Mac Jones or trey Lance would be a difference making franchise quarterback.

why the hell do you think I started a thread saying the bear should kick the tires on Matt Ryan?

It wasn't because I think Matt Ryan is some sort of quarterback god the Bears can obtain.

But when I look around and see what really is legitimately out there, I want to throw up in my mouth.

DeShaun Watson isn't going to be traded. At this rate likely neither is Russell Wilson. And the latest reports are that any talks for Derek Carr getting shut down as soon as a team asks. These are pipe dreams that will go nowhere.

What we have left in terms of what's currently available right now, and what is rumored to be available, are a bunch of quarterbacks who all failed with their original teams. All of them proved that they can't be good enough, and if you're a talent like jameis Winston, and you have one shot to resurrect your career, are you really going to try to do it with a Bears team that is this close to having everyone fired, or are you going to stay with someone who has a reputation for being an offensive genius and has gotten the most out of his quarterbacks even when his star quarterback has gone down for injury? For you Winston fans, he ain't coming here...

Every single other quarterback available or rumored to be available is just another flavor of the Nick Foles we already have on staff. In other words we already have a quarterback of that caliber.

Now if Atlanta drafts a quarterback, Matt Ryan then becomes available. Is he likely to win you a super bowl? No.

But he is a Matt Stafford level quarterback who is good enough to win a lot of games with the right talent around him, and despite his playoff record, is the one quarterback who potentially may come available who gives you the best chance at doing that given the Bears current situation.

Don't mistake what I'm saying. I'm not saying he can when you a playoff game. What I am saying is he increases your chances over what you already have and what's out there. You may be increasing your odds from 10% to 30% to win a playoff game. Still not great odds. but they are better odds than you will get from going after these replacement level quarterbacks.

And in a year like this year, everything is going to be about winning games in the now and securing Pace's and Nagy's jobs.

Should it have been like this? Hell no. I think we all can agree they should have been shown the door at the end of the season.

that way we could have had a new regime and then drafting a quarterback makes a lot more sense.

But realistically guys, drafting a quarterback isn't going to happen this year. It's more likely they draft a left tackle.

One more year, and then we can start talking about drafting a quarterback.

Be interesting part will be to see who ends up making that pick.
I understand, considering the history, you don't want Pace drafting a QB lol! But that doesn't factor into a prediction: "Bears aren't going to draft a QB".

I would be impressed if Pace drafted a 1st Rd QB, as it would show he's looking more long term. Heard top 6 QBs may be worth it. Bears are in play.

We know we have Foles (unless he's in a trade deal), but it's still likely Pace is looking for starting QB in FA. But we know the FA QB isn't likely to be a franchise QB. So I hope Pace drafts a 1st RD QB, even move up a little if necessary.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I don't want the Bears to draft a QB. I think the QBs in this draft are overrated. However, I also agree that Nagy and especially Pace, have more job security than we want to believe. Which also sucks. Ultimately, if the Bears do draft a QB, we'll know Pace will be around for at least 3-4 more years.
Yeah, I haven't assessed the draft QBs. Obviously that's a tough job lol! There's hit-&-misses. I still think you have to take your swings at that plate.

If there were real franchise QBs avl to the Bears in FA, they'd be a different story. Considering the cap, & the FA QBs, I'd draft a 1st Rd QB.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think their jobs safe thats why they won't reach for a rookie qb and would take one only if he falls to them and they feel he can play from day one .

The Bears hit on their top 3 picks last year and the best thing they can do to keep their jobs is continue to build upon that .

Have another great draft try and win a playoff game and head into 2022 in better cap position and on the hunt for your qb . I think they have already sold George on this and while they will try every thing they can to get a stud if hes not there they will be patient and play out the year .

The only problem with that is, next years QB draft class is unlikely to be as good as this one, I do agree that taking a QB at 20 is a uncalled for reach

Perspective

Liked Posts:
:brady:

Drafting a rookie qb in an attempt to keep your job after your boss tells you win or else might be one of the dumbest fucking things I've read here this far.

And YOU are criticizing others about being a dumb cross section of humanity?

Wow, physician, heal thyself...

Go see the press conferences again ....it was clearly mentioned that there was no win-loss number or playoff mandate .... all that the Bears owners wanted to see was the Bears going in a positive direction