Bears Make Cap Moves

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Been hurt the last two years, was less and less effective from 2018 when he was on the field. Big cap cut if he walks.

Not sure everyone WANTS him to go, it just makes sense.
Hicks played in 15 games last year. He had only 3.5 sacks but 21 QB hits. He's still affecting games without strong play next to him. It was a down year for the whole defense.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
don't be a bad guy. I'm just saying what do you get out of a used player, and giving up capital and talent to acquire them, for a limited time? to say DERP WE GOT US A FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK FINALLY.

I understand the children in the college ranks now aren't what they were 20 years ago, but I still find better value in just drafting your own player and coach them up. even if you trade up in the draft you take less penalty vs. convincing a team to take a trade deal for a guy that's entering season 10 of their career. it's not like the Bears are built for an elite quarterback anyway, so those 5 years you get from him, it's going to be the usual half-baked garbage that we're all certainly used to by now.

same applies to Watson, even though he has half the time on the odometer. but I guess you could argue both guys are playing with shit on their respective teams already, so maybe it works. is it worth that gamble?
I'm not being a bad guy but your post suggests Wilson will do nothing as a Bear and leave after 5 years and the Bears will give up at least 6 years worth of draft picks. It's hyperbolic to the point where it's hard to take seriously. You're really gonna shit on peoples idea of trading for a franchise QB on the chance he might end up a dud? Then what's the point of any of this if we cant even be optimistic about a proven, future HOF(at this rate)?

I disagree that they're not built for an elite QB. They do just enough on defense to keep games close despite three straight years of complete incompetence at the position. The OL isn't great but upgrading one tackle could go a long way. Lets stop pretending like that's impossible. Wilson has been hit a lot over his career but he's also been known as the QB you cant get great hits on, which does make a difference.

Depending on the price for Wilson, itd be worth the gamble. Watson on the other hand id pay a kings ransom and not think twice about it. The doom and gloom over losing draft picks is insane considering we're talking about players the Bears have never had. Ever. Oh no, not enough depth on the DL. One of the safeties suck. The OL isn't great. How ever will the Bears survive?

Some people here act like having holes on the roster will sink the ship when literally every team deals with it, even championship teams. I've seen the Bears do the balanced roster thing. The all defense thing. The Marc Trestman thing. I have never in my life seen them do the top tier, perennial baller QB thing. Nothing they have ever done has gotten the job done and i've never seen a legitimate great QB under center. I want to see it, even if it costs a lot.

I'd gamble the future on great QB play because i have zero faith in this organization to draft a great QB or build a roster good enough to plug and play mediocre QBs to perennial playoff appearances.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
You just asked yourself if you need your phone number. Maybe you should call someone or get your alts in order.

Shouldn't you be chasing the short buses so you can tease the mentally challenged kids since you can't do it to the kids that would bitch slap the shit out of you?

Why do you keep reading all of my posts? Why do you reply to every post i make? Stalk much?

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Shouldn't you be chasing the short buses so you can tease the mentally challenged kids since you can't do it to the kids that would bitch slap the shit out of you?

Why do you keep reading all of my posts? Why do you reply to every post i make? Stalk much?
Because I chase short buses and tease the mentally challenged kids. Don't like it? Don't be Special person.

There's a simple solution to this. You can learn what the words you use mean and not be completely wrong about all of your football takes. I'm here to talk to people who don't have to wear helmets when they're around furniture with sharp corners.

and lol at the slap the shit out of me comment. We've entered the tough guy phase. Watch out gay people, the homophobe is getting violent. Hold you wallets tight!

FTR, you started replying to me in this thread. Stalk much? Derp

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
CCS: "WE NEED A FRANCHISE QB!!!!!111"
[Bears trade everything for Russell Wilson]
[Wilson plays for 5 years and leave the Bears unable to draft anyone]

WELL PLAYED YOU WONDERFUL PEOPLE

Honestly, still worth. At least with Russell Wilson we'll have a chance. We all knew full well the last 2 years that we had 0 chance of doing anything.

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hicks played in 15 games last year. He had only 3.5 sacks but 21 QB hits. He's still affecting games without strong play next to him. It was a down year for the whole defense.
Are there any stats available to see the results of those QB hits? Are they forcing incompletions or turnovers? It’s a stretch to say he’s affecting games otherwise

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are there any stats available to see the results of those QB hits? Are they forcing incompletions or turnovers? It’s a stretch to say he’s affecting games otherwise
I'm not aware of any advanced stat like that. His tackles, TFL, and snap percentage all say he's out there making an impact. His PFF rating was 67, which was down a bit for him, I think Nichols was like a 76.

You can watch the games and make a judgement for yourself. He certainly wasn't injured and there's not a lot that supports he's on the decline specifically in the context that the entire defense regressed under Pagano in 2019-2020.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Hicks will need to take a pay cut to stick around. I see him signing with Tampa on the cheap when he is cut.

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not aware of any advanced stat like that. His tackles, TFL, and snap percentage all say he's out there making an impact. His PFF rating was 67, which was down a bit for him, I think Nichols was like a 76.

You can watch the games and make a judgement for yourself. He certainly wasn't injured and there's not a lot that supports he's on the decline specifically in the context that the entire defense regressed under Pagano in 2019-2020.
It’s funny how perspectives differ. His snap percentage certainly shows he was out there but I think the metrics you’ve mentioned do lean toward him not having much of an impact or affecting the game like he has.
Mario Edwards matched his sack and TFL total with a fraction of the snap count. 2020 may have just been a down year but considering his age and recent injuries it’s a hell of a gamble. Especially with his cap hit

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hicks has been one of the best players at his position in the league over his time with the Bears. It's funny how you don't understand his value.

Yes, there are concerns with age and injury for any player on the wrong side of 30. But if you think you're getting the same effort and overall impact from Mario Edwards for 74% of the defensive snaps for the season, go ahead and bang the table for him.

Hicks isn't signing cheap anywhere if we cut him. He's the same age as JJ Watt without the problematic injury history. 12M is about his market value and if you extend him a year to lower his cap, that's not risky. That's business in the NFL.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
It's not an easy pill for fans to swallow but the reality is that Trubs is a fallback option better than most FAs.

I was looking at NFL.com FA rankings and couldn't believe he was listed at 101. Yes, he's a marginal starter but every FA on the market is a backup / borderline starter at best. In the right system (obviously not ours with Nagy here), Trubs could still have upside.

I'd like to move on but not if its for dogshit. The position could get so much worse.

I agree. A 64 percent completion rate, over 10,000 yards passing, 64 TDs to 37 picks, 1,090 yards and eight rushing TDs are nothing to sneeze at, especially with a 25-13 record under Nagy.

If the Bears can't swing a deal for a QB without wiping out draft capital, keeping Mitch and using the draft to get help at OT (Carman and Faalele are my guys), WR, and youth on the front seven is not a bad way to go.

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hicks has been one of the best players at his position in the league over his time with the Bears. It's funny how you don't understand his value.

Yes, there are concerns with age and injury for any player on the wrong side of 30. But if you think you're getting the same effort and overall impact from Mario Edwards for 74% of the defensive snaps for the season, go ahead and bang the table for him.

Hicks isn't signing cheap anywhere if we cut him. He's the same age as JJ Watt without the problematic injury history. 12M is about his market value and if you extend him a year to lower his cap, that's not risky. That's business in the NFL.
What you say about Hicks was bang on from 2016-2018, he was immense! But that was quite a while ago in NFL terms and, as you say, that’s business in the NFL.

I’m not expecting Edwards to be asked to replace Hicks, I think Nichols would get that role in that scenario. But there’s a good argument that Edwards did have a similar impact to Hicks last season despite considerably less playing time and are you seriously questioning Edwards effort?

If Hicks is cut I couldn’t care less what he signs for with another team, if the move is made it’ll be because of the cap space it generates for the Bears and that’s all that matters in that respect