Bears Mount Rushmore

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Damn it Ditka!

The only worse blow to the bears than that ridiculously classless and dirty move, was Ditka's decision to replace a game managing QB in Tomczak, and instead start a midget who just joined the team.

He lost the team forever after that.

Terrific D and running game. All you needed was a QB to not lose it. And Ditka blew it.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Alsom Ditka deserves to be in contention. This board's obsession with throwing him under the bus has always been hilarious to me.

Guys like Jim McMahon wrote books denigrating teammates in 1986, showed up out of shape, refused to rehab correctly etc.

Other guys asked for trades, wanted more money, were doing their own endorsements etc.

Blaming Ditka for that 1980's team falling apart is absurd.

Anyone who has heard the Bears players from that team talk about why they didn't win again knows Ditka was the primary reason. "Absurd"? Tell that to the players. To a man they say Ditka lost the team with the endorsements and the handling of the strike and the scab players.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I would have to go Sid Luckman only because it would be pretty embarrassing that a Pro Football team that has existed as long as the Bears have to not have one quarterback up there.

Also...is Halas really necessary?

It's kind of like making the first induction into the Rock n Roll HOF the man that owns the building.

Yeah, because it's not like he was coach for decades (with many titles) or GM.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The only worse blow to the bears than that ridiculously classless and dirty move, was Ditka's decision to replace a game managing QB in Tomczak, and instead start a midget who just joined the team.

He lost the team forever after that.

Terrific D and running game. All you needed was a QB to not lose it. And Ditka blew it.

Anyone who has heard the Bears players from that team talk about why they didn't win again knows Ditka was the primary reason. "Absurd"? Tell that to the players. To a man they say Ditka lost the team with the endorsements and the handling of the strike and the scab players.

Half the stories the players tell don't even line up with reality and what happened.

Here's what actually happened:

The week after the McMahon injury T-Suck started vs the Steelers. Threw 0 TD's and 2 INT's. He was terrible.
The week after that the Bears blew out the Bucs and Flutie got some mop up duty. T-Suck was ok.
T-Suck got hurt about 3 plays into the next game against Detroit. Flutie came in and played "meh". Bears win.
Flutie starts the next week against Dallas in part due to the T-Suck injury, plays really well, and the Bears win.

Ditka starts Flutie for the playoff game. Flutie didn't just get handed the starting job. On top of all this Fuller and T-Suck were abysmal in 1986. They combined for something like 4 TDs and 14 INT's. That's not game manager football.

The entire kicker to this is look at the career Flutie went on to have...compare that to the career of T-Suck, Fuller, etc. I'd say Ditka ended up being pretty much correct about Flutie. It's odd how this narrative is on it's head. Had Ditka run FLutie out of town people would look at Flutie's subsequent success as an indictment of Ditka...but in this current situation no one even acknowledges Ditka was right about Flutie.

McMahon was an asshat during this entire situation too. Actively turning the team against Flutie and decisions that coaches were making. That's not a great thing to do.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Why?

Those 5 years - he only played a total of 68 games, BTW - were enough to make people realize he was one of the top RB's of all time. Even 50 years later, he is considered Top 10.

Very few RB's ever could move like that man. Fans rave about Payton and Hester. Sayers was both.

Sorry, you don't get to be 141st on the all time rushing list and considered "top 10". That's BS homer stuff there. Availability matters.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Halas, Luckman, Payton, Halas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Probably Ditka becuse he along sith Mackey revamped the position and he also was HC for our only SB. If not, then Atkins.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Sorry, you don't get to be 141st on the all time rushing list and considered "top 10". That's BS homer stuff there. Availability matters.

It's not homer, homey.

I just saw a list this week of Top 25 all time, and he was, I believe, 8 on that list. Consensus any time you see RB's ranked, Sayers is Top 10. You think Terell Davis and Curtis Martin and Emmitt Fucking Smith ever saw the day they could run like Sayers? Think again.

Emmitt Smith is #1 all time, and nobody with eyeballs has ever considered him the best. Nobody!

Don't comment on that which you do not know. If you have no idea how good a runner he was, say nothing. I am too young to have watched Sayers prime but I have seen every single RB since. Jim Brown is considered #1. Every other on the list has been in my lifetime. (Ok, Jim Taylor of GB is not one I saw). But all others.

If you are unaware because it was before your time it's OK. But don't make declarative statements from a position of ignorance.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It's not homer, homey.

I just saw a list this week of Top 25 all time, and he was, I believe, 8 on that list. Consensus any time you see RB's ranked, Sayers is Top 10. You think Terell Davis and Curtis Martin and Emmitt Fucking Smith ever saw the day they could run like Sayers? Think again.

Emmitt Smith is #1 all time, and nobody with eyeballs has ever considered him the best. Nobody!

Don't comment on that which you do not know. If you have no idea how good a runner he was, say nothing. I saw him, and every single RB since. Jim Brown is considered #1. Every other on the list has been in my lifetime. (Ok, Jim Taylor of GB is not one I saw). But all others.

If you are unaware because it was before your time it's OK. (I am too young to have watched Sayers prime). But don't make dumb declarative statements.

Good for you?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Shocked that Mike McCaskey didn't make anyone's list.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, because it's not like he was coach for decades (with many titles) or GM.
I guess. Just seems redundant to me. It also affords me a player from each generation.

Luckman
Butkus
Payton
Urlacher

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The point being, that your "homer" comment was completely inaccurate.

Don't ask Bears fans. Ask anyone else. Better yet - everyone else.

I don't need to ask anyone. Common sense tells you and athlete that only had 5 years of production is not top 10.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I also go urlacher.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I would have to go Sid Luckman only because it would be pretty embarrassing that a Pro Football team that has existed as long as the Bears have to not have one quarterback up there.

Also...is Halas really necessary?

It's kind of like making the first induction into the Rock n Roll HOF the man that owns the building.
Without him, there probably would not be an NFL at all. He was way more than just an owner.

Owner, coach, player, founder, salesman, marketing and much more.

The NFL owes a ton to Halas.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I think by the end of the Mack makes the 4th easily.

Thanks for the thread, great topic!
Agreed. Another excellent on topic thread by one of the best ccs has. Really putting in excellent work as a mod.