Bears Mount Rushmore

Bort

Liked Posts:
Sayers was the best player on the field every time he stepped on the field.

Despite playing only 68 games, he was a 5 time all-pro (literally every healthy season), 2 time NFL rushing leader, averaged 5.0 yards per carry and 11.7 yards per reception, and scored 56 touchdowns (39 rushing, 9 receiving, and 8 returns).

If I have to point out to you how ridiculous it is for a running back to average almost a touchdown per game over their career, then you should be disqualified from ever posting here again. Jim Brown is the only running back in history who actually managed to average a touchdown per game over his career.

sphinxnole

Liked Posts:
Payton, Halas, Butkus, Nagurski..e

A time-honored and perhaps apocryphal story about Nagurski is a scoring gallop that he made against the Washington Redskins, knocking two linebackers in opposite directions, stomping a defensive back and crushing a safety, then bouncing off the goalposts and cracking Wrigley Field's brick wall. On returning to the huddle for the extra point try, he reportedly said: "That last guy hit me awfully hard."

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Sayers is his own mountain.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gale Sayers = Sandy Koufax

Possibly the best running back ever, possibly the best pitcher ever. But both disqualified for the honor due to injuries.

lurker

Liked Posts:
Dave Wannstedt because..... the stache

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tricky5544

Liked Posts:
I would take Urlacher because I remember him the most being 41 years of age, but there can be 8 people not four. Off topic but still on, Dikta was not the reason we lost or won more super bowls. If McMahon never gets hurt I truely believe the Bears win at least 2 more. McMahon was a lot better then people think.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Shocked that Mike McCaskey didn't make anyone's list.
Obviously he is part of our Mount Rushmore, every head needs an asshole on the back end.

Now THAT is another good question:

Who are the 5 Mount Rushmore of the Bears Back Ends?

Not thinking too much ...

Mike McCaskey if for nothing else than for announcing a new head coach without even having signed him to a contract.

Cade McNown - hated the little shit

Curtis P. Enis - Or just Penis.

Phil Emery - Trestman and the Cutler contract.

Trestman - building the man and replacing Marinelli with Tucker

Ok, I have 5. So sue me.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
My original thought was Ditka. He was the leading receiver for a championship Bears team. He was the coach of the only Superbowl winning Bears team. Also has a legendary persona.

Sayers and Urlacher are also pretty good choices.

But I think I'd go with Luckman just for variety's sake. You put Ditka, Urlacher, Singletary or Sayers; you're adding a 2nd coach, LB, or RB. Then again, Ditka was a player too and at a different position. But every franchise should probably have a QB on their Mount Rushmore. Luckman still is the franchise standard and won championships.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Half the stories the players tell don't even line up with reality and what happened.

Here's what actually happened:

The week after the McMahon injury T-Suck started vs the Steelers. Threw 0 TD's and 2 INT's. He was terrible.
The week after that the Bears blew out the Bucs and Flutie got some mop up duty. T-Suck was ok.
T-Suck got hurt about 3 plays into the next game against Detroit. Flutie came in and played "meh". Bears win.
Flutie starts the next week against Dallas in part due to the T-Suck injury, plays really well, and the Bears win.

Ditka starts Flutie for the playoff game. Flutie didn't just get handed the starting job. On top of all this Fuller and T-Suck were abysmal in 1986. They combined for something like 4 TDs and 14 INT's. That's not game manager football.

The entire kicker to this is look at the career Flutie went on to have...compare that to the career of T-Suck, Fuller, etc. I'd say Ditka ended up being pretty much correct about Flutie. It's odd how this narrative is on it's head. Had Ditka run FLutie out of town people would look at Flutie's subsequent success as an indictment of Ditka...but in this current situation no one even acknowledges Ditka was right about Flutie.

McMahon was an asshat during this entire situation too. Actively turning the team against Flutie and decisions that coaches were making. That's not a great thing to do.
As much as I lik McMahon, I have to agree.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I would have to go Sid Luckman only because it would be pretty embarrassing that a Pro Football team that has existed as long as the Bears have to not have one quarterback up there.

Also...is Halas really necessary?

It's kind of like making the first induction into the Rock n Roll HOF the man that owns the building.
On Halas's own merit, consider this:

1. Six NFL Championships as a head coach is tied for the most all time with Green Bay's Curly Lambeau.

2. In 40 years as a coach he endured only six losing seasons.

3. Then back to founder of Chicago Bears and co-founder of NFL.

Might as well consider Head Coach as part of the team.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I think the first three are pretty easy IMO:

Halas
Payton
Butkus

The 4th is tough.

Singletary
Ditka
Hampton
Urlacher
Sayers
Luckman
???
I would agree those three stand out. But who says our Mount Halas can only have four faces?

If only one more player, I'd say it's between:

• Sid Luckman
  • Gayle Sayers
  • Mike Ditka
  • Richard Dent

I'd go with Sid Luckman --

• Lead Bears to 4 Championships
  • He was named the NFL's Most Valuable Player in 1943.
  • Luckman was also a 3× NFL All-Star (1940–42),
  • 5× First-team All-Pro (1941–44, 1947),
  • Second-Team All-Pro (1946),
  • 3× NFL passing yards leader (1943, 1945, and 1946),
  • 3× NFL passing touchdowns leader (1943, 1945, and 1946),
  • 3× NFL passer rating leader (1941, 1943, and 1946),
  • named to the NFL 1940s All-Decade Team, and
  • tied the NFL record of 7 touchdown passes in a game.

How about the Seven Headed Mount Halas

Halas - Payton - Butkus - Sayers - Luckman - Dent - Dikta

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Here you go prancing Nancy boys

[video=youtube;qJzEgMhU9_Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJzEgMhU9_Q[/video]

10veitout

Quack quack 🦆
Liked Posts:
Cutler. Cutler. Cutler. Cutler. And finally, the great Jay Cutler.