Bears News From CSN: Kyle Longs extension is a statement

Nick80

Liked Posts:

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Kyle Long really does talk a lot. He seemingly can't go 2 days without offering his opinion to the media. Very uncanny for a RG to do.. in fact, I can't think of a single NFL guard who has ever talked to the media this much.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Kyle Long really does talk a lot. He seemingly can't go 2 days without offering his opinion to the media. Very uncanny for a RG to do.. in fact, I can't think of a single NFL guard who has ever talked to the media this much.

So what? He's a team leader and arguably the best player. Plus, he's incredibly positive. Jeffery should pay attention and get the hint.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Novac, you are starting to sway the boards on Long

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So what? He's a team leader and arguably the best player. Plus, he's incredibly positive. Jeffery should pay attention and get the hint.

Not saying it's a bad thing, per se, just undeniably odd for a player at his position.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Makes sense for the Bears to extend Long after his debilitating labrum injury, which, per the norm, the Bears have yet to indicate the severity. Giving an injured RG $30M guaranteed while he still has two years left on his current deal seems like a sound financial plan. Good thing the Bears didn't offer the same extension to Alshon Jeffery...because what if Jeffery got hurt?

Word on the street is a labrum injury is not serious for linemen. Just pain management. Kinda like being on this board.

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
I havent liked an Bears Olineman since Kruetz and Big Cat Williams so im pretty pumped we got him. I dont care if he gives a statement everyday until he retires. The guy is a model NFL player and i wish we had more kyle longs on the bears.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I havent liked an Bears Olineman since Kruetz and Big Cat Williams so im pretty pumped we got him. I dont care if he gives a statement everyday until he retires. The guy is a model NFL player and i wish we had more kyle longs on the bears.

Remember when he tried to kick that guy on the Rams? That was awesome.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Judging from this response, I've obviously failed.

Glad to know that its normal for one superstar to be franchised for fear of future injury, while the other superstar is injured and given an extension with two years left on the contract.

Perhaps a great mind such as yourself can explain the timing of this to me. Thanks in advance.

lots of money under the cap to use right before the season starts...no more big name Free Agents available...injury is historically something easily dealt with in off season and can be played thru during regular season...

this isn't a knee injury or anything anyone is even remotely concerned about that will affect him down the road...

Okung played through the season with it. Some players can do it. Players of all sports have played through it for entire seasons. Some players can some players can't. Apparently Long is of the can variety for now.

I think that about covers what I care to point out.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Judging from this response, I've obviously failed.

Glad to know that its normal for one superstar to be franchised for fear of future injury, while the other superstar is injured and given an extension with two years left on the contract.

Perhaps a great mind such as yourself can explain the timing of this to me. Thanks in advance.

They won't, once Jeffery leaves they will talk up White and say Jeffery was a overrated bum, who was not on the same page as the GM and Pace

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, thats good. Long has yet to play a regular season game with the injury, but apparently Long can play through it for the entire season. Gotcha.

this response is Rask worthy.....

he is slated to start so until I hear differently......

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:

I've been saying for years that he's the face of our franchise now. People laughed at me here and said an Olineman could never be the face of an NFL franchise.

I really think they're wrong

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
maybe you shouldn't look at him with such a closed mind

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
"Kyle Long knew the day he was drafted — his father Howie and brother Chris let him know in no uncertain terms that he was coming to one of the great sports situations in the country — that he wanted to be a Chicago Bear, not just for his rookie contract, but long, long after that"

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-bears/kyle-longs-four-year-contract-extension-bears-mission-statement
I was hoping the bears would get this done sooner than later. I hope he is able to retire a bear it looks that way but with they way the nfl is you never know.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Player A has shown the ability to play through soft tissue injuries. Player B hasn't. Take a wild guess on which player gets an extension. You can throw logic out the window and still have a 50/50 shot.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Happy they extended Long. He was one of the very few gifts Emery left us with.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Makes sense. Kyle Long being slated to start in Week 1 is the equivalent to players "of all sports" playing entire seasons with labrum injuries. I was confused, but now its clear. My apologies.

Rory... Any idea how serious the labrum injury was? I haven't heard a thing about the nature or severity of the injury. I'm going to assume (and we all know what that means) the Bears Organization has a clue and gave him the extension with this understanding. I would be therefore shocked if he couldn't go the entire year do to this injury. Now. Maybe he has another injury to the shoulder, or it couldn't hold up, or brakes a leg Sunday, time will tell.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Its near certainty we are going to lose Alshon to free agency. Most people already know how huge of an Alshon homer I am. I am in the process of accepting this fate. I don't like it one bit but there isn't shit I can do about it. Other than maintain my crusade that Pace is a self-interested moron. Stay tuned for more of that as he keeps proving it going forward.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Its near certainty we are going to lose Alshon to free agency. Most people already know how huge of an Alshon homer I am. I am in the process of accepting this fate. I don't like it one bit but there isn't shit I can do about it. Other than maintain my crusade that Pace is a self-interested moron. Stay tuned for more of that as he keeps proving it going forward.

Or, they just want to let the season play out. Prove he can stay available and earn the type of money he's asking for.