Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
In psychology, this is called recency bias. Because the most recent look of the D was of them giving up the TD, fans are ignoring the overall good game they played. Because the most recent look of the O was them driving down the field for the TD and then for the FG try, fans are ignoring the overall below average game they played. Anyone actually evaluating the whole game objectively would say the D played good despite the late TD and the O was below average despite the last minute drives.

The amusing thing is in the Watson vs Trubs thread, you have some fans asking if Mahomes was exposed by the Pats in the playoff game. Only Bears fans can simultaneously celebrate 15 points in a loss while also arguing that a guy that put up 31 second half points was exposed.
Really? I think making a big deal about 15 points as not being playoff caliber after a loss is recency bias.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Short lived Mack Vortex.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Critiquing the defense in the playoff game is not recency bias it is looking at an elite defense that allowed a 90 yard TD drive because of,

-3rd down unsportsmanlike conduct
-40 yard pass interference on a backup WR
-too many men on the field
-10 men on the field for a TD

That was one drive. They deserved to be critized for commiting 4 brutal plays on one drive than handed the Eagles a TD. I don’t care if that was the only points the Eagles scored that drive was inexcusable.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Really? I think making a big deal about 15 points as not being playoff caliber after a loss is recency bias.

Except I was saying it since the Rams and Niners game. I am not the one that keeps bringing it up. People butt hurt about it are the ones that keep bringing it up. I just respond. Perhaps you should discuss your concerns about it with those posters.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Critiquing the defense in the playoff game is not recency bias it is looking at an elite defense that allowed a 90 yard TD drive because of,

-3rd down unsportsmanlike conduct
-40 yard pass interference on a backup WR
-too many men on the field
-10 men on the field for a TD

That was one drive. They deserved to be critized for commiting 4 brutal plays on one drive than handed the Eagles a TD. I don’t care if that was the only points the Eagles scored that drive was inexcusable.

No one is saying you can't criticize them. I was responding to the poster that implied they deserve more blame than the O.

That is absurd. The D held the Eagles below their season average which happened to be the No 1 scoring D in the NFL. You can criticize them for their mistakes on that drive while still acknowleding that overalll they played a good game.

By contrast, the O scored 15 points which again would rank 31st in NFL. You can credit their last two drives while acknowledging that overall they had a poor game offensively.

The recency bias comes from weighting those last moments more than the whole game. A competent offensive performance from the O and we bury the Eagles long before the last moments of the 4th.

What I find inexcusable is having the ball at the Philly 48 and coming away with zero points. Or having a drive late in 4th before Philly TD drive and getting -2 yards before having to punt. Or completing a big pass to ARob on the last drive but not being prepared ro run a play so having to blow a timeout. Or ARob not dragging his foot like WRs learn in high school.

If we talking mistakes, the O made a lot of them on the way to their 2nd lowest point total for the entire season besting only the 14 points they put up against the niners.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No one is saying you can't criticize them. I was responding to the poster that implied they deserve more blame than the O.

That is absurd. The D held the Eagles below their season average which happened to be the No 1 scoring D in the NFL. You can criticize them for their mistakes on that drive while still acknowleding that overalll they played a good game.

By contrast, the O scored 15 points which again would rank 31st in NFL. You can credit their last two drives while acknowledging that overall they had a poor game offensively.

The recency bias comes from weighting those last moments more than the whole game. A competent offensive performance from the O and we bury the Eagles long before the last moments of the 4th.

Obviously, the offense deserves more blame.

But it is also a mistake to hold the offense and the defense to the same expectations. With good reason the defense was expected to be much better than the offense. The defense did not live up to expectations, regardless of the number of points. That is due to how the points were scored.

So, regardless of what the score was the blame situation was closer than we think by just looking at the box score.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:

But it is also a mistake to hold the offense and the defense to the same expectations. With good reason the defense was expected to be much better than the offense. The defense did not live up to expectations, regardless of the number of points. That is due to how the points were scored.

So, regardless of what the score was the blame situation was closer than we think by just looking at the box score.
Sorry, but you have to field at least a competent offense. If you can't win when holding your opponent to 15 points, you likely do not have a competent offense.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sorry, but you have to field at least a competent offense. If you can't win when holding your opponent to 15 points, you likely do not have a competent offense.

No one is denying that.

But your elite defense can not also piss down it’s leg and hand the other team 7 points without them even trying.

Neither unit was good enough regardless of the final score.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
No one is denying that.

But your elite defense can not also piss down it’s leg and hand the other team 7 points without them even trying.

Neither unit was good enough regardless of the final score.
It was a penalty-laden drive. Those are always the toughest to swallow.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It was a penalty-laden drive. Those are always the toughest to swallow.

3/4 issues where sloppy mistakes you should not make.

On the 2nd TD drive we had,

-multiple missed tackles
-Amos allows an easy 3rd and 9 to the 1, he is playing 12 yards off.
-McManis blows the coverage on the TD, he has safety help inside and allows and outside release

The defense has multiple issues that we had not seen that season.

Neither unit met the expectations for them individually.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
What are the odds that Hunt messes up again? It's a real gamble to bet on a man who likely won't be available because of suspensions or other irresponsible behavior.

I'd rather see a good character RB drafted in the 3rd or 4th round.
Do both......Stock the RB position this offseason. Howard/Cohen are still on rookie deals, Hunt if signed would be on a show me type deal, add a rookie with one of our top two picks.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
3/4 issues where sloppy mistakes you should not make.

On the 2nd TD drive we had,

-multiple missed tackles
-Amos allows an easy 3rd and 9 to the 1, he is playing 12 yards off.
-McManis blows the coverage on the TD, he has safety help inside and allows and outside release

The defense has multiple issues that we had not seen that season.

Neither unit met the expectations for them individually.
Would seem to be that proverbial "choking" at the most critical and inopportune time.

I've always hated the penalty for PI. Feels like it rewards the offense in excess. Penalty should be the same as defensive holding...but, then again, guess that would just encourage more PI. :lol:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Only on the Bears board would it be believed that the defense did its job after giving up the game winning TD.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Only on the Bears board would it be believed that the defense did its job after giving up the game winning TD.

Only on the Bears board would it be believed that the offense didn't do its job after setting up the Special Teams for an easy game winning FG.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Only on the Bears board would it be believed that the offense didn't do its job after setting up the Special Teams for an easy game winning FG.

Only on the bears board would somebody criticize the best WR on the team because the ball was spread out more

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Only on a Bears board would some mercilessly go after Josh Bellamy only to have him turn around and have a really nice season.

Oh wait, that was me.

Nevermind, I didn’t understand the game.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

The D lived up to the expectations of a No 1 D. Giving up 17.7 PPG does not preclude you making mistakes. In fact, it is the mistakes that result in you giving up the points as if you were mistake free then you would give up closer to zero.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Only on a Bears board would fans cry because the D couldn't hold a team to 10 points while praising 15 points on O.

Only on the Bears board can 15 points be considerd the O doing their job.

Only on the bears board would somebody criticize the best WR on the team because the ball was spread out more

Only on the Bears board can fans celebrate 754 yards from a No 1 WR.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Only on a Bears board would fans cry because the D couldn't hold a team to 10 points while praising 15 points on O.

Only on the Bears board can 15 points be considerd the O doing their job.

Only on the Bears board can fans celebrate 754 yards from a No 1 WR.

Only on the bears board would somebody find multiple reasons to nitpick a winning season nobody thought they would have