Bears rolling the dice big time on inexperienced Matt Nagy

billwade

Liked Posts:
I’m working hard at trying to get excited about the Bears’ decision to hire Matt Nagy as their head coach. I really am.

But there’s not a whole lot to work with here. His first three jobs in the NFL were as a coaching intern (2008-09), coaches’ assistant (2010) and offensive quality control coach (2011-12), all with the Eagles. His first big-boy job was when head coach Andy Reid hired him as the Chiefs quarterbacks coach in 2013. He became offensive coordinator in 2016 but didn’t start calling plays until 11 games into this season.

That’s correct: The man the Bears are relying on to run their offense has been a play caller for all of five NFL games.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/chicago-bears-matt-nagy-ryan-pace-mitch-trubisky/

billwade

Liked Posts:
Is this for real? He's called the plays for five games?

I'm trying to understand this hire. relative to Josh McDaniels, Nagy is a neophyte. Did he jump at the job because the only other team kicking the tires was the Colts? I'm trying to understand why the Bears would take a flier on him when Mcdaniels and Shurmur were available?

I hope this works out, but I agree it's a big roll of the dice.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m working hard at trying to get excited about the Bears’ decision to hire Matt Nagy as their head coach. I really am.

But there’s not a whole lot to work with here. His first three jobs in the NFL were as a coaching intern (2008-09), coaches’ assistant (2010) and offensive quality control coach (2011-12), all with the Eagles. His first big-boy job was when head coach Andy Reid hired him as the Chiefs quarterbacks coach in 2013. He became offensive coordinator in 2016 but didn’t start calling plays until 11 games into this season.

That’s correct: The man the Bears are relying on to run their offense has been a play caller for all of five NFL games.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/chicago-bears-matt-nagy-ryan-pace-mitch-trubisky/

Surprised you didn't wait for Shoopsters version.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
I understand the apprehension, but really bring up McDaniels as the more sure thing? In 1.5 years he literally had every single coach and player despising his existence, so much that they were willing to publicly talk about how much they hated him when he was gone. Would that not be a risk?

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I'm trying to understand this hire. relative to Josh McDaniels, Nagy is a neophyte. Did he jump at the job because the only other team kicking the tires was the Colts? I'm trying to understand why the Bears would take a flier on him when Mcdaniels and Shurmur were available?

It's always a risk. What makes you think either of those guys would do any better? Both failed when given a chance. There's no safe hire. We'll just have to see how it works out.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Maybe because Reid always wants to call plays but shared all his knowledge with him for 10 years? Maybe because Reid said he is the best candidate for head coach out of all the people that were under him? You’re not just a QB coach and stop learning. You’re not an OC that doesn’t call plays and just stands there on Sundays not doing anything. You still learn and Reid has taught him. Plus everything else he picked up from other people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Nagy is a former QB. Well-versed in offense. KC had a solid offense without any real stars, save perhaps Kelce. The Andy Reid coaching tree is full of successful coaches, too. Added bonus if "Vaunted" Vic is kept on as DC.

optimus prime

Liked Posts:
Pace just made his version of the trestman hire smfh. this guy had little to no play calling experience and he didn't develop any Qbs in KC.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Pace just made his version of the trestman hire smfh. this guy had little to no play calling experience and he didn't develop any Qbs in KC.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

How is Nagy like Trestman?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

I hate Bears fans.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

lol on this article.....Morrissey didn't do his research on who was calling the plays in the second half. It went pass heavy in the second half because Reid did not like the conservative 2nd quarter. Reid took over duties at the half....

Reid gave up play calling in week 5 not 11....

Last edited: