Bears rolling the dice big time on inexperienced Matt Nagy

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Nagy has a very thin resume. I wonder why the Bears would jump so fast on a guy with the least amount of experience of the available candidates. It's hard to understand.

Whether people want to believe it or not the chiefs wanted trubisky, nagy is a firm believer in the kid and the spread scheme with RPO's is a great fit for trubisky stemming from his UNC days. Shurmur was probably the next best coach but it is what it is...Flip just doesnt seem to have the connections to build a quality staff and mcdaniels no matter what he says has that denver debacle that will continue to haunt him.

Also i believe when pederson was hired, reid helped him put together a quality staff, something he can also do for nagy.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Nagy has a very thin resume. I wonder why the Bears would jump so fast on a guy with the least amount of experience of the available candidates. It's hard to understand.

So who was your guy, McDaniels or Shurmur?

Bronko

Liked Posts:
You can always find someone to say complimentary things about coaching prospects, esp. after they've been hired. I recall identical nice things said about Trestman and Jauron, and how lucky the Bears were to choose them. That talk means nothing to me until there's Chicago context.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They are rolling the dice with the Nagy hire but I felt like the dice needed to be rolled. Unless they could lure a Harbaugh or Shaw away from the NCAA, you had two retreads who failed at HC already and a bunch of high risk guys like Nagy.

It's time that this organization did something bold to try and reverse their fortunes and this is a bold move by Pace and I applaud it.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
Matt "Sha Na" Nagy was actually the shoopster's pick, kids. Go look it up. Guess that blows your wade/shoopster narrative out of the water . . .

. . . SUMBICHES! . . .

EL ROCKSTEADY

CBMB Refugee
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So, what should you do, throw a dart at names on a dartboard? I understand no one is a sure bet, but all things given, wouldn't you want the guy with the deepest resume that demonstrates success and a familiarity with the responsibilities of a HC? I hope Nagy is very successful, but I'm interested to know what sweat ted and george McCaskey were thinking that made them decide this was their guy.

I get it and completely agree, but to the point that the Bears are taking a big risk like the article says? Based on the success hes had and basically in the same system all those years, i never considered Nagy the risky candidate.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nagy may be a risk, but the reward - IF it comes through - could be worth it. He appears to be a legitimate NFL-quality offensive mind, not a nerdy pretender like Marc "Canada Dry" Trestman.

He's also - reportedly - "fiery." FINALLY, a "fiery" Head Coach for the first time since Ditka!

Seemingly everything Pace has done thus far has been high-stakes (i.e.: waiting too long to start the quarterback rebuild, a number of high-draft projects, the wide receivers) which is part of the reason why his "rebuild" is in "reboot." If he wants to paint himself in a corner once again on the Head Coach, so be it.

Either way, this is his last chance . . .

Toast88

Liked Posts:
To clear it up, since a lot of people are confused.

Nagy took over playcalling with five games left in the season, against the Jets, a game the Chiefs lost. They then went on a 4-0 run, including primetime wins against the Raiders and Chargers that would’ve cost them the division had they lost. Then obviously the playoff game. As for who called plays the second half of the Titans game, no one knows for sure. We probably never will. And I’m not sure it matters. If it was Nagy, what does that prove? You could just as easily point to the first half as the half we should all care about.

As for the 2015 season or whatever it was, Peterson took over one half of each game playcalling when the Chiefs went 1-4. Afterward they went undefeated.

Andy Reid wants his guys to succeed. That’s why he grooms them to be playcallers and head coaches. Seems to have worked out so far for his coaching tree.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

Known=failure vs Unknown
Only Bears fans could want failures because they know what they're getting. They want them as players, they want them as coaches.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Known=failure vs Unknown
Only Bears fans could want failures because they know what they're getting. They want them as players, they want them as coaches.
So this is why Trubisky playing so little was the advantage then?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
I’m working hard at trying to get excited about the Bears’ decision to hire Matt Nagy as their head coach. I really am.

But there’s not a whole lot to work with here. His first three jobs in the NFL were as a coaching intern (2008-09), coaches’ assistant (2010) and offensive quality control coach (2011-12), all with the Eagles. His first big-boy job was when head coach Andy Reid hired him as the Chiefs quarterbacks coach in 2013. He became offensive coordinator in 2016 but didn’t start calling plays until 11 games into this season.

That’s correct: The man the Bears are relying on to run their offense has been a play caller for all of five NFL games.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/chicago-bears-matt-nagy-ryan-pace-mitch-trubisky/
Is this for real? He's called the plays for five games?

I'm trying to understand this hire. relative to Josh McDaniels, Nagy is a neophyte. Did he jump at the job because the only other team kicking the tires was the Colts? I'm trying to understand why the Bears would take a flier on him when Mcdaniels and Shurmur were available?

I hope this works out, but I agree it's a big roll of the dice.
How are we 72 posts into this thing and not one person has asked whether "billwade" is the original account or the alt? Obviously, he thought he signed into his other account.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The real difference is are you just hiring a guy you "think" is best for your QB or are you hiring a great football guy who understands the importance and has a grasp on all phases of the game? Think it's clear what the Bears opted for here.
Having a successful QB can overcome most things in the NFL

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
How are we 72 posts into this thing and not one person has asked whether "billwade" is the original account or the alt? Obviously, he thought he signed into his other account.

I thought it was already established that he was an Alt.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
They are rolling the dice with the Nagy hire but I felt like the dice needed to be rolled. Unless they could lure a Harbaugh or Shaw away from the NCAA, you had two retreads who failed at HC already and a bunch of high risk guys like Nagy.

It's time that this organization did something bold to try and reverse their fortunes and this is a bold move by Pace and I applaud it.

Seems like Pace is using a pretty proven template at this point. Andy Reid comes from a very nice coaching tree. And has a nice one himself.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
So this is why Trubisky playing so little was the advantage then?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Sort of. He hasn't learned bad habits or racked up injuries from college football.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Pace just made his version of the trestman hire smfh. this guy had little to no play calling experience and he didn't develop any Qbs in KC.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
You're an idiot!!!!!!! 1)The Trestman comparison is just stupid 2)Alex Smith by FAR had his best year under Nagy this season

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk