Bears rolling the dice big time on inexperienced Matt Nagy

JUSTWIN

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Risk vs reward. You can always go status quo and not lose much but won't win much either.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I’m working hard at trying to get excited about the Bears’ decision to hire Matt Nagy as their head coach. I really am.

But there’s not a whole lot to work with here. His first three jobs in the NFL were as a coaching intern (2008-09), coaches’ assistant (2010) and offensive quality control coach (2011-12), all with the Eagles. His first big-boy job was when head coach Andy Reid hired him as the Chiefs quarterbacks coach in 2013. He became offensive coordinator in 2016 but didn’t start calling plays until 11 games into this season.

That’s correct: The man the Bears are relying on to run their offense has been a play caller for all of five NFL games.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/chicago-bears-matt-nagy-ryan-pace-mitch-trubisky/

Do you know how long Doug Pederson called the plays for when he was under Reid?

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m working hard at trying to get excited about the Bears’ decision to hire Matt Nagy as their head coach. I really am.

But there’s not a whole lot to work with here. His first three jobs in the NFL were as a coaching intern (2008-09), coaches’ assistant (2010) and offensive quality control coach (2011-12), all with the Eagles. His first big-boy job was when head coach Andy Reid hired him as the Chiefs quarterbacks coach in 2013. He became offensive coordinator in 2016 but didn’t start calling plays until 11 games into this season.

That’s correct: The man the Bears are relying on to run their offense has been a play caller for all of five NFL games.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/chicago-bears-matt-nagy-ryan-pace-mitch-trubisky/

Unless I'm missing something, we're currently in the 2017-2018 Season. I'm not gonna pull out the caculator on this one so someone check my math, but based on my caclulations, he's called 21 games not including the playoffs? :shrug:

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is a bit of a gamble. Fox wasn't a gamble. He was the conservative old school guy.......and it sucked.

This team and the bit of talent on it, needs an innovative guy to create mismatches. He isn't as established as Shurmur of McDaniels, but McD was a disaster last time he coached. The easy choice would have been Shurmur, the Reid tree has had some success and I guess Nagy is as good as a choice as any.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
The risk factor is there for all candidates we have seen flops from experienced guys and green guys

Our problem is can pace start scoring on some talent in fa to go with his draft picks

Wildest5

Liked Posts:

To be fair though, you have to get your start somewhere and you have to learn how to walk before you can run. And who says that Nagy will be brought in to call offensive plays. It’s all gonna depend who the OC is gonna be.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Trestman was a HC. A winning HC. He went back to being a winning HC. In Canada.

Much like QBs, you either take your chances or you get someone else's garbage. Anyone care to guess what Ditka's extensive coaching career was before he was hired as the Bears HC?

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
This was probably the worst market for head coaches in a long time.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Is this for real? He's called the plays for five games?

I'm trying to understand this hire. relative to Josh McDaniels, Nagy is a neophyte. Did he jump at the job because the only other team kicking the tires was the Colts? I'm trying to understand why the Bears would take a flier on him when Mcdaniels and Shurmur were available?

I hope this works out, but I agree it's a big roll of the dice.

http://www.chiefs.com/longreads/2017/mattnagy.html

I recommend you read this piece on Nagy. Will give you some good insight into his background, where he comes from, and how he fell into coaching. Around the league, he was probably one of the hottest Head coaching candidates and considered an up and comer.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
- He wants Fangio
- As QB coach Alex Smith made two pro bowls and the best stretch of his career.
- In the 5 games KC offense was rolling
- He knows how to use a TE and RB in the offensive scene.
- His play calling has a lot of RPOs, which will be of great use with TRUs skill set.
- He’s a young guy who hopefully will be innovative and aspiring to the players.
- Andy Reid coaching tree.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did I miss something in that article?

Says Reid gave up playcalling duties after 1-3 stretch, which would coincide with the loss at home to the Bills, which was week 11. It then refers to a 4-0 stretch starting on 12/3. So when did Nagy take over playcalling duties?

yes it was my bad...it was later in the year......He wasn't calling plays until then

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I would be alot more intrigued about this hire had I not just seen the Chiefs absolutely collapse just 48 hours ago. They didn't score a point in the second half....

BEARS

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Is the shoopster version.......

It's clearly not the Shoopster version, because at no point did he make reference to Matt Nagy as...

"Matty 'Dumb ass nickname given by an idiot' Nagy"

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I understand the apprehension, but really bring up McDaniels as the more sure thing? In 1.5 years he literally had every single coach and player despising his existence, so much that they were willing to publicly talk about how much they hated him when he was gone. Would that not be a risk?

Stop making sense, you'll loose that red rating.