Bears rolling the dice big time on inexperienced Matt Nagy

SiDe WaYs

Liked Posts:
I would be alot more intrigued about this hire had I not just seen the Chiefs absolutely collapse just 48 hours ago. They didn't score a point in the second half....

BEARS

He didn’t call the plays in the wildcard game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would be alot more intrigued about this hire had I not just seen the Chiefs absolutely collapse just 48 hours ago. They didn't score a point in the second half....

BEARS

It has been stated Reid took over playcalling duties at some point in the second half.

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
It has been stated Reid took over playcalling duties at some point in the second half.

OK then. Fair enough. Welcome to the beloved. We are in bad place right now, but looking toward the future. Let's see what he brings....

BEARS

Username

Liked Posts:
Nagy is a former QB. Well-versed in offense. KC had a solid offense without any real stars, save perhaps Kelce. The Andy Reid coaching tree is full of successful coaches, too. Added bonus if "Vaunted" Vic is kept on as DC.

Naglet: Hi Biscuit, I'm your new Head Coach.

Biscuit: Hi! So glad you're here. I don't have clue to what I'm doing. I only started 8 games in college and was mediocre..

Naglet: That's ok, either do I! I only called plays for 5 games, and when it came to a game that actually meant something, I was told to hold a clipboard and say nothing. Easiest paycheck of my life!! I told Pace that, but he said he really likes Chris Elliot, and I look just like him, so why not...?

Biscuit: Chris who? Anyway.. what are we going to do?

Naglet: Well same as last year. If you get in trouble, just run for your life.

Biscuit: Ok, cool, I'm pretty good at that.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Job interview:

Did you call the second half plays on Saturday?

Nagy: No

You are hired.

From the Chiefs Board

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Bombshell! Nagy to Bears was a done deal before Chiefs playoff game. Reid took back play scheming and calling to allow Nagy time to prep for his interview. Nagy helped script first 15 plays with Reid, who then took over play calling.

From Chiefs Board as well

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Naglet: Hi Biscuit, I'm your new Head Coach.

Biscuit: Hi! So glad you're here. I don't have clue to what I'm doing. I only started 8 games in college and was mediocre..

Naglet: That's ok, either do I! I only called plays for 5 games, and when it came to a game that actually meant something, I was told to hold a clipboard and say nothing. Easiest paycheck of my life!! I told Pace that, but he said he really likes Chris Elliot, and I look just like him, so why not...?

Biscuit: Chris who? Anyway.. what are we going to do?

Naglet: Well same as last year. If you get in trouble, just run for your life.

Biscuit: Ok, cool, I'm pretty good at that.

I bet that was hilarious in your head.

EL ROCKSTEADY

CBMB Refugee
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I’m working hard at trying to get excited about the Bears’ decision to hire Matt Nagy as their head coach. I really am.

But there’s not a whole lot to work with here. His first three jobs in the NFL were as a coaching intern (2008-09), coaches’ assistant (2010) and offensive quality control coach (2011-12), all with the Eagles. His first big-boy job was when head coach Andy Reid hired him as the Chiefs quarterbacks coach in 2013. He became offensive coordinator in 2016 but didn’t start calling plays until 11 games into this season.

That’s correct: The man the Bears are relying on to run their offense has been a play caller for all of five NFL games.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/chicago-bears-matt-nagy-ryan-pace-mitch-trubisky/

Rolling the dice big time? I hate to say it, but my years watching football and liking or disliking, one thing holds true, past performance even in the same role is weighted too heavily. We've seen proven coaches bomb (Fox) and young coaches perceived as inexperienced win super bowls (McCarthy). youre rolling the dice on every candidate especially if you hire one coming out of New England lol

Edit: I also like to point out that their are significant factors uncontrollable by the head coach with more than enough influence to define their tenure. Lets keep this one for at least 4 years.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I understand the apprehension, but really bring up McDaniels as the more sure thing? In 1.5 years he literally had every single coach and player despising his existence, so much that they were willing to publicly talk about how much they hated him when he was gone. Would that not be a risk?
The real difference is are you just hiring a guy you "think" is best for your QB or are you hiring a great football guy who understands the importance and has a grasp on all phases of the game? Think it's clear what the Bears opted for here.

billwade

Liked Posts:
It's always a risk. What makes you think either of those guys would do any better? Both failed when given a chance. There's no safe hire. We'll just have to see how it works out.

Nagy has a very thin resume. I wonder why the Bears would jump so fast on a guy with the least amount of experience of the available candidates. It's hard to understand.

billwade

Liked Posts:
Rolling the dice big time? I hate to say it, but my years watching football and liking or disliking, one thing holds true, past performance even in the same role is weighted too heavily. We've seen proven coaches bomb (Fox) and young coaches perceived as inexperienced win super bowls (McCarthy). youre rolling the dice on every candidate especially if you hire one coming out of New England lol

Edit: I also like to point out that their are significant factors uncontrollable by the head coach with more than enough influence to define their tenure. Lets keep this one for at least 4 years.

So, what should you do, throw a dart at names on a dartboard? I understand no one is a sure bet, but all things given, wouldn't you want the guy with the deepest resume that demonstrates success and a familiarity with the responsibilities of a HC? I hope Nagy is very successful, but I'm interested to know what sweat ted and george McCaskey were thinking that made them decide this was their guy.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
For what it is worth the Chiefs fans liked him

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=313061

I actually think that holds more water than all of the media hoopla... Most fan bases will not hold back, if they see a turd they will call it a turd.

All I can hope for is to see both Nagy and Trubisky take a big leap forward next year, and continue to grow together all the way to a SB.