Bears should trade for Haskins

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I'm interested in Haskins because I think the coaching staff will have a blank slate to work with, not because he can be marginally better than Trubisky. That's a question mark. Maybe he becomes great, maybe he's worse, maybe he's the same, I don't know. I just know it'd be basically the same as drafting a QB except he has gotten some sort of playing time at the NFL level. His release certainly concerns me, just seems really slow, but I did like the way he moved in the pocket in the last game. We'll see how he progresses this season, but the Redskins are just such a horrible franchise and situation. I honestly think they are the worst team in the league.

The Snyder bit is interesting, that I didn't know.
Well, Jay Gruden, for all his failures, is pretty good with the QB position. Remember, his offense made Kirk Cousins the QB that's received the most guaranteed money over the past 4 seasons (2 franchise tags and that crazy contract). As someone that watched Washington at least twice a season (division rival) Gruden is good at getting the QB easy, quick reads in favorable passing situations to get the QB going.

Anyway, when the season was getting away from him he was asked numerous times when Haskins would get the start and his answer was 'he's not ready'. With him being a Snyder player that might have been the real reason Dan fired him. Even when Bill Callahan took over on week 6 Haskins didn't get the start until week 9. Finally, if I'm talking to my buddies who root for the team and follow football Callahan has really dumbed down the offense and has went to a very run heavy style (like Fox did with Mitch).

Some liked Haskins at the draft, but I saw a very talented Ohio St team (13-1) with 2 draft eligible WRs (McLaurin and Campbell) along with another in KJ Hill that many liked. Those guys were running open all game. He was never really asked to make tight window throws. Remember that offense had people get excited over QBs in the past and none have worked out (JT Barrett). Look at Joe Burrow, who has moved into the #1 QB talk. His first year with LSU wasn't good. That was him converting from the Ohio St. offense. Now he's figured things out and looks like a solid prospect.

Add in that his first team was Washington with a mid-season coaching move his rookie year is a bit of a circus, along with not being that successful. IMHO he's got a long road to go before he's even 'average'.

Last edited:

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Well, Jay Gruden, for all his failures, is pretty good with the QB position. Remember, his offense made Kirk Cousins the QB that's received the most guaranteed money over the past 4 seasons (2 franchise tags and that crazy contract). As someone that watched Washington at least twice a season (division rival) Gruden is good at getting the QB easy, quick reads in favorable passing situations to get the QB going.

Anyway, when the season was getting away from him he was asked numerous times when Haskins would get the start and his answer was 'he's not ready'. With him being a Snyder player that might have been the real reason Dan fired him. Even when Bill Callahan took over on week 6 Haskins didn't get the start until week 9. Finally, if I'm talking to my buddies who root for the team and follow football Callahan has really dumbed down the offense and has went to a very run heavy style (like Fox did with Mitch).

Some liked Haskins at the draft, but I saw a very talented Ohio St team (13-1) with 2 draft eligible WRs (McLaurin and Campbell) along with another in KJ Hill that many liked.

I absolutely believe he was not ready. He still isn't. I'm only willing to take a stab at him because they get a first round QB without the price. If the Bears had a first round pick this year, I probably wouldn't be willing to take the chance. I just think his future is unknown. How he plays down the stretch will determine if he's worth the stab. I just wouldn't be surprised if the Redskins move away from him regardless because, well, they're the Redskins.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I absolutely believe he was not ready. He still isn't. I'm only willing to take a stab at him because they get a first round QB without the price. If the Bears had a first round pick this year, I probably wouldn't be willing to take the chance. I just think his future is unknown. How he plays down the stretch will determine if he's worth the stab. I just wouldn't be surprised if the Redskins move away from him regardless because, well, they're the Redskins.
Personally I think bringing in Haskins is just kicking the can down the road.

He'd fill a roster spot of someone you actually want to develop.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Somewhere, there is a Redskins fan saying they should trade for Trubisky because he is atleast better than Haskins.
Sadly, this is very true.

I've always wondered how this works. Does Washington think that Chicago's standards for a QB are so high that Mitch would naturally succeed elsewhere? Is Chicago thinking the same of Washington?

Isn't that just both fan bases thinking their expectations are lower and wiling to package off problems for new problems?

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Somewhere, there is a Redskins fan saying they should trade for Trubisky because he is atleast better than Haskins.

I never said he is better or will be better than Trubisky.