onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
LOL. I started this thread and it is not directed at you. That is too funny.

Last night I was going to start this thread about our defensive ranking but I was a bit drunk and fell asleep. Figured I would do it in the morning. Were you up all night or something, you seem a bit out of control and unhappy that our defense is playing above all expectations.

Can it DaaBears....I know this thread was directed at me.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, it is true. We are the number one defense in the entire NFC in yards allowed, which is a huge accomplishment from where we were just a year ago. The points per game has been coming down a lot over the last couple of games too, the defense only gave up 10 yesterday.

Rip it to shreds if you want, just posting the facts here. And yes, there are some bad stats too, why not just emphasize the great one for a while and enjoy being a Bears fan.
It's unbelievable how far the defense has come in such a short time. Had it not, the Bears would be sitting at 0-5. It's a return to normalcy. A return to Bears' football. My hat's off to Mr. Fangio.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Getting rid of Allen to put Acho in made a big difference as well. The Bears are actually stopping teams running game. Addition by subtraction. Also Mel Tucker should be put in cook county jail for the 2 years he ran the Bears Defense. Even Mel Tucker's family in Chicago was doubting him. Fangio can coach.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's fucking impressive!!

Never would have figured.

It doesn't tell the whole story but with a ragamuffin group of guys, many who are rookies or un drafted or let get by other teams... This is fucking impressive

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The job Pace has done must be recognized. Yes, Fangio deserves a lot (maybe most) of the credit. But the guys Pace has brought in are contributing in a big way. McPhee, Jenkins, Amos, Goldman, Porter, Acho.

I have faith in our new GM. This guy knows what he's doing.

:pace:

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Jeff Dickerson said something interesting on the radio.

He said that many beat reporters were surprised that McPhee was a unanimous vote for captain by his team mates after only being in the building a few months. He has never played a game in a Bears uniform, he is younger than other players, and he was voted captain.

Dickerson said he is that big of a presence in the building.

The article on McPhee after the 3rd straight lose showed how much he means to this team.

It's a nice change to have a vocal leader who leads by example and backs up his words.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
We appear to be getting better, that's for sure. This is also a team that is rebuilding and retooling. It's going to be a process, and it's going to take some time.

The last 2 weeks of football have been fun to watch. And even though I'm one of those people that thought maybe we should tank for draft picks, I'm still getting excited at every good play this team makes, and celebrated those 2 4th quarter TDs like a motherfucker.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We appear to be getting better, that's for sure. This is also a team that is rebuilding and retooling. It's going to be a process, and it's going to take some time.

The last 2 weeks of football have been fun to watch. And even though I'm one of those people that thought maybe we should tank for draft picks, I'm still getting excited at every good play this team makes, and celebrated those 2 4th quarter TDs like a motherfucker.

Thanks for not turning this into another Lockett thread. :yep:

dawags

Liked Posts:
Teams seem to be picking up Fangio's lining up 5 and rushing 4 just like they did Marinelli lining up 4 and mugging an LB. Stafford is a basket case right now with no running game. Would love to see Fangio dial up a few exotic blitzes early to rattle Stafford and not let him get into a comfort zone.

3rd N Long

Liked Posts:
[video=youtube_share;j13oJajXx0M]https://youtu.be/j13oJajXx0M[/video]

Daabears also made this thread the other day:

http://www.chicitysports.com/forum/...s-have-90-chance-of-Winning-Sunday?highlight=

Was that about you too?

Or is Daabears just pointing out fun facts that we all know (or at least most of us) do not necessarily prove anything?

Nope it just happened that this post was immediately after my post about the defense needing to step up its game concerning turnovers against Detroit. To which the very next comment was about me and immediately given a like from the OP but hey maybe you're right.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jeff Dickerson said something interesting on the radio.

He said that many beat reporters were surprised that McPhee was a unanimous vote for captain by his team mates after only being in the building a few months. He has never played a game in a Bears uniform, he is younger than other players, and he was voted captain.

Dickerson said he is that big of a presence in the building.

Isn't it obvious? He's an alpha male and responds better to alphas, not nerds! Desperado was right!

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The job Pace has done must be recognized. Yes, Fangio deserves a lot (maybe most) of the credit. But the guys Pace has brought in are contributing in a big way. McPhee, Jenkins, Amos, Goldman, Porter, Acho.

I have faith in our new GM. This guy knows what he's doing.

:pace:
just think about when his brain fully develops.

czman

Liked Posts:
Last season they gave up 6 yards per play. This season 5.4.

last season they were tied for second worst.

Now they are middle of the pack.

The penalties, short fields, and TOs will level out. yards per play is a good indicator of improvement since the sample size is much larger and field position does not affect it nearly as often.

If the Bears finish 13-18 in yards per play this season I will call that a huge improvement.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
You called that the defense, coached by a top3 DC instead of Mel Tucker, would be better than the 2 worst Bears defenses in Bears history?
Who are you... Nostradamus?

:rolling:

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Another interesting stat I have found concerning defense:

Despite our secondary not having an interception, we are 1st in the NFC and 3rd in the NFL in Passing Yards allowed!! A magnificent feat considering the lack of talent in the backfield.

The coaching staff is doing a great job! If we can get everyone healthy after the bye we will be in fairly good condition...no longer fighting for a top draft pick, but a playoff position!

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Never thought for one second, that they would turn this defense around this quickly. Im happier than a fairy with a bag dicks that it did though.

danchi23

Liked Posts:
I mean i have been seeing a better somewhat discipline D but number 1? Thats great.

Bort

Liked Posts:
We're still dead last in the most important defensive stat (points allowed per drive):

1 New York Jets 0.98
2 Denver Broncos 1.21
3 Seattle Seahawks 1.33
4 Carolina Panthers 1.45
5 Arizona Cardinals 1.52
6 Philadelphia Eagles 1.55
7 New York Giants 1.64
8 Washington Redskins 1.65
9 St. Louis Rams 1.70
10 Cincinnati Bengals 1.71
11 Green Bay Packers 1.73
12 Tennessee Titans 1.75
13 Minnesota Vikings 1.76
14 Pittsburgh Steelers 1.76
15 Buffalo Bills 1.77
16 Houston Texans 1.92
17 Miami Dolphins 1.96
18 Baltimore Ravens 1.98
19 Indianapolis Colts 2.00
20 Atlanta Falcons 2.02
21 San Diego Chargers 2.11
22 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2.12
23 Jacksonville Jaguars 2.13
24 Detroit Lions 2.13
25 Dallas Cowboys 2.14
26 New England Patriots 2.18
27 San Francisco 49ers 2.21
28 Cleveland Browns 2.27
29 New Orleans Saints 2.42
30 Kansas City Chiefs 2.44
31 Oakland Raiders 2.44
32 Chicago Bears 2.63

The good news is that number has actually come down quite a bit. It was over 3 a couple weeks ago. With our defense continuing to show improvement and the schedule softening up, we'll probably move up into respectable territory over the next month or so.

Also, note that we just played against #31 and #30 back-to-back.

Eric54

Liked Posts:
Oh, and every offense we've played are ranked 11 or higher in points per game. The Cardinals are number 1.